Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Lol! It felt slower with them on if that meant anything. I took them off earlier. I did dyno with them on and lost.....I thought around 15whp?. The dyno was at a new location with new owner so it doesn't count. Same dyno though. The RX7s are on now. Hrrm...I never did post that plot up. Stupid paper copy. I go look for it now.
Overall gear ratio. In the sensible world of bicycles, it is correctly calibrated as wheel diameter for very good reason.

"Dyno" measurements are always suspect. Find a quiet stretch of slightly uphill road, record marking points, a stop watch and can you be certain of your results. What is more it is cheap.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
15whp is quite a loss. The reason I am asking is because when I moved up on rim size I noticed the car felt a little "weightier".
I just scanned a pic of the dyno sheet. I hate sheets. The torque line is so light, it doesn't come out. At least the figures of the two runs are on the bottom.

Looks like I exaggerated. It was only a 3whp difference. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31143.
The 7-10whp was when I removed a rubber hose on the intake for testing (Per Chike). Had something to do with simulating a maf bypass mod. Had a had a dyno file, I could overlay them. Oh...this was in 3rd gear. Then again...looked at the old run compared to this one. This one is uncorrected. The old run was 'Standard' with same smoothing. Looking at the old run in 3rd gear, uncorrected, came up with a peak whp of 163.36whp and 165.02whp the 2nd baseline run.. Not much difference.

Sorry to get off-topic.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-12-2007 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Oh finish your engine build or show up to a meet once a year would ya???

I have already got 2 full builds done and I am starting a 3rd in the next couple weeks... Not to mention 2 5 speeds and a bunch of other stuff including a set of coilovers.... who you callin a slacker??????

Tom

and you forgot to mention teaching full time while you're doing all of the above, ya Slacker!
-Bill (occassionally wishing he was still in his 20s)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-12-2007, 03:23 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Preliminary spy photos-->

My son's B-day is today and his B-day party is tomorrow. Gotta keep the family happy. Made dyno appointment for Wednesday. I still have to attach the vacuum hoses and add some clamps. Engine bay air filter is only for dyno testing. Dale's cold-air intake is in my garage. This is all for now.
***R.I.P***
Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
nice!! I would suggest clamps on the vaccum hoses as well

Tom
Old 10-13-2007, 03:20 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

It's ALIVE!!!!

Got vacuum hoses all together this afternoon. Started up without any issues. Asked the wifey to hit the gas a little to capture how it sounded. She got carried away.

http://home.comcast.net/~thomasck/ToMyx-Mov1.MOV

ToMyx Intake = Teh Evil!!

Drove around for a half an hour. Initial thoughts? Car feels slower. Take offs are not as dramatic. Full throttle on highways is LOUD. Full throttle on highways is not as dramatic. I felt this before and I was wrong about the car not being faster. It was because power was made across the powerband. I could have lost power across the powerband too. I had G-Tech pro with dyno plot software (the newer G-Tech) but noticed the holder of the G-Tech Pro on the windshield was cracked. So no G-Tech dyno plot. Pulled out the older G-Tech pro but it was too much traffic to test. Did notice the car does not downshift nowhere near the times it used to on the same roads. I would floor it and it would just pull in the same gear. That could mean a few things good or bad but I hate to speculate.

Not much else to say. Drives well, sounds great. Just unsure if power was made or lost. My butt dyno has never been calibrated though.

My main goal is to make power, especially where that dip always takes place in the higher rpm range (Where the Maf sensor says 'I quit'). My inferior thoughts on this is that it is because the intake is restricted and/or does not support that higher rpm air breathing and that an intake like this will overcome it. I can dream though right? I am hard headed and stubborn so....will see.
***R.I.P***

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-13-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Kevin,
remember that the ECU has to "learn" that it has a new airflow into the TB now. looking forward to your dyno runs.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 10-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
kevin... also remember that it is still an engine bay air filter. Source that from outside and you might be doing better. Does sounds pretty mean though

BTW the dip in the higher RPMS is the MAF giving **** readings because it was meant for a 4 cylinder

Tom
Old 10-19-2007, 10:45 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Cold-Air setup

Some finalized pics of the intake. Took off work today and picked up a small piece of piping to convert it to a cold-air setup. Was tempted to make it a ram-air but decided not to for hydrolocking sake. Filter is not as far down as it may appear. Utilized a Dale Motorsports cold air piping with an extra piece included. All in all, I'm satisfied. Here are some pics below.

Hole cut into bottom passenger-side to allow cold air in-->

Car is on jack stands if it looks like it is on an odd angle. Purchased the silicone piece and piping from Verocious Motorsports today (Connected to the dyno shop). Going back downstairs to button it all up.
***R.I.P***

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-16-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Looks fantastic Kevin! Will you be heading to the drag strip soon?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
looks really nice - woulda went with red connectors to match the red car, but very slick looking - these will be for sale, correct? also, where did you source the MAF adapter?
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd View Post
Looks fantastic Kevin! Will you be heading to the drag strip soon?
Thanks Chike!

I am looking out the window as I type this and thinking if I stare hard and long enough, the bad clouds will go away. According to the weather channel, I don't think my powers will work. The answer is yes though. Just came in from testing it out. Dunno what to think. I 'think' throttle response has improved. Sounds different at WOT. Can't say if it's louder or lower. More resistance to downshifts which seem like a good thing. Don't want to fool myself. Need track trap speed data. At least two timeslips will do.

AlcyoneDaze,
Not sure if Tom is considering selling these. May be a while because it doesn't seem easy to make. I got the maf adapter amongst some 'junk' I have in my garage (or was it the basement?). Dale Motorsports sells maf adapters with this cold air intake though. They can be had on ebay or peeps at NASIOC as well. The connectors I found in a 'box' in my garage (for the cold-air)...just in case I needed them like I did. I was thinking the same thing as you though. TomsSVX supplied the ones in the engine bay with the intake. He's a genius! That throttle body with connectors and clamps is tight, tight, Tight. I had just enough space to slide the clamps through and they had to be done one at a time. Any silicone connector will not work. I tried in another thread.
***R.I.P***

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-19-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Some finalized pics of the intake. Took off work today and picked up a small piece of piping to convert it to a cold-air setup. Was tempted to make it a ram-air but decided not to for hydrolocking sake. Filter is not as far down as it may appear. Utilized a Dale Motorsports cold air piping with an extra piece included. All in all, I'm satisfied. Here are some pics below.

Hole cut into bottom passenger-side to allow cold air in-->

Car is on jack stands if it looks like it is on an odd angle. Purchased the silicone piece and piping from Verocious Motorsports today (Connected to the dyno shop). Going back downstairs to button it all up.
Kevin,
looks good. probably want to pop rivet some expanded stainless across the opening you cut in the wheel well liner to keep "big stuff" from bouncing into the opening and whacking the air cleaner.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 10-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Noticed the comment about the transmission not downshifting the same way... have you done the power mode bypass mod?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39133

It might get some extra hp out of your butt dyno.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:03 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Noticed the comment about the transmission not downshifting the same way... have you done the power mode bypass mod?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39133

It might get some extra hp out of your butt dyno.
Very interesting thread. Thanks for the link.
***R.I.P***