Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 PM

A story, followed by overheating

I think out of everyone I have seen on this sight, I have the worst luck of everyone here combined. As many of you know, I just got my SVX back after lots of work and lots of time. So I went to my parents house for christmas (100 miles away) and noticed a large amount of steam coming out from under the hood. I also pulled the ECU codes and got 34 and 37, meaning that I need a new 02 sensor, and need to get under the intake manifold to replace the vacuum hoses and clean or replace the EGR solenoid. So I tested the radiator for the source of the leak, and found out there was a hols in the upper radiator hose. The hose I had just bought remained up in Fort collins, and no subaru dealerships were open on christmas, so I just bought some heat resistant tape, and wrapped up the hose, and everything was ok. On the night of the 27th, I had to drive 20 miles south to pick up my roommate from his parents house so we could drive back up to Fort collins together. So right away, as im on my way back, I hit a large pothole, and my front passenger side tire goes immediately flat. We go to put on the donut, and I notice that I have forgotten to bring a tire iron with me. So we wait for a hlaf hour for my father to get out there with an iron, and then change the tire, (which was very difficult for some reason) and get on the donut. We look at my tire to see why it went flat, and there it was, a GIANT dent in the rim. So now I need a new SVX rim (or one of similar size), because im not driving 120 miles on a donut. And thats when we notice, the donut tire is flat too! So we drive up the road alittle ways and put in some fix a flat, and are bale to make it back to my parents house. We called the local tire shop (the time was 6:45) and they told us they closed at 7:00, and theri rims guy wouldnt be in until 8:00 the next morning. Well this cuased an issue for me, because I was supposed to be at work in fort collins at 7:30 A.M.! But there wasnt much choice, so we stayed the night at my parents again. We were down at the tire shop at 7:45, and they were very helpful to me, but told me that my 2 options were to have the rim fixed, which took 5 days and cost $150, or they could get me a used rim, which would cost $175 and could be in by the afternoon. Finally at 4:00, it was all fixed and ready to go. So we left and drove up to Fort Collins, and made it about 90 miles of the 100 we had to go, when all of a sudden my CEL came on, and thats when I noticed my engine temperature steadily increasing almost to the red zone. I immediately pulled off of the road, and Steam billowed out from under the hood. The upper radiator hose was makign this horrible sucking noise, and I immedately added the bottle of coolant that I always carry with me. Thats stopped the sucking noise, and I added water to the coolant tank up to full, and let it cool off until the engine was ok to go again, and decided it was ready to go. We drove about half a mile when the temp sensor rose up to dangerous levels again, and pulled off of the road, and let it cool ALL the way down, checked all hoses, checked for leaks, and checked the fluids. Everything was ok, so we started out again, and immediatley got more smoke, steam and a high engine temperature reading, and decided enough was enough. I pulled off of the road, and got a friend to pick me up, take me back to my house, get my new radiator hose, and return with lots of coolant and water. I got back, and, it had been sitting for about an hour and a half, so it was pretty cooled down. I put on the new hose, filled up the coolant all of the way, and thought to myself "What about the radiator?" I opened up the cap, and it was bone dry! That is was had caused my overheating the last 2 attempts I made . I filled it up, checked everyhtign one last time, and was off. However, I immedialtey watched my engine reading skyrocket up to the top again. But this time, there was no smoke, and the engine wasnt hot either. I decided to just drive home at about 5 mph. I was only about 5 miles away. So again, I started out, and my reading went up, but then suddenly dropped to normal. I increased speed, and nothing happened. No more overheating, even when I pushed it. So I think that I fried my engine temperature sensor. So now, I have to replace that, the O2 sensor, the EGR solenoid, and when I pulled the code for the new check engine light I got just before overheating, it gave me a code 22, knock sensor #1! So I have the worst luck of anyone, except for the fact that I didnt overheat, just got close a few times. And I know replacing a knock sensor isnt hard (Ive done it before) and an 02 sensor isnt hard either, but its a pain to have to do, and involved money that I dont especially have. How can you hate a car so much, but yet love it so much at the same time?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:59 AM
Sixpack Subaru

Talking

Just a quick question;
Do you replace everything you get a code for?
Knock sensor was because the thing was that hot it was vaporising the fuel that well and advancing combustion that much, that it knocked it's guts out until you stopped it. I would say that the oxy sensor is possibly purge solenoid related.
Fault codes are to advise that a sensor is 'out of range' or 'has an open cicuit', in your case, the ECU knocked 5 degrees of ign out of the map, and the thing kept knocking as described above. The ECU simply deduces that the Knock sensor is 'out of range' or faulty, and throws the CEL on.!!
(man YOU CAN TYPE!!)
Cheers
Sixpack
Old 12-29-2005, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
The hose I had just bought remained up in Fort collins, and no subaru dealerships were open on christmas, so I just bought some heat resistant tape, and wrapped up the hose, and everything was ok.
You can buy hoses, belts, sensors and whatnot for your SVX from any auto parts store.

dcb
Old 12-29-2005, 06:18 AM

So all is normal with the temperature readings?

I think you might want to read about how a thermostat works with regards to the radiator and engine block. Sounds like the t-stat opened once you got some coolant into the radiator that's why all is normal.

The few radiators I've done you leave the overflow cap off run the engine and keep adding coolant. Once the t-stat opens you'll need to add more because the coolant from the radiator starts to fill the block.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Now that it is not over heating, I would clear the codes and then run the car for awhile and then see if you get the CEL again. Like what was stated before, many things can change after an episode of over heating. Good luck and sorry to hear about the spell of bad luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 12-29-2005, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
You can buy hoses, belts, sensors and whatnot for your SVX from any auto parts store.

dcb
I had gone to NAPA and Autozone, but both places told me it would be a 3 day wait.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
I had gone to NAPA and Autozone, but both places told me it would be a 3 day wait.
The O'Reilly's where I trade usually has stuff the next morning (radiator hoses I bought recently, for example), but there's certainly a distribution center in Atlanta, two hours away.

Anyway, my point was, everyone should remember that a Subaru dealership isn't the only place to get many SVX replacement parts.

dcb