Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 PM

Just an idea or two...

So I hear that our cars run a bit lean to help them make emissions and all that. So, just thinking of a few things, and wondering what would happen.

I have an AEM UEGO wideband gauge and an aeromotive adjustable FPR laying around. Can't I just go out and crank up the fuel a bit and get a better AFR, or... is the computer going to try to change things when it sees that I'm running too much fuel at the o2 sensors? Also, are all Subaru fuel pumps like the same...fittings and all that? I mean, could I run a Walbro 255 pump for say a WRX in the SVX?

Also, What of ignition amplifiers? Would there be any positive effects from giving the coils 20 volts instead of 12? The one I had my eye on was the HKS Twin-Power. Any other good suggestions? If I ran that and a grounding kit, do you think anything good would happen? I've had good luck with grounding kits before. Haven't really made more power, but just a smoother idle, and just seemed.."perkier." Ok, so maybe the grounding kit wouldn't be too beneficial, but I still think the ignition amplifier idea still has some merit.

Anyways, I was just thinking of some things, and that's what I came up with. I have a dyno "fairly" close by, so I wouldn't have a problem with heading there and putting down some numbers, but I am just curious about even if this kind of thing is worth it.

Am I going to be spending lots of $$ for only a little power? Even if I do buy these other things, I'm still looking at another $500 or so, so is it even worth it?

Just give me your opinions, or specifically if you have any experience with any of these things? Please let me know. Thank you.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Also, I was thinking about whether or not the MAF would limit me. However, I don't think it will. It's not like I plan on taking in more air, I just want to give what's coming in more fuel and spark to make a bigger "bang."

Does that seem like a reasonable idea?

Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
In closed loop mode the ECU will shorten the fuel injector pulse with to try and keep the O2 reading where it thinks they should be. In open loop turning up the fuel presser will change the fuel to air mix
Old 04-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Subaru Swapper

I have a MSD stacker ignition. But can't say for sure if it added any power. Also the stock MAF maxes a out at around 250 HP I think. Some members have added a bypass hose and then added a RRFPR.

Last edited by AFBeefcake; 04-26-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Subaru Swapper

Heres the info on the MAF bypass
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29386
Old 04-26-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake View Post
In closed loop mode the ECU will shorten the fuel injector pulse with to try and keep the O2 reading where it thinks they should be. In open loop turning up the fuel presser will change the fuel to air mix
That's kinda what I wondered. So, it COULD give it more power in cruise-around mode, but when I stomp on it there will be no benefit.

Thanks for the info, by the way.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Subaru Swapper

I believe you have it backwards. At less then about %75 throttle the ECU operates in closed loop for emissions.

I have observed this with my fuel to air gauge. At less then %75 throttle the gauge bonces back and forth, as the ecu adjusts the fuel to air mix, but over %75 it stays in one place.

ECUtune's stage one chip changes the fuel to air mix to add more fuel I believe. After installing one in my car my a/f mix is a little more tords stoich by about 1 or 2 LEDs.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:58 PM

Well, I do have the ECUtune 1v5, so I'm probably kinda in the same boat.

Just wondering if there are things I can do (without being a computer programmer) to wrangle in some extra ponies. I would like to upgrade to the 2v7 sooner or later though, and do a little exhaust work. My car is fairly stock still and I'd like to keep things simple "for reliability sake" but I don't mind spending money on quality parts and upgrading in sensible areas.

I think I'll still look into the ignition stuff though. I'd like to turbocharge the car eventually anyway, so that is something that would be a good idea regardless.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Subaru Swapper

This is what I have for an ignition upgrade.

http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_3_7000.htm

I have the older model, but its still the same thing.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
So I hear that our cars run a bit lean to help them make emissions and all that. So, just thinking of a few things, and wondering what would happen.

I have an AEM UEGO wideband gauge and an aeromotive adjustable FPR laying around.
Nevin,

I could use your help with the items you purchased. Can you give me the exact model of the air/fuel ratio gauge and where we can purchase them from, and the price?

Also, what air/fuel ratio are you seeing when you go fuel throttle? Strive for a 13.0:1 air/fuel ratio. That is what would like to do. I NEED a wideband and an adjustable FPR (like what you got) for testing purposes. Thanks for any help on this.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Nevin,

I could use your help with the items you purchased. Can you give me the exact model of the air/fuel ratio gauge and where we can purchase them from, and the price?

Also, what air/fuel ratio are you seeing when you go fuel throttle? Strive for a 13.0:1 air/fuel ratio. That is what would like to do. I NEED a wideband and an adjustable FPR (like what you got) for testing purposes. Thanks for any help on this.

This unit is exactly like the one I purchased.

I actually bought it for another project that hasn't quite gotten off the ground yet, so I haven't actually hooked it up to the SVX yet. More so I was just wondering what would happen if I DID...

Here is an FPR just like mine. I've had it for a couple years on another car, but I was thinking of switching some things around and maybe freeing it up. Who knows. They're not too expensive though, so I could just as easily buy another.

Good luck with whatever you find.

If you get that regulator, you'll need to get some -6 to barbed fitting adapters, or whatever fitting for whatever lines you'll want to run.

Also, if you really want to, you could convert to a dual feed setup and equal out the pressure on both sides, as this unit has twin entries.

I guess I've never even looked at the stock setup, but I imagine that its just one regulator, and one side gets the fuel before the other. That in itself would be interesting to test...

Last edited by Nevin; 05-01-2008 at 07:04 PM.