Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-15-2004, 12:37 AM
HuskerGuy

Question Need Some Help! New at the Site

Hey everyone, I'm new to the SVX network. Not really a tech question but
have some info/questions about a 1994 SVX purchase...

Firstly,
Its a 1994 SVX L
63,299 miles
Overall, the body is in excellent condition. There are some minor nicks in the paint, but nothing that would deter me from the sale.
Everything seems to be stock. Under the hood seems to be really clean. I was told it was a single owner, but I haven't run a carfax or anything yet.
The dealer is asking for $5,997, but would bump it down to $5,775. The thing is, I would also be trading in my 01 Honda Civic. I would basically be paying off my loan on the civic, and then refinancing on the SVX. I know the retail on the SVX is only about $3,600, and I really don't think this SVX salesman wants to budge. I do not know yet as far as the timing belt or other 60k tune up issues are concerned. Before I make any move on the car I will definitely check it out thoroughly.

Can anyone give me any advice to whether or not this is a good purchase? Is there anything I should know before getting involved with this model of Subaru? I know Subaru is highly reliable and I love their cars.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:30 AM

First make sure it is an AWD. L model might be a FWD. If it is FWD just walk away.

Second get a transmission checked - these things are around $3k to get fixed and it looks like everybody is having problems with them.
It's impossible to predict how long a transmission will last, just check for any problems that might have already developed - what color/smell is the ATF, does it go in all 4 gears, does torque converted lockup work, does it stay in gear without slippage (stall RPM is ~2500 in this car). If you don't know what stall RPM is, find somebody experienced with transmissions, even pay them to get the tranny inspected
Old 07-15-2004, 11:18 AM
HuskerGuy

Unfortunately, the L series in 94 was not all wheel drive. That is kind of a downer. Thanks for your imput about the tranny.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:28 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Wait...is the toque converter supposed to lock up?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-15-2004, 06:23 PM
JLittell

How 'bout dem Buffs??
Old 07-15-2004, 07:52 PM
jklmnopqrst

Why would you want him to walk away if it is a FWD model? I couldn't disagree more with that statement.

On the contrary, I believe the FWD SVXs are just as awesome (if not better) than their AWD counter-parts. FWD SVXs are lighter (by about 250 pounds because of the loss of AWD components and ABS), faster (arguably), less maintenance, and more inexpensive. I firmly believe that the transmission in the FWD SVXs will last longer solely because of their lighter weight.

"But AWD SVXs handle better in the snow." I have a '94 FWD SVX and I've driven it plenty of times in the snow, and it handles just fine.

AWD is way too over-rated.

HuskerGuy: I would recommend purchasing the SVX if you can get the price that you want. $5775 isn't too expensive. My brother purchased his '94 FWD SVX 4 years ago for $7000 and it had 85k miles on it (he is now selling it for $4000). It now has 123k miles on it and it hasn't given him any problems (tranny shifts perfectly). My '94 FWD SVX has 131k miles and it too is running strong.

When receiving advice on this forum, be sure to heed it with a grain of rice. You will hear varying opinions that take place on opposite ends of the spectrum, as observed in this very thread. Is FWD an asset, or a detriment? It is ultimately your opinion that matters, and you will need to make that decision on your own.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
94 L

I have to agree that the FWD is a good car. Considering I also own a 94 L. I bought it a little over a year ago with only 20K miles on it. I payed $8000. As for the AWD being slower, I dont know I've never driven one. However, I did let someone who had an AWD drive mine. In there opinion, my car had better throttle response and handling than their's. FWDs are not as prone to understear as an AWD and can be easier to handle on dry pavement. I would be willing to but may car up agains any AWD SVX (except a 5-speed) on dry pavement. What most fail to realize is that AWD is only good for improving traction for excelleration. With the right set of tires it is difficult to exceed the grip of the tire in the FWD in a straight line. Therefor the AWD accually hinders the preformance of the car on dry pavement by adding weight and using more of the engines power to turn the extra gears. The only time I get any kind of wheel spin is during hard cornering and poor traction conditions (i.e. wet road)

Considering your in OK. and get less snow, there isnt any reason not to consider the 94 L. Unless your looking for something thats easy to modify. Keep in mind the parts are hard to find sometimes and tend to be exspensive. (get full coveage on your windows) I had my windsgeild get cracked right after I got the car. The bill to replace it was $1000. If Im not mistaken most of the other windows are in about the same price range. Plus You have to wait for them to be shipped in from Japan, if there isnt one near by.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Snickers

Huskerdude,

Take a hard look at your financials on this. It's never a good idea to trade a car that you have negative(upside down) equity in(unless it has a serious problem). We all inderstand the passion and desire for an SVX and how all consuming it can be. We also have our limits as to how much we'll spend to satisfy that urge. Any car purchase has risk, even a new car can turn out to be a bad risk. Hondas usually have low depreciation, if your loan amount is greater than your trade-in either you paid too much, had a very small down payment or the dealer is not giving you proper value on your trade-in. Push for better numbers, you have the power of the dollars on your side. Here is some cold water for your car fever.

