Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 11:56 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
I'm probably going to try a different inspectin station next time. But for now I'm gonna get the exhaust checked out just to be safe and then re-inspect it for the 4th time

....Oh wait I already broke
Old 08-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Replace the primary cat...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-19-2007, 12:05 AM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Replace the primary cat...
-Bill

Do you think that that could have caused the reading to go up 500%? It's only been a few weeks since the 2nd inspection.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Alcyone ... the brightest star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX
Do you think that that could have caused the reading to go up 500%? It's only been a few weeks since the 2nd inspection.
I don't ... there has to be something out of whack. I think it's time to try an independent shop or two. I've never seen a reading that high. Even some catless systems can be lower.
Ever heard of a catch-can system put in the pvc line. Seems to reduce emmisions for some engines.
check this link ... http://www.integra.orcon.net.nz/catchcan.htm

Bob
Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 AM
OOC for a while

The oil catch can thing is different, I've never heard of that.

Also forgot to add before was that before the 3rd inspection I cleaned my MAF with vinegar overnight. I don't think that could have affected it though.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 AM

Er.... wow. that makes it seem like its running really rich.

Is there anyone who can loan you an Air/Fuel meter?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:40 AM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon
Er.... wow. that makes it seem like its running really rich.

Is there anyone who can loan you an Air/Fuel meter?

Not anyone that I know off the top of my head. I don't think it's running rich because around the city I get about 18MPG and highway I'm gettin about 21-22MPG. Which is about normal for the car.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Subie,

Last year May my car failed for high HC as yours did (reading was 188, standard was 100).

To fix it I:
Reset the ECU to get a fresh start
Added 4oz of Acetone to a full tank of gas
Cleaned the throttle bodies and IAV
Changed engine temp sensor (had CE light for the code)
Replace air filter
Replaced MAF (had CE light for the code)

On the day of my reinspection I drove the car about 35 miles before going to the inspection station, and while I was waiting on line for inspection I kept the car in Neutral instead of park and kept the RPMs above 1k (your engine burns more efficiently that way). My car was reinspected and passed at 88 HC.

I will reinforce the PCV valve and diagnosis if yours has not been changed (mine was changed about 15k before my inspection). Considering your stumbling at 65mph the engine temp sensor might be a good idea too. Are you sure you used the proper fuel filter and installed it facing the correct way? (there's an inlet and outlet)

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-20-2007, 10:25 PM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
Subie,

Last year May my car failed for high HC as yours did (reading was 188, standard was 100).

To fix it I:
Reset the ECU to get a fresh start
Added 4oz of Acetone to a full tank of gas
Cleaned the throttle bodies and IAV
Changed engine temp sensor (had CE light for the code)
Replace air filter
Replaced MAF (had CE light for the code)

On the day of my reinspection I drove the car about 35 miles before going to the inspection station, and while I was waiting on line for inspection I kept the car in Neutral instead of park and kept the RPMs above 1k (your engine burns more efficiently that way). My car was reinspected and passed at 88 HC.

I will reinforce the PCV valve and diagnosis if yours has not been changed (mine was changed about 15k before my inspection). Considering your stumbling at 65mph the engine temp sensor might be a good idea too. Are you sure you used the proper fuel filter and installed it facing the correct way? (there's an inlet and outlet)

The engine stumbling I was thinking might be the TPS sensor? I haven't really tried to find that out though. And I know the fuel filter is on right, and is the right one(I got it from the dealer). Its not trowing any codes when I pull them, and the CE light isn't on at all. What exactly is acetone and what does it do?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Acetone is a solvent. It's basically a fuel system cleaner. It should get any crap out of the fuel lines and clean the injectors.

Don't overdo it though. Acetone is pretty harsh stuff and your car won't be happy about being fed too much.

Supposedly it also increases mileage. Some people go as far as adding several ounces every fill up. *shrug*

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 08-20-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I just read up on this thread completely. Scoring 2100+ on the HC count is unreal. My car (92, 109K miles) just went through inspection here. I replaced the primary cat with a Magnaflow universal unit when I bought it 3 months ago. Until I bought it the car had been sitting in a lot for at least 6 months, only being driven to move around the lot.

I scored 33 ppm (parts per million) at idle and 28 ppm at 2500 RPM. On a car that had been sitting for a long time, with a shadey maintenance history.

First try a private testing location. It's the cheapest way to narrow down the cause I can think of. If things are still bad I'd say a new primary cat is needed.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 08-20-2007, 11:48 PM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
I just read up on this thread completely. Scoring 2100+ on the HC count is unreal. My car (92, 109K miles) just went through inspection here. I replaced the primary cat with a Magnaflow universal unit when I bought it 3 months ago. Until I bought it the car had been sitting in a lot for at least 6 months, only being driven to move around the lot.

I scored 33 ppm (parts per million) at idle and 28 ppm at 2500 RPM. On a car that had been sitting for a long time, with a shadey maintenance history.

First try a private testing location. It's the cheapest way to narrow down the cause I can think of. If things are still bad I'd say a new primary cat is needed.

2500 RPM is the test they did for emissions all 3 times. The last time though I think the inspector was having a bad day and screwed with the numbers just to be an @$$. Also, the exhaust was the last thing I was hoping to have to replace. Since I was thinking about getting a whole new aftermarket exhaust in the future I think I might have to get it now
Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Probably a good idea. The price Subaru charges for exhaust parts is terrifying. $700 for each pre-cat, plus the rest...I'm pretty sure you can build a full custom system for significantly less money.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 PM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
Probably a good idea. The price Subaru charges for exhaust parts is terrifying. $700 for each pre-cat, plus the rest...I'm pretty sure you can build a full custom system for significantly less money.

I was checking out svxcess's setup with the ar20 resonators and magnaflow cat, etc. and was thinking about doing that since it seems like a pretty good system...with good feedback from others on it. If only I could hear it
Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX
The engine stumbling I was thinking might be the TPS sensor? I haven't really tried to find that out though. And I know the fuel filter is on right, and is the right one(I got it from the dealer). Its not trowing any codes when I pull them, and the CE light isn't on at all. What exactly is acetone and what does it do?
Acetone is the active ingredient in nail polish remover. As crazy said it's pretty harsh stuff. I've been told up to 3oz is safe per 10 gal of gas, so I figured 4oz was a safe amount for our 16 gal tank.

To test your TPS you can check the voltage on the signal wire (I believe it's the white one) with an autometer. The correct reading is around .97-1 if I remember, but a search should turn up more info. The ECU reconfigures itself for the TPS reading though, so I'm not sure if that would have a big effect.

P.S. Missed the post with the 2000+ reading, that is insane!

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300