How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-31-2006, 10:57 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
So you want a short essay on our indiviual cars for you to pull and edit from?
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
So I can compile it and have a whole group edit it

Tom
Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Golly gee Tom, now I have to go and re-write my thingy. I didn't put this much effort into highschool and the little bit of college english classes I took. haha
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 09-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
sorry I got long winded

I purchased my 1994 SVX in the summer of 2003 with only 20,000 miles on it. It is a 1994 L model. It has the bare minimum equipment. There is no ABS, Sunroof, CD-player or leather. It didn’t even have AWD. However even lacking all those options, with the low mileage and an asking price of $8000, the car was a steal.

My owning this SVX was meant to be. I pulled into the dealership looking to by a replacement for the 1988 Ford LTD I was driving at the time. The SVX was sitting in the customer parking area. I had not seen anything in the sales lot that interested me. As I was returning to my car to leave, a dealer approached and asked if I saw anything I liked. Jokingly I pointed at the beautiful red car parked beside mine and said “Yes, but not foresale.” The dealer smiled and told me that the pervious owner had just finished signing over the title to the dealership. As I was leaving for the test drive, the dealer pointed at another car leaving and informed me that it was the pervious owner leaving with his new car. I drove the SVX home the very same day. It was at the dealership lot for all of 6 hours.

The car was my daily driver until 2005 when I purchase a new daily driver with the intention of modifying the SVX. In 2004 I started reaching into possible ways to add forced induction to the SVX. I became aware of a company that had developed a turbocharger for the SVX, but after taking with a few people I learned that the system was only providing minimal results do to the lack of fuel and engine management. I started to look into getting a Procharger Supercharger kit and trying to find an engine management system to install. In the middle of my search, Mike from ECUTune posted on the SVXNetwork web site that his company was interested in developing a supercharger kit for the SVX. ECUTune had already shown it’s self as a company that could work with the SVX by releasing reprogrammed ECUs that allowed for the running of lower octane gas and also an increase in power. I immediately contacted Mike and expressed interest. In order to start, ECUTune need a few people to pay in advance for the kits to fund development. I sent him $5000 and after a year of development received the first kit. The kit included a Whipple 1600x supercharger, custom intake manifold, upgrade injectors, replacement fuel lines, Z32 MAF sensor, Alternator relocation hardware, belt routing hardware, and updated fuel and timing MAPS for the factory ECU.

Because I was the first, Mike agreed to install the kit if I came to him. Fortionately I had to go to Florida for work. I took of from work a week early and headed to Tampa. After some initial trouble shooting, the car seemed to make really good power. We weren’t able to fully test the car do to transmission problems. After we got the car running correctly it managed to go about 15 feet before the differential decided to self-destruct. I continued my trip for work in a rental car, and made arrangements to ship the car to my home in Delaware.

Upon returning from Florida I began looking into not only repairing the SVX transmission, but upgrading the entire drivetrain. I had already intended to convert the car to both manual and AWD, just not so soon. There were a few members of the SVXNetwork that had converted there cars from Auto to stick. Two members had even gotten an STi 6-speed. This was what I wanted. I contacted Tom, a member in New Jersey who had done the conversion to his car. He was willing to do the same for me. At a cost of approximately $7000 it is probably the only transmission that could hold but to the abuse of a Supercharged EG33.

Other modifications to the car include: a set of 17in Motegi MR7 rims wrapped in BFG KDW2 tires, a custom 2 ½ inch dual exhaust with 2 high flow Magnaflow Cats and a Flowmaster 60 series dual in/dual out muffler, a JVC MP3/CD head-unit, 12-disc in trunk changer, 800W amp, 2 12in subs., a K&N Cone filter mounted on a Motorsportswarehouse B-pipe, and Motorsportswarehouse Springs.

The future still holds upgrades to the suspension and brakes, a paint job w/ a new hood, splitters and rear spoiler, and a better set of rims.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Maniac modifier

well so much for the idea of a breif paragraph I will try and work with it Mike

Tom
Old 09-01-2006, 05:05 PM

I'll give you a short one tomarrow.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:46 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
I'll give you a short one tomarrow.
I'll just bet thats not the first time you said THAT!!!!!!!!!

j/k

LMAO!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-01-2006, 07:51 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
I'll just bet thats not the first time you said THAT!!!!!!!!!

j/k

LMAO!
LOL!!

