Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 11-27-2005, 07:47 PM
VTsuby

Vtsuby's cylinder head development thread

I finally got the heads rigged up on the flow bench today. We have had issues calibrating the software for the bench but for an initial test I lifted the valves to .450" and saw 235cfm. Does anyone have anything to compare this to? I started adding some clay to the floor of the port building it up so far the cfm hasn't decreased. I'm flowing the heads without the velocity stack right now just with a clay donut. I suspect alot of the stack will fill in without effecting cfm with things the way they are now. The head has a nasty short side turn which is inhibiting flow at some level. By filling the floor in the port is being raised vertically making a smoother radius down to the valve decreasing the restriction. Another scenario would be its just dead right there. The pitot is also screwed up somewhere in the program and is preventing further investigation hopefully the bench will get sorted out tommorow. The over all plan is to increase the angle of the port and give the short side a much smother radius. The next thing I'am going to try is grinding the part of the combustion chamber near the valve back some to try to deshroud the valve a bit. I'll post some numbers and pictures when the bench is working properly
Old 11-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsuby
I finally got the heads rigged up on the flow bench today. We have had issues calibrating the software for the bench but for an initial test I lifted the valves to .450" and saw 235cfm. Does anyone have anything to compare this to? I started adding some clay to the floor of the port building it up so far the cfm hasn't decreased. I'm flowing the heads without the velocity stack right now just with a clay donut. I suspect alot of the stack will fill in without effecting cfm with things the way they are now. The head has a nasty short side turn which is inhibiting flow at some level. By filling the floor in the port is being raised vertically making a smoother radius down to the valve decreasing the restriction. Another scenario would be its just dead right there. The pitot is also screwed up somewhere in the program and is preventing further investigation hopefully the bench will get sorted out tommorow. The over all plan is to increase the angle of the port and give the short side a much smother radius. The next thing I'am going to try is grinding the part of the combustion chamber near the valve back some to try to deshroud the valve a bit. I'll post some numbers and pictures when the bench is working properly
Nice! I've got a head already fixtured on a SuperFlow bench - without the injector stack. Just haven't gotten around to starting to flow it yet.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
so how much lift can we acheive with stock compnents without bottoming out the stock springs?? please make measurements in metric

Tom
Old 11-27-2005, 09:09 PM
VTsuby

My fixture can't handle that pressure which would be the most convient way to answer that. I don't intend on using the springs.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:04 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Good luck VT with that project, with your experience and tools I foresee you will be achieving the fastest N/A SVX...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
so how much lift can we acheive with stock compnents without bottoming out the stock springs?? please make measurements in metric

Tom

Gee, Tom, and why would you want to know this info?
I'll see if my machinist can rig up a fixture to take this measurement. If we can't make something work, I'll see if I can't get a feeler gauge in between the coils while using the "upgraded" intake cam at max lift.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 AM
VTsuby

you could put spring in a compressor measure that subtract installed height then put retainer on valve with buket on top measure the displacement in the head and compare the difference which would bottom out first
Old 11-28-2005, 09:40 AM
VTsuby

Fastest na impreza is my goal. I like the svx especially the room but its got 600 pound easy on the impreza.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
you could put spring in a compressor measure that subtract installed height then put retainer on valve with buket on top measure the displacement in the head and compare the difference which would bottom out first
yep, I was thinking the same thing....
-Bill

My Locker
Old 11-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Fastest na impreza is my goal. I like the svx especially the room but its got 600 pound easy on the impreza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Good luck VT with that project, with your experience and tools I foresee you will be achieving the fastest N/A EG33...
Fixed it

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:47 AM
VTsuby

does anybody have some flow figures (stock) I can compare mine to?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
SVXride is the only one flowing the stock heads and I don't know if he has actually started yet... he got so wrapped up in try to go faster than me he must have forgotten

Tom
Old 11-28-2005, 01:39 PM

Heres some data for a ej25, ej22t, and a LS1 i belive, may not help but at least there are some sube numbers there.

http://users.adelphia.net/~wedge138/cobb1999_3.htm

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 11-28-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Gee, Tom, and why would you want to know this info?
I'll see if my machinist can rig up a fixture to take this measurement. If we can't make something work, I'll see if I can't get a feeler gauge in between the coils while using the "upgraded" intake cam at max lift.
-Bill
Bill if you have a head on the bench, just pull the inlet valve open till the spring is coilbound, and measure it, can't be too hard

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Bill if you have a head on the bench, just pull the inlet valve open till the spring is coilbound, and measure it, can't be too hard

Harvey.
Harvey,
Just got back from business travel, so I'll see if we can't make some progress in the next week!
-Bill

My Locker