SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Why Sti rods?? Eagle makes better ones that are within relative cheapness...Thats why we use them in our EG33 builds

Tom
Well thats what's in this built one already. Besides it make is nice and easy to find replacements if I have an issue with one later. Either way I'm still just trying to find out if these parts are actually worth the getting this engine now even if I have to reset the compression to stock till I can SC it or what eve happens with this thing after it's in and the car moves. For a sample of what the rod difference it you can check out the Perrin EZ build here. http://www.perrinperformance.com/pages/show/32 I just saw that COBB a like build this year. Only just read the article in SubiSport haven't gotten to checking COBB's site for details on there build.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis

Last edited by Seraphinwolf; 12-14-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:19 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
No built motor for me(till I do it my self.)

Talked with SickSubi on AIM. Since the time and effort isn't worth the ripping this thing apart to do it back all again later just to put it back the why I would receive it I"ll be sticking with the "stock" form. thanks to all that chimed in. Helpful or not.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
No YT, OEM SVX rods and stronger than OEM STi rods. That fact was confirmed by a knowledgeable member and machinist on this board.

Having had them out of the engine and in my hands, the comparison between both stock and STi rods I can guarantee the SVX rods are inferior both in material and construction. No trying to start a fight but it is time people started learning the facts and not suggestions

Tom
Old 12-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Having had them out of the engine and in my hands, the comparison between both stock and STi rods I can guarantee the SVX rods are inferior both in material and construction. No trying to start a fight but it is time people started learning the facts and not suggestions

Tom
Ok you know better than anyone else around here... no more comment.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Ok you know better than anyone else around here... no more comment.
Whoa now, Danny..... Tom is one of the VERY few who have held a svx rod in their hands and even if I did not already know that the SVX rod is inferior to a STi rod and just heard it from YT, I would believe him.....

Tom has seen the internals of MANY eg33's, you haven't..... no more comment...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Tom has seen the internals of MANY eg33's, you haven't..... no more comment...
Is that truely what you think?

Do you know Ron? Aka NeedforSpeed? well he was probably the first to work on both SVX and STi internals.

I had a conversation with him 2 years ago concerning this issue, and he and another HIGHLY REPUTED MEMBER of this board both assured me that the SVX's are better than the STi's. But if New researches proved otherwise, then this could be our next debatable thread...

And don't be too sure that I have never seen the EG33's internals

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I know Ron pretty well actually. I am building him STi seats for his SVX right now.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
I know Ron pretty well actually. I am building him STi seats for his SVX right now.
Ok, please do ask him about that. I am still keeping the PM's we had at that time.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I must ask then, why are the 2.5's running the rods they are? Why not use EG33 rods with their high HP engines?? They are one and the same so why would Subaru go through the ropes of making new yet inferior rods? That question alone should answer any confusion. I know Ron and he is very knowledgable about these engines but to say that the STi rods with their better rod bolts and alignment dowels are better than the very standard EG33 bolts w/o dowels.

Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: