How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-13-2003, 12:01 PM
ww111

Smile Throttle body

My advice to anyone with an SVX is to "Clean the throttle body!" what a difference, no surging, great idle,it actually seems to shift cleaner. I did not have the high Idle problem either. It actually appears to have dropped the idle a couple of hundred RPMs. The biggest difference is the low RPM range under load. much smoother. Took all of an hour and a half. There was an actual ridge of gunk behind the butterfly, all gone now. All I need is a fanbelt for the TR-8... it'll be 80 degrees here Tuesday

Collins 92 pearlie
80 TR-8
Old 04-13-2003, 12:07 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Throttle body

Quote:
Originally posted by ww111
I did not have the high Idle problem either. It actually appears to have dropped the idle a couple of hundred RPMs.
Collins 92 pearlie
80 TR-8
That's because you did not open up and clean your IAC or TPS. when you remove them, it will take you a long time to re-adjust the RPM issues. In my case, IAC was clogged so I had to take it apart to deal with that. Anyone can just remove and clean the throttle body but the pain comes when you remove the IAC and TPS both. a milimeter of movement on the IAC or TPS can change between 500-1500 on the RPM scale. My advice, do not do it unless you have time and you know there is something wrong with it.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-13-2003, 01:10 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
My advice, for whatever thirty-three years of experience as a pro-wrench are worth, are to not only clean the throttle body but to also replace the PCV valve - it suffers from clogging also. First word of caution: do not undo anything that looks like an adjustment. The throttle blades have what some may consider to be an idle stop. The idle is controlled by the computer and IAC (idle air controller), not by the throttle stop. The stop is precisely adjusted at the factory to allow full closure without allowing the blades to contact the throttle bores.

The TPS (throttle position sensor) can be cleaned - kinda. It is not made to be disassembled and nobody should try to do so. However a squirt or two of carb cleaner followed by some air blowing or ample drying time can help remove some of the worn carbon inside and make its operation less electrically 'noisy'. To re-adjust it will require a volt-ohmmeter. Do a search here and you'll find several ways to accomplish the task.

The crud that builds up inside the t-body occurs over a period of time. While the crud is building the throttle blades and IAC are being forced into different positions. The computer 'learns' how to make allowances for these new positions. As a result of cleaning the computer will need to relearn the new positions. Sometimes this can take a few days until everything falls back into place.

Cleaning the t-body and MAF and replacing the PCV valve are common maladies to all modern port-injected engines. Some days it seems to be all I that I do. Customers come in with their MIL lamps glowing, I pull the codes - usually P03xx (misfires) and/or P040x (EGR malfunction of some sort) or P017x (O2 sensor malfunctions). A great deal of the time the misfires and O2 problems are caused or are related to crudded t-bodies and MAFs.

BTW - pouring stuff in the gas tank absolutely won't help reduce these deposits. Don't waste your money if this is what you're trying to accomplish.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:51 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Cleaned the throttle body today with some synthetic valvoline stuff in a gray can. Used about half the can in there and tried to get it in as deep as I could to clean the intake runners too. Started the car and it was coughing and gargling like a big block cigarette boat with above water exhaust. It sounded so cool I took video of it. I think it was just burning off all the crud and spray in there and sounded like it was misfiring a little. Maybe I used too much. Ran it for a little while to clear up all the gunk and then it idled smooth. Time to go for a drive and see how she does. I love weekends with sunny skies and