Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 02-14-2006, 03:10 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonparrot
Keep up the good work Kevin, someone has to do the pioneering work "restriction" or not. Someone has to change and experiment on their own car, no matter how much others say its not neccesary, in the 3 years I have been a member here, people went from being negative about the 5-spd, and saying the 4.11/4.44 swap was impractical or impossible to them being well used and commonplace, and not to mention the great work that LAN has done with the ECU and MAF. I needn't even mention what people previously thought was possible with superchargers/turbo setups...so just keep going!! 'Sides you can always return it to stock if you have to!!

-Andrew
Thanks Andrew! What drives me is the criticism. I have no plans on stopping. I will continue to experiment and post my findings. I do value everyone's input though but nothing means anything without data. Many people are used to others just speaking about mods and such without the person actually testing things out. I'm pretty excited about it and I am a pessimist. In all though, my curiousity takes a hold of me and I run with it. So yeah, I did not plan on posting the progress unless I get positive or negative results. I know negative results are expected but no matter, I'll still post it/them and get the 'I told you so's'.

I just got finished playing in the garage for the first part. I'm waiting for another part to arrive and will pick up another couple of parts from there. It doesn't mean anything until it comes together and is tested though. So get ready for the -15 to -20hp and torque losses. It'll make for some good comedy relief. Something deep down inside me adds pluses instead of minuses though.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 02-14-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Ther critizism is not for nothing. Saying there is no gain from it is legitimate.

The 5mt conversion reduces drivetrain loss which is a proven gain in almost any car. Period.

The 4.11/4.44 conversion increases torque to wheels. Same as any other vehicle that you change gear ratios in. Also plain and simple.

This intake will only reduce the 98% VE which is not something anyone wants. I am serious in saying it will be time and money wasted. I am going to unsubscribe from this one now, seems like others are not making sense of this

Tom
Old 02-14-2006, 06:56 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Anyways, just in case a newbie or oldie that may have missed some threads on related subjects, here are a couple of threads that make good reading. Do not waste time reading this thread if it does not make any sense.

SVX inlet system design. Pt.2. Resonance.

Subura Engineers are not GODS.... there IS room for improvement...
***R.I.P***
Old 02-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Hey, i meant to ask you, where did you get the maf adaptor for you current setup (i.e. the piece i had to make for mine, that attaches the filter directly to the maf tube) Thanks!
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 02-17-2006, 05:40 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonparrot
Hey, i meant to ask you, where did you get the maf adaptor for you current setup (i.e. the piece i had to make for mine, that attaches the filter directly to the maf tube) Thanks!
Honestly, I can not remember. I have 2-3 of them in my garage from playing around with various intakes over the years. So I can not say this maf adapter came from a certain intake. Most intakes and stuff I buy are used so the maf adapter(s) I may have gotten used off of NASIOC. I think at least one of them I got off of Ebay. That's where I'd start looking.
***R.I.P***
Old 02-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have an aluminum one I pulled off my sister's altima. Same thing because the MAF bolt patterns are the same. ANyway, if anyone wants it, its urs

Tom
Old 02-17-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I have an aluminum one I pulled off my sister's altima. Same thing because the MAF bolt patterns are the same. ANyway, if anyone wants it, its urs

Tom

Tom...i love you...

in the least gay way possible

PM you for more info?
Old 02-17-2006, 09:56 AM

Oh weird, I forgot i was on mikes computer...
Old 02-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmsey
Oh weird, I forgot i was on mikes computer...

There we go..back on mine...in any case...Tom, I'll PM you..
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 02-17-2006, 08:20 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

What a pain in the arse this connection is. The throttle body housings are so close together. You need thin rubber or silicone to squeeze two intake tubes on it. Have to do something about this in the future. Now, I'm waiting for the 'Y' pipe to arrivein the mail. The single pipe portion of the 'Y' is where I will drill hoses for the vacuum tubing. After I receive the 'Y' pipe, I can figure out the length of the straight tubing I'll need to connect the silicone bend to the 'Y' pipe with. Then the tubing and hoses will get all clamped down.

Just my little update since I've nothing else to do.
***R.I.P***
Old 02-18-2006, 09:49 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX

Tom
Oh yeah Tom, thanks for posting this. Didn't realize the Altima maf adapters fit SVXs. I'm learning more and more everyday about different items that can be cross-used betwen Nissans and Subarus, even the older schooled subies.
***R.I.P***
Old 02-18-2006, 10:27 AM

Very interested to see how it goes. It's nice that somebody is finally taking the time to dyno and get real life performance figures. Keep up the good work, and even if it doesn't improve performance, at least someone will have proved it the correct way instead of just assuming.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx

What a pain in the arse this connection is. The throttle body housings are so close together. You need thin rubber or silicone to squeeze two intake tubes on it. Have to do something about this in the future. Now, I'm waiting for the 'Y' pipe to arrivein the mail. The single pipe portion of the 'Y' is where I will drill hoses for the vacuum tubing. After I receive the 'Y' pipe, I can figure out the length of the straight tubing I'll need to connect the silicone bend to the 'Y' pipe with. Then the tubing and hoses will get all clamped down.

Just my little update since I've nothing else to do.
What if you cut the cuffs off of a stock airbox and slid your intake ducts in one end and clamped them then slide the cuffs onto the throttle bodies and clamped them?? Have you thought about the 90's ford trucks for a 2-1 intake fitting? Look at the bottom right hand corner of this page:http://www.summitracing.com/catalogs...nfeb/358f.html

Just thought I'd throw some ideas out there. Let me know what you think.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:22 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
What if you cut the cuffs off of a stock airbox and slid your intake ducts in one end and clamped them then slide the cuffs onto the throttle bodies and clamped them??
That's a thought! If what I am doing fails, I may have to just take that route. I'd get a junker intake to do the cutting on though.

I KNEW my 'Y' piece would get in today. It still is not here. All of my other car stuff has since came in 'cept for this piece. Gotta check into this to see what the heck is going on.

Edit: Just found this in my inbox--->"No, it has not shipped. This item is currently on backorder w/magnaflow. I don't have a solid ETA, and I'm sorry, I thought I had email'd all my customers to offer a refund if they were unable to wait. I apologize for the confusion and the inconvenience. Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Thanks,

Dan
Customer Service Dept.
1-800-470-1443
http://performancepeddler.com"

I hate delays! Now to think of option two.
***R.I.P***

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 02-23-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Kevin,
Think "ram air"...do a search on it....Mychailo and I have shown that it will provide 5-10 more Hp above ~40mph.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker