How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-05-2002, 01:56 PM
taohog

tail light mods??

I am in the process of modifying my tail lights (signal and stop). After removing the outer "red" lense cover I discovered that I really like the clear lenses from the guts of the lighting unit and can utilize this by replacing the clear 1156 bulb with a yellow and replacing the clear 1157 with a red led 1157. However, with the red led 1157 I do not have any running lights, just brake. Does anyone know WHY? And yes, I have the bulbs installed properly and have installed several different brands resulting in the same problem. thanks larry
Old 04-05-2002, 01:59 PM
Casper Killer

Send a message via AIM to BLKSVX92 Send a message via Yahoo to BLKSVX92
for the running/break lights..the bulbs are dual filament...possible the leds dont work the same...have you tried installed oem bulbs?? do you get the same problem them?

1992 SVX Build 4/91 SOLD TO gsodonis
2002 Civic Si SOLD
2005 Lancer Evolution VIII TRADED
2008 STi
Old 04-05-2002, 02:11 PM
taohog

OEM bulbs work fine, but I need "red" lights now that I have removed the red lense.
Old 04-05-2002, 02:50 PM
alacrity024

Try wrapping some kind of red film around an oem light.. I really have no idea how this would work but maybe there exists a product designed for exactly this application.

-a
Old 04-05-2002, 03:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
Try wrapping some kind of red film around an oem light.. I really have no idea how this would work but maybe there exists a product designed for exactly this application.

-a
The only thing I can think of is colored gels from theatrical lighting. It would probably be able to take the heat...

...that, and you'd have a thousand different reds to choose from.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-05-2002, 03:51 PM
taohog

actually I may try to apply a red transparent film between the clear lense and the focus lense. Once you have taken these lights apart, it is understandable why they are so expensive to replace. larry
Old 04-05-2002, 04:13 PM
oneothefewproud

Light Bulbs

Larry,

I used to do DJ work a while back. There was a colored liquid we used to by that you dip the bulbs into. Then you can have whatever color you want to. That was about 20 years ago. I would assume it is still out there.

Ciao
Wayne
Old 04-08-2002, 05:26 PM
scooby

???

I am a little confused on something:
Does the taillight still have something protecting it from the elements? I was not aware that the colored part could be removed. Would you please go into a little more detail on this for me and explain how it is done. I would really like to do some taillight modifications. Thanks a lot.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:19 PM
taohog

I have a second set of tail lights that had been cracked so I decided to play around with this cracked set. I removed the bulbs and wiring then placed the light unit into an oven that had been set at 275. After about 5 to 7 minutes I removed the unit and with a screwdriver pried off the red lenses. Take your time and you can remove this without damaging the red lenses. Under the red lense is a clear mylar strip, a clear plastic lense/reflector, and some focusing lenses for the light bulbs.

I am still playing around with several options. I have found some red and orange bulbs at Pep Boys and some red reflective film to be placed between the clear lense and the lighting unit body. My goal is to have lighting that is as good or better than the current lighting. Once I sort this out, I will re-install the clear lense and glue into place with something like RTV. larry
Old 04-09-2002, 11:39 AM
EverclearAtMSU

they sell red cluster leds at autozone, and you can find them all over the net. Those should do the trick. If you could, post some pics of the tail light w/o the red plastic
Old 04-09-2002, 12:01 PM
taohog

The red cluster LED don't work!! I have purchased them from several places with the same results: NO running lights!!
I don't have a digital camera, but I will try to get a friend to take a couple pics of these lights.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:07 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by taohog
The red cluster LED don't work!! I have purchased them from several places with the same results: NO running lights!!
I don't have a digital camera, but I will try to get a friend to take a couple pics of these lights.
that's odd. I know that the running lights that fit in the 92 are a very odd design, where the cluster LEDs are more of a generic design. something might have to be wired up inorder for it to work properly. If you still have one of the cluster LEDs, try putting the cluster in the back up light socket, and see if it works there. Since the backup lights use the generic bulb. This would make my theory correct
Old 04-09-2002, 12:24 PM
taohog

I don't know why the 1157 red LED bulbs don't work for both brake and running. The brake lights work fine but I just can't get the running to work. I purchased some xenon red 1157 bulbs from Pep Boys and they work fine. larry
Old 04-09-2002, 12:28 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by taohog
I don't know why the 1157 red LED bulbs don't work for both brake and running. The brake lights work fine but I just can't get the running to work. I purchased some xenon red 1157 bulbs from Pep Boys and they work fine. larry
maybe the voltage for the running lights is different? Or maybe they are supposed to be something other than 1157?
Old 06-08-2002, 11:02 AM
Network Design Administrator

I know that this is a VERY old thread, but I stumbled on to it... I have Red LED clusters from CATZ, and all works well...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.