Honda; boring, highly reliable, low depreciation, newer, better gas mileage, probably a lower car payment, worth more when you are done paying for it, lower maintenance and insurance, you can park it anywhere.

SVX; loads of sexy fun, reliability is more of a risk with the chance of expensive repairs, depreciation is unknown might become collectible, lower gas mileage, premium gas, harder to find technicians that can service your exotic wondercar, higher car payment.

So, the question is, do you feel lucky? Well do ya' Hu?
If not, can you give me the dealers number? Sounds like a nice car.

Dave
Old 07-16-2004, 12:20 AM
HuskerGuy

I appreciate all the imput. The feedback really does help. I realize I would be going from a new car to an older one, but as far as the payment is concerned, the SVX would be cheaper.

Yes, the dealer is not giving me the best price on my trade in value. I talked to a Subaru dealer and he said there is no reason I shouldn't be getting loan value on my 01 Civic (about $9000). As far as the SVX goes, he is asking too much (according to NADA) Ive looked at cars at this dealer before and they don't really like 'moving' much on their prices.

The dealer I know basically told me to try and work out a deal with him, i.e. giving me $8000 on my civic, pay the $5779, get the t-belt replaced (if necessary) and get it done by a subaru dealer. Trying to work something out so I dont get shafted. The bad thing is I KNOW he will sell that car to someone else for his asking price and they won't think twice.

As for the SVX, I am not concerned about the AWD much. Minimal snow in OK doesnt make AWD a must have. As far as the tranny is are the 94s known to have problems?

Thanks again for your help.
Any new posts are helpful.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:29 AM
HuskerGuy

Buffs?

How 'bout dem Buffs??

Scandals are great for recruiting
Old 07-16-2004, 12:32 AM
HuskerGuy

But John, you do have a great looking SVX. That is no lie! Very nice bro...

Old 07-16-2004, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HuskerGuy
As for the SVX, I am not concerned about the AWD much. Minimal snow in OK doesnt make AWD a must have.
All other things being equal, antilock brakes would tip the scales in favor of an AWD version, in my book.

Quote:
As far as the tranny is are the 94s known to have problems?
Very generally speaking, the SVX had some transmission problems out of the box that apparently were pretty much corrected by the '94 model year. But all seem liable to cook the transmission fluid, and the prevailing wisdom is that an aftermarket ATF cooler and frequent fluid changes are recommended.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 07-16-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Snickers

Hu,

It's good your payment will be lower, that's a point for the SVX side of the equation.

Have you done a search for "what to look for before you buy" yet? Lots of useful info.

Car dealers generally don't like to lower their prices unless they are persuaded. You deserve full trade-in value for your Civic. You should only pay the retail dealer book for the SVX or less. I know the car is rare and you don't want to take the chance on losing it. The reason they are rare is that they didn't sell in large numbers. The dealer may sell the car now or it might sit on the lot for months or wind up at auction where he will be lucky to get half of the NADA retail. Make him an offer using the numbers you've researched take it or leave it. If he says no walk away. Unless he overpaid for the SVX he will see that some profit is better than no profit and take the offer. As the deal stands you are being overcharged at least $2000 that is pure, greedy excess profit. Autotrader has had some SVXes for sale for over six months with no takers. The AWD version is more desireable than the FWD. I know it's not important to you, but it does affect value. Get the car inspected by a mechanic, if it needs work that will affect the price. I know you don't want to risk losing this car, at the same time the dealer doesen't want to lose a sale. It's a war of nerves. Go in and stare him down! No guts, no glory!

Dave
Old 07-16-2004, 02:47 PM
HuskerGuy

The dream is dead

Thank you for all your info, but I'm sorry to say the dream of owning the SVX is now a not so distant memory of what could have been. SOLD
Old 07-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: The dream is dead

Keep an eye out in the coming weeks/ months. SVX's pop up in the most unusual places...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by HuskerGuy
Thank you for all your info, but I'm sorry to say the dream of owning the SVX is now a not so distant memory of what could have been. SOLD

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)