How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-14-2003, 07:56 PM
snakeeyes232

Red face Day two of owning a SVX

Hello everybody. This is my first post on this board (I'm usually of Hayabusa.org). I recently (Saturday) bought a 1992 Subaru SVX w/ 147,000 miles on it. The previous owner took VERY good care of this car as it looks more like 47,000 miles!

Now the questions begin. I would never admit this to anyone outside of this board but the performance is ... not quite what I expected. I mean, for this car to have 230 ponies it really doesn't throw me for a loop like I thought it would. Secondly, I feel the need to harvest parts for it as it seems like a very, very rare car. Extra Transmission, rear dif, etc. I even saw a guy selling quarter glass and was tempted to buy!

I like the car so far but I guess I should start looking into the engine more. Maybe run some compression test on the cyls (Good luck getting a hand down there!) and doing a few vacuum checks. I just bought/installed a K&N filter after my buddy in a 1994 Suburban kept up with me pretty much in a light-to-light 1/4 mile race. I won but not by much.

Performance, things you think I should know and other apples of gold will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:18 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
It's got the ponies...but not the gears for a stoplight race...try a 70mph kickdown, and see if he keeps up
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-14-2003, 08:18 PM
snakeeyes232

One thing I forgot. I went to a authorized DECAH dealer today to get an estimate on the LamboDoors. First, he seemed like he wanted to sell me a different kind of kit than a DECAH. Something called AutoLock? Any way, we went to the website for AutoLock and the door looked pretty bizzare. I restated that I wanted DECAH only and he agreed. Problem is he's never done one and obviously, neither have I. He has done several Honda Civics but SVX's are (1) rare around here and (2) most people that have them don't want to fool around with much aftermarket items.

The point, does anyone on this board have a DECAH door kit and how hard was it to put on? Can I do it myself or should I take it to a custom shop. My skill level is pretty high as I custom build motorcycles. Harleys and Japanese.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Hater

Re: Day two of owning a SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by snakeeyes232
Now the questions begin. I would never admit this to anyone outside of this board but the performance is ... not quite what I expected. I mean, for this car to have 230 ponies it really doesn't throw me for a loop like I thought it would.
yours may have some issues - mine isn't a slouch, but its no acceleration-king, either. the SVX is geared (and designed) for high speed cruising, not stoplight drag racing. try it at 130mph. now drive a Mustang at 130mph. see the difference?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Alright, another Detroit owner!

This makes two guys this week! What area are you located?

Additonal performance comes hard by these cars. Nitrous is probably your best bet. Manual trans swap helps considerably. Other than that, do complete tune-up and don't attempt too many stop-light drag races, you'll be embarrassed often.

Todd
Old 07-14-2003, 08:21 PM
snakeeyes232

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
It's got the ponies...but not the gears for a stoplight race...try a 70mph kickdown, and see if he keeps up
Yeah, I noticed that earlier on the way home from work. Bat-outta-hell is more like it. The program CarTest, a Drag Race Simulator, shows the SVX to be a 15.0 second 1/4 mile car with a 7.9 second 0 to 60. I read another members post about us wanna be drag racers but I say this, It's my first week. Of course I'm going to try out everything that the car can or can't do!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:25 PM
snakeeyes232

Re: Alright, another Detroit owner!

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
This makes two guys this week! What area are you located?

Additonal performance comes hard by these cars. Nitrous is probably your best bet. Manual trans swap helps considerably. Other than that, do complete tune-up and don't attempt too many stop-light drag races, you'll be embarrassed often.

Todd
Right in the heart of the city. I'm a DFD firefighter on the west side. I found this SVX in Cleveland on the auto-mile. Funny thing, I drove from Detroit to BUY A CAR in Cleveland? Stranger things have happened I guess.

It seems like people keep telling me to lay off the light to light and I think i might believe them. How Modded is yours and what Mod would you do first if you had to do it all over again? Firefighters have lots of time on their hands to do projects like this.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:03 PM
AbdominalSnoman

The first thing that I think should be modded to this car is the tranny. While this is the first auto that I don't hate driving, it still does not fit a car like this. Once you beef up the tranny, I wouldn't worry too much about adding power to the car. I wouldn't try it before then though. What I would like to do to my car first and foremost is stiffen up the suspension, get rid of most of the understeer, and do whatever I can to make it handle better. It's probably just personal preference, but I like a car that can handle the twisties of an autocross track much more than a car that can hold its own in a drag strip.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:30 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
I do both with my car(autcross and Drag) and with just a 5speed swap the car is much more responsive. It will NEVER be a light to light car with even just a mere 5spd swap, the car is heavy and it takes quite a few revs to make it really get down. But if you really want it, its nice to know you can! I really reccamend a 5spd swap, and it would be VERY easy for you as todd(wawazat) is in your area and has all the parts/know how you need.
phil
Old 07-15-2003, 01:02 AM
snakeeyes232

I REALLY hate sounding like a newbie to this but I am so I guess it's expected. The 5 speed tranny swap? I toyed with the idea tonight while I was driving around. I'm 6'4" tall, think that clutch might be a little bothersome for someone as tall as me? Anyone else close to my height or taller with the 5-Speed? If so, let me know how driveability is affected.

Thanks to this page, I was able to find the steering wheel adjuster. I spent the first day with a steering wheel literally in my lap thinking "There has to be a better way!". Imagine, driving from Cleveland to Detroit non-stop with a steering wheel pressing your legs against the seat. OUCH! Tilt away does not equal steering adjustment. Three adjusters on one steering wheel? Unreal!

I guess I'll have to get more info from Todd about the swap out. I still wonder about that DECAH door system. $1,600 clams is not too much if it does what it says. I saw an Eclipse today with one and studied the hinge. Pretty simple but a pain if your tall (like me) the door only opens so much and then you have to scoot in while falling into the car. I wouldn't want to deliver pizza in it.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:11 AM
snakeeyes232

Quote:
Originally posted by AbdominalSnoman
The first thing that I think should be modded to this car is the tranny. While this is the first auto that I don't hate driving, it still does not fit a car like this. Once you beef up the tranny, I wouldn't worry too much about adding power to the car.
Too many Autos to mention but most of my sports cars have been sticks. Understand, I sold my Vette to buy this SVX. Why? It's unique! Plus the Vette was going to need about $3000 in restoration work to be even near the show quality of the SVX.

I live in Detroit, EVERYBODY drives a vette. Even grandmothers on their way to Sunday school. Very few people drive Subarus', much less SVXs....
Old 07-15-2003, 04:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Snakeeyes,

First, welcome to the SVX family.
Second. you should know the following:
The SVX was designed and built to be a high speed GT car for high speed cruising in both goood and bad weather. It will never be a stop light drag racer. Most of the guys that have time slips from the drag tracks have 1/4 mile times in the high 16's (yes 16's).
Third, the weak spots on the car are the tranny and the rear wheel bearings. Add an ATF cooler & filter kit, & use synth. ATF or put in a 5-speed.
Make sure when the wheel bearings are changed that the shipping grease is all cleaned off and pack them with a good lithium grease.
Fourth, since you're in Mich., wait until the snow flies. Then the grannys in Vettes will disapear and you will rule the road.

Finally, enjoy the ride and many miles of happy motoring.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:35 AM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Quote:

Yeah, I noticed that earlier on the way home from work. Bat-outta-hell is more like it. The program CarTest, a Drag Race Simulator, shows the SVX to be a 15.0 second 1/4 mile car with a 7.9 second 0 to 60. I read another members post about us wanna be drag racers but I say this, It's my first week. Of course I'm going to try out everything that the car can or can't do!
7.9s? Flooring it from idle maybe... But a "do not try this at home" launch has gotten me to 60 in 6.5s (according to a g-tech). My car is as quick as a friend's automatic 350Z.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:50 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
I REALLY hate sounding like a newbie to this but I am so I guess it's expected. The 5 speed tranny swap? I toyed with the idea tonight while I was driving around. I'm 6'4" tall, think that clutch might be a little bothersome for someone as tall as me? Anyone else close to my height or taller with the 5-Speed? If so, let me know how driveability is affected.
I'm 6' 4" and in the process of doing the five speed swap. I have modified the pedal setup so the pedals are at the stock SVX height. The clutch pedal is only about an inch to the left of where the automatic's brake pedal ends.

I'll let you know about drivability and leg flexability when I actually get it finished.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-15-2003, 09:16 AM
snakeeyes232

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Snakeeyes,

First, welcome to the SVX family.
Second. you should know the following:
The SVX was designed and built to be a high speed GT car for high speed cruising in both goood and bad weather. It will never be a stop light drag racer. Most of the guys that have time slips from the drag tracks have 1/4 mile times in the high 16's (yes 16's).Finally, enjoy the ride and many miles of happy motoring.
Thank you and I think this group of owners is very different than the Hayabusa crowd I usually hang out with. The SVX is more... rare. There are Hayabusas everywhere. I have to admit that the looks of the car were the first reason I bought one followed by the simulated speed. Well, the simulated speed was...wrong but the luxury of the car makes up for it. That suede interior... different. I do like the stares at lights and even better the question "What kind of car is that". My new response is "It a SVX". When they ask who makes it, I repeat "SVX" like it's some type of ultra rare snobbish car .