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-01-2006, 08:45 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
My 1992 Claret LS-L, purchased in 2001 from the original owner at 39,000 miles for $5000.00.
Before I drove it out of the shop, I installed a hidden Ram-Air system.
Since then, I have installed multipal cold air systems, underdrive pulleys, underdrive/overdrive pulleys, my own axial vane SuperCharger,(thanks Adam) Walbro 255,my own equal length headers, eleven different performance exhaust systems, my own design 13" heavy duty front disc brakes with stainless steel lines, custom springs,(thanks Bill) the 15 minute/$15 mod on all six rear points,Poly Bushings front and rear, lightened the car from 3580 to under 3400 without losing the AC or leather, trunk mounted the Red Top Battery. Also installed in this car is a 4.44 trans,( the second of many upgraded SVXi world wide the first going into my son Nick's 96 SVX)with a 90 durometer trans mount I made myself, 17" Loco wheels, from Dayle at Motorsportwarehouse, the first stock looking fiberglass hood is on this car from Class Glass and Performance, shaving 20+ pounds, bumper modification, front and rear, shaving another 38 pounds, seat swaps, glove box mods, , huge aluminum radiator, porting, polishing, thermal coating, window tinting, ,radar/laser/detector/jammer,/ radio /speaker/ antenna/spare tire/tools/jack, delete, mods......
Installed a Morosco adjustable RRFPR, a Stage 2, Version 5 chip from Mike at ECU Tune, a wide band A/F gauge,(thanks Mark5) a narrow band A/F gauge a digital and a analog boost gauge, a digital fuel pressure gauge.
225/45/17 G-Force TA KDWs (thanks Rufus) and set the stock spoiler back, 1.5".

And this is only ONE of nine SVXi in our yard...

There is more, but it's late,
and tomorrow is another day.
Tired Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 09-07-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:06 AM

Better?

I purchased my 1994 SVX L in the summer of 2003 with only 20,000 miles on it for the bargain price of $8000. The car currently drives on 17 inch Motegi MR7 rims wrapped in BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW rubber with a set of Motorsportswarehouse lowering springs for a more aggressive stance. After looking into several methods of forced induction, I contacted Mike of ECUTune. He was interested in building a complete supercharger kit for the SVX. I sent him a check for $5000 to start development. After the year long wait for prototyping, I finally headed to Tampa, FL to have the kit installed. While working on some issues with the superchargers by-pass system, the spider gears in the differential of the FWD automatic transmission shattered. After having the car shipped back to my home in Delaware I began looking into upgrading the entire drivetrain. I contacted Tom in NJ to have him convert my SVX from an Automatic FWD to a 6-Speed AWD using the Transmission from a JDM WRX STi and an R180 Rear. Breathing has been improved with a custom 2 ½ inch dual exhaust, 2 high flow Magnaflow Cats and a Flowmaster 60 series dual in/dual out muffler on the exhaust side and a K&N Cone filter mounted on a Motorsportswarehouse B-pipe. The in-car entertainment was upgraded with a JVC MP3/CD head-unit, 12-disc in trunk changer, 800W amp, 2 12in subs. The future still holds upgrades to the suspension and brakes, a paint job w/ a new hood, splitters and rear spoiler, and a better set of rims.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Maniac modifier

Tom and Mike, thats exactly what I need. Awsome!!

Tom
Old 09-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Tom and Mike, thats exactly what I need. Awsome!!

Tom

Here's ours Tom.

1992 Subaru SVX black over pearle white over black. Simply the fasted SVX monster around a track using a stock motor. Weighs in at 2800ish with fluids. BUILT NOT BOUGHT. Use your imagination rather then buying your car out of a mail order box.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

My 1994 Subaru SVX LSi is my second SVX. The first was a 1992 LSL that I bought in 1997. I bought the 94 with 74,000 miles on the clock for $6400 in February, 2004. The first modification I made was a Smallcar Shift kit, which I had also added to the 1992 when the transmission began to flare. The next modification was a pre-cat back exhaust that I added when the stock exhaust began to leak. After that the deluge. First the Ecutune Stage 1 version 4 chip, followed by the Ecutune Stage 2, version 5 chip with Z32 MAF, Then, 17x8 Rota Boost wheels with 245/40-17 B F Goodrich G-Force KDW2’s. After that, Race Concepts drilled and slotted rotors with Axxis Metal Master Pads. Then I added urethane sway bar bushings, new strut top-mounts, Koni Ground Control Coil-overs with 335 lb/in front and 285 lb/in rear Eibach springs and had the car corner-weighted.

After those modifications, I took the car to the track for my first HPDE track day. Driving on the track made me realize how limiting was the automatic transmission. I began to investigate manual transmission alternatives, and contracted Tom Johnson, who agreed to help guide me through the acquisition of all parts necessary for a 5MT, motor mount and intake camshaft replacement. Many happy hours of Internet and eBay shopping later, I delivered the car and parts into Tom’s hands for the rebuild. Total for all the mods, including shop charges for the installs I couldn’t do is just a little shy of $12,000.

I’ve since had a number of track days and have been happily surprised by how well the car performs. I have no trouble with keeping up with E36 M3’s and stock Subaru WRX’s both on the straights and in the turns. The car is clearly faster than stock Porsche 944’s and I can keep up with most non-race prepped Miata’s.

Next mods will be a front big brake kit and a dedicated set of track wheels with competition tires, and maybe a little port and manifold work, along with some dyno tuning.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold

Last edited by shotgunslade; 09-02-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Here's ours Tom.

1992 Subaru SVX black over pearle white over black. Simply the fasted SVX monster around a track using a stock motor. Weighs in at 2800ish with fluids. BUILT NOT BOUGHT. Use your imagination rather then buying your car out of a mail order box.

Too much of a loaded statement Ben... They won't post this article if thats in it

Tom
Old 09-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Too much of a loaded statement Ben... They won't post this article if thats in it

Tom
See, there's some hitler style editing.