IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
Nope. They change the decking to that of the Legacy GT. And while bacily the same(same block and internals) it's more powerfull. 308 at the crank vs. 280 I think is what last years was set at.
-Gaddis
Thanks, I always assumed it that they put a twin scroll in all markets and that is also the reason why the all 08 STis have less turbo lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Pilot
There is no way that the Potenza RE070 could be considered an all season. It's classed as an "Ultra high performance summer" tire, and that tirerack description states: "These tires are not intended to be driven in snow." Besides which, anyone with a gram of common sense would be terrified to drive through the white stuff with those.
I always thought all-season was applied to any tire that can have can maintain traction in adverse road condition. But your definition makes more in where it handles well in dry and still doesn't slip as easily in snowy condition thus covering all seasons.

I guess when it comes down to it I am a bit disturbed that ecspecially auto magazines would slap the same tired moniker on two competing cars making the EVO the therobread rally racer while the WRX is more livable, whatever that means.

This is despite the glaring fact that the WRX is wider, in the hatch's case while also being a bit shorter and biggest factor is it is lighter. On the other hand the EVO has not only gained weight but also overall size, no longer officially competes in the WRC and its engine is now situated farther front to improve noise dampening. But I guess it is a matter of the authors plus editors comprising between shorter deadlines and fitting it between ever more advertisements.

Last edited by Weebitob; 01-30-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 PM

Our first STi just touched down yesterday. We were allocated only two for the year. But with only 160 allocated to the entire region, that's actually pretty good.

This one is Lightning Red with Silver BBS wheels, no Nav. The other one will be Spark Silver with factory 5 Spokes.

You really do need to see it in person. It is not as attractive as the EVO, to be sure. But it has a very purposeful - I go very fast - look to it.

Me Likey.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesy View Post
Our first STi just touched down yesterday. We were allocated only two for the year. But with only 160 allocated to the entire region, that's actually pretty good.

This one is Lightning Red with Silver BBS wheels, no Nav. The other one will be Spark Silver with factory 5 Spokes.

You really do need to see it in person. It is not as attractive as the EVO, to be sure. But it has a very purposeful - I go very fast - look to it.

Me Likey.
it is better than the previous one, but i just don't like hatchbacks.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-31-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
it is better than the previous one, but i just don't like hatchbacks.
Silly Rabbit - its a "Five Door", not a hatchback! Now doesn't that make you feel better about it?

Sorry, but that's our amazing marketing strategy for the good ol' U.S. of A.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Certified Porschephile

I understand the need for the 5 door for the WRC, look at the Citroen and Focus, not to mention the older Puegeots. The shape works better in rallying, but it doesn't look good, and cars should at least not make you look away from it. This car is closing in on Pacer/Gremlin territory, and I'm a Subaru loyalist.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesy View Post
Silly Rabbit - its a "Five Door", not a hatchback! Now doesn't that make you feel better about it?

not really. it still hit the ugly tree, has crappy seats, crappy stereo, and no sequential-manual tranny.

on the positive side, the dash/gauges look good. i really wanted to like the STi - i've owned 4 Subarus in a row now and i like them, but i just couldn't buy that turd.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
I finally got a hold of the C&D magazine and got to read for myself the two way comparison. While I came away understanding how the EVO GSR was placed in first primarily due to its gear ratio (which goes to show the number of gears doesn't equal the best tranny) and the fact it still went the quickest while being the largest. Even though they claimed the engine's droning gave their test driver a headache.

But I have never seen an automobile review that slammed steering feel so much, in the STi's. I think that is the primary reason considering (with the exception of short shifting from 1st to 2nd) the author stated every other aspect contributing to the ride quality including interior and suspension of the STi was oustanding. While the performance came up just short of the EVO GSR's. This means that either the 08 STi has the steering feel of a Toyota Camry or the reviewer is very particular of what qualifies as a great AWD sports car, he failed to elaborate.

I think this issue can be very easily remedied by Subaru if they adjust the settings of the power assist in next year's model. And for those who are unpatient and willing to pay a little extra can transplant the steering column from a 07 STi. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: