Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
actually, the less street miles you are seeing the looser you should consider setting your oil clearances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
We're expecting in the 200-215whp range for our build using stock parts so its all in what you'd want to spend realistically. Since we might see 200 miles per year we should be fine without the need for street strength.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
actually, the less street miles you are seeing the looser you should consider setting your oil clearances.
Agreed but you also don't pay $65 for an SVX engine either.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Harry's U-Pull-It ftw!!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
really nice thread from the past...

Hmmm, didnt someone about a year back post on how he was going to build his N/A tuned engine with links of where he was going to get stuff from? I for one am out of $$$ I am down 9G and have to pay that back before I can add more on...
Maybe it was tom that posted it, really really nice thread on it, but I cant seem to find it in the search, maybe someone else will have better luck.
I shouldnt have to say this but if you do find that thread plz link it
thx
-Chris
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I never did a full build, I just gave people package ideas to get some more ponies out of their stock motor... The stages of Tom-stock was more or less mimicking SVXRide and informing others of routes which could have been taken. The most I ever got into an N/A motor was playing around with different cam profiles. Anyway... Thats all history as we have a b8unch of new stuff with much better prospective outcomes

Tom
Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I think Ben/Dave and I are the only folks doing na builds right now. Everyone else is going the pressurized route
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Just some dude.

As soon as I get 2 more na piston takers I and a few others will be doing na builds. There is already someone in the process of installing my camshaft set into an na motor. Assuming he's quick with his install I think he'll have the na power record for a week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
I think Ben/Dave and I are the only folks doing na builds right now. Everyone else is going the pressurized route
-Bill
Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
As soon as I get 2 more na piston takers I and a few others will be doing na builds. There is already someone in the process of installing my camshaft set into an na motor. Assuming he's quick with his install I think he'll have the na power record for a week or two.
Power record is one thing power to weight ratio is another LAN!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Just some dude.

true, no doubt weight makes a huge difference in speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Power record is one thing power to weight ratio is another LAN!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Back Road Blazer

hehehe

I plan on having the N/A power record...
two words: Bored out
I figure a 3.75 (STI pistons) to a 4.0 ( ??? pistons) should work, drop the manifold alittle to keep the compression at 10-12:1 and all. That with the stronger top side, and brand spankin new bottom should have a beast of an engine...
But $$$ is tight so, that wont be for a couple of years...
Chris
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Just some dude.

If i thought that was better I'd be doing it. The engine is already hugely over square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast
I plan on having the N/A power record...
two words: Bored out
I figure a 3.75 (STI pistons) to a 4.0 ( ??? pistons) should work, drop the manifold alittle to keep the compression at 10-12:1 and all. That with the stronger top side, and brand spankin new bottom should have a beast of an engine...
But $$$ is tight so, that wont be for a couple of years...
Chris
Old 07-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Back Road Blazer

Well, we will see. We all have our own ideas...
Old 07-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
No, LAN is right. That is a waste of time and I recall the numbers being gone over a while back. I think it was postulated maybe from a bore increase of half a liter or so would only net a 10-15hp increase and would be much more expensive and risky than what is being done with stage 2 and cams. I somewhat recall reading the cylinder walls are a touch thin for big bore outs. That might be outdated info, but it might not.

However, if that's what you want to do, I don't think anyone should stop you. Whatever the outcome, it would put that discussion to rest. I say go for it.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 07-26-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Back Road Blazer

Well, I will tell you guys the outcome, Again I say it wont be for a year or two, but I will tell you guys when I do. NikFu, thanks for being supportive...
Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Superbeast

Well on that note. When Subaru decided to build a 2.5L all they did was bore out the 2.2L block, and guess what happend. The cylinder walls started to egg out and the pistons started to slap. If you've ever heard some of the early 2.5L you know what i'm talking about.

Subaru's band-aid for this problem under warranty was to install pistons with a graphite type build up on the skirt. It's lasts them till there out of warranty at least.

I used to think a bore job would also be sweet, after hearing that and seeing my cylinder walls ripped open like a tin can after my NOS incident....i changed my mind.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!