Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-09-2010, 12:40 PM

Shifter adjustment?

I'm trying to get my car inspected, and it's not gonna happen because of a little shifter problem, I get turned away everywhere I go. At least I hope it's a little problem.

Anyway, when you put it into park, it only halfway engages, you have to push the shifter all the way up to get it to release the key. Since it's not technically in park, I have to start the car in neutral (anti-theft feature!) And the reverse lights are still on because it hasn't moved up far enough. Furthermore, park doesn't actually engage, so I have to use the handbrake to keep it from rolling when parked. Since the key barely releases, and the reverse lights stay on, it leads me to believe that hopefully it's just an easy adjustment. And if it goes further up the lights should go off and hopefully the park gear actually engages.

Your thoughts? Where can it be adjusted eassily just under the shifter perhaps? Or is this something more serious?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Shifter adjustment?

It needs to be adjusted where the shifter cable attaches on the side of the transmission. Not too difficult, but you will need to drop the exhaust after the manifolds in order to get access as well as a heat shield I believe.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM

Dang...In other words, the car NEEDS to be lifted in order to do this, eh?
I really was hoping that wasn't the case. Oh well.
We may be able to lift the front enough to get under it with jacks and wood.

Any Idea what tools I would need?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awox View Post
Dang...In other words, the car NEEDS to be lifted in order to do this, eh?
I really was hoping that wasn't the case. Oh well.
We may be able to lift the front enough to get under it with jacks and wood.

Any Idea what tools I would need?
Some common sockets and open ended wrenches, 12 and 14 mm and I believe 10mm for the adjustment nuts on the shifter cable. If you have car ramps or jackstands, it can be done. Just be prepared for rusted bolts/nuts since you are dealing with exhaust. Also, you may need 2 people to help with the exhaust so it doesn't fall to the ground as it can cause something to fall apart.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Thanks man!
Also, any Idea as to the direction it needs to be adjusted?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Registered SVX

Alright, was thinking and remembered, you also have to remove the driveshaft- 4, 12mm bolts hold the driveshaft to the rear diff, you will need to have the rear wheels off the ground so that the driveshaft can be spun to get to all 4 bolts. The adjusters are going to be "behind" (toward the rear of the car) the transmission mounted to the shifter in the transmission "tunnel". With the problems you are having, you will need to "tighten" the adjustment nuts. There are 2 "nuts" on the cable that will both need to be turned clockwise (tightened) to adjust near where you need it. When you have the selecter where it needs to be, you will want to hold still the nut further on the cable while tightening up the nut on the end to make sure it stays put.

Hope this makes sense, although it probably won't unless someone can get some pics or just take these instructions with you and while you're under there, it should make sense.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 AM

O K I just adjusted this very thing so I'll give it a shot. On the tranny there is a lever that selects each gear including neutral. There on that lever is the neutral switch, so the neutral switch has to be adjusted to the tranny switch so they both have neutral at the same time. Clear as mud??? Well its not to bad to adjust, under the car on the pass side of the tranny is this lever, its conected to the shifter via a cable/rod, this has adjusters on it back by the driveline, more mud??? I sort of went crazy for a little while under there till I had the wife in the car while I was under there adjusting. So I put the shifter in NEUTRAL, so the N light on the dash is lit(important) we had to move the shifter slightly forward or back to get this, key in the on position, then adjust the adjuster till the tranny also is showing NEUTRAL, 2 clicks from PARK. PARK is all the way to the rear of the tranny, the neutral switch on the tranny can be adjusted to the gear switch of the tranny, more mud??? So what you are doing is adjusting the shifter with the tranny switch/ neutral switch. When its all good the car will start in park or neutral, if this is an adjustment problem this will fix it. Good luck with your problem, hope this helps and did not give you a headache, Cheers.....................G. I did all of this without removing any exhaust or driveline, it is a bit tight though.......G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbianchi View Post
I did all of this without removing any exhaust or driveline, it is a bit tight though.......G
Interesting. Guess I just have fat hands
Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 AM

I'd rather try it without driveshaft removal first