Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-25-2007, 04:46 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Where to get tires round ?

My belt sander crapped out yesterday

Does anybody remember a post by the "Mean Green Polo Machine" on this subject? or where to get this done?

I think I remember him saying there was a shop he was using for this but I can find any threads.

I am looking for the shop that can machine down or remove tread from the outside of a tire.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
That was me (before I became the Pristine Green Polo Machine)

This was my post from August 2001:
Quote:
Give Radial Tire Co. in Silver Spring MD a call at 301-585-2740 and talk to either Paul or Sam. I bought my Yokohama AVS db tires for $104.00 each. Total package of 4 tires, valve stems, high speed balance, tax was $482.59

They are a performance tire shop and great to work with. When one of my rear tires started to wear unevenly on my pearlie, because of a small dent in one rim, he fixed the dent and removed all my tires and shaved them to perfect roundness and rebalanced them for no charge.
Sam and Paul Morcones (the owner) are still there. I know them very well and have bought MANY sets of tires from them, so maybe that's why the did not charge me. You have to get all four done to maintain the circumference between all of the tires for the AWD.
;

Hope this helps

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-26-2007, 05:19 AM

That's the one! Thanks John

A very professional tire shop you have there. I called all the tire shops from yellow pages in my area north NJ, NY and western PA and I can't find a shop to do this work.

I know this salesman down south near Atlanta that used to get this done to the car he drove. He drove about 100k miles a year. It was the first thing his shop always did, make the tires round after mounting, before balancing. It makes a for a very smooth riding vechicle.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
never heard of such a thing. hmmm.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 08-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy
never heard of such a thing. hmmm.
We do it every day in the tire making world. Some of the brand new tires you buy have already been ground once The tread portion of the tire mould may be round, but if there is extra rubber when you fit it into the mould the extra has to move inward. Then after cooking inflate the tire and it will conform to the belts - the strongest part - and you may get a bulge in the tread.

The tires are inflated and run on a machine that checks balance, lateral pull, lateral variation, and false round - in microns - anything above spec but repairable will be ground.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 AM

So what do you call this process of "making tires round"?

Who makes the machine that does this?

I am just trying to get more information on this and I am looking for a shop in my area that does this...... I am still looking........

I have some uneven tread wear from alignment and want to see if it is less costly to make the tire round again or to get a new one.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
So what do you call this process of "making tires round"?

Who makes the machine that does this?

I am just trying to get more information on this and I am looking for a shop in my area that does this...... I am still looking........

I have some uneven tread wear from alignment and want to see if it is less costly to make the tire round again or to get a new one.

Thanks!
We just call it grinding. It is a machine made by my company so you won't see one like it outside of the company. I'm not at liberty to describe the machine because of this.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:10 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
It's called "Truing". Even the most reputable shops don't do it much anymore. The MFR's make a much higher quality piece now. (as evidenced by the previous post about measuring fresh tire carcasses in microns)
The machine I saw several years ago was made by Hunter. It mounted the wheel, tire balancer style, then spun it slowly as a wide grinding wheel chewed at the tread.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:33 AM

Hunter denies having this machine. I contacted them by e-mail looking for a local shop.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:45 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
hmmmmm I was pretty sure it was a Hunter machine. It was several years ago tho.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

John,
A lot of autocross guys "shave" their tires before use. Basically, they pay extra to have the the tread shaved from the tires (nutballs those types ) to reduce the tread squirm and better the handling.

Anywho, you may wish to revise your search for race tire shops that offer the service. Tire rack does, but only on new tires they sell.

Todd
Old 09-04-2007, 04:17 AM

Hello Todd,

How have you been?

I tried race shops around here and up near the Pocono speedway with no luck yet!

I know auto-X is not too popular around here.