IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2021, 02:48 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Painting center caps?

Can't NAPA scan a paint colour and do a custom match?

Great write-up by the way.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:17 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxnavyvet View Post
Try using a large hole needle in a syringe to do the lettering let it flow out
That's a great idea, I will probably attempt that next time. I can get plastic droppers from work, but those might be too big. I may try to find some proper metal needles on Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraSVX View Post
I recall someone in the FB group mentioning a Honda color that was nearly a perfect match. But of course, I can't find that thread now...
I kinda hate Facebook but may log back on to try to find the SVX group lol. Thanks for the tip - I have been kind of eyeballing random cars on the road to see if anything jumps out as possibly being a match, but haven't gotten anything concrete yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Can't NAPA scan a paint colour and do a custom match?

Great write-up by the way.
I guess it's possible, I didn't think of that. Can't remember the last time I was in a NAPA, as there aren't many around where I am.

BUT. Maybe it's time for a more science based approach. I realized that I may be able to access a handheld color scanner through work, so my thoughts were to get ahold of it and scan one of the wheels in order to get actual legit RGB / hue values, and then send those to like Duplicolor or someone and see if they can cross-reference their catalog to something that would be close. Just an idea at this point, but I will probably check into this tomorrow and see where it goes.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:48 PM

Registered SVX

I get mine from the pet feed store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
That's a great idea, I will probably attempt that next time. I can get plastic droppers from work, but those might be too big. I may try to find some proper metal needles on Amazon.

I kinda hate Facebook but may log back on to try to find the SVX group lol. Thanks for the tip - I have been kind of eyeballing random cars on the road to see if anything jumps out as possibly being a match, but haven't gotten anything concrete yet.

I guess it's possible, I didn't think of that. Can't remember the last time I was in a NAPA, as there aren't many around where I am.

BUT. Maybe it's time for a more science based approach. I realized that I may be able to access a handheld color scanner through work, so my thoughts were to get ahold of it and scan one of the wheels in order to get actual legit RGB / hue values, and then send those to like Duplicolor or someone and see if they can cross-reference their catalog to something that would be close. Just an idea at this point, but I will probably check into this tomorrow and see where it goes.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:36 PM

Found the FB post:

Honda Arctic Silver. And here are Steve's comments on the color match:

"...maybe a shade off but the closest of 4 silvers I tried. Other 3 were way off. This one is Dupli-Color Arctic Silver Metallic BHA-0910 for Honda"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx_wheel_caps1.jpg (138.6 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg svx_wheel_caps2.jpg (23.7 KB, 291 views)

Current car: 2006 Saab 9-2x Aero, Midnight Black Mica, 180k miles, 5MT, mostly stock
Past car: 1995 Subaru Impreza wagon, EJ20G w/5MT, Koni Yellow inserts/STi wagon (GF) springs, swaybars, and other suspension goodies, STi seats
Future car: SVX, of course!
Old 09-20-2021, 06:04 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraSVX View Post
Found the FB post:

Honda Arctic Silver. And here are Steve's comments on the color match:

"...maybe a shade off but the closest of 4 silvers I tried. Other 3 were way off. This one is Dupli-Color Arctic Silver Metallic BHA-0910 for Honda"
Thank you for locating the post! Unfortunately I don't think this will work for me, since the '94 wheels are a lighter shade than the ones on my '92.

I borrowed a small handheld color scanner from a guy at work with the intention of using it on the wheels, but the internal rechargeable battery appears to be dead :/ so no luck there. At least not yet. Going to see if I can find something else to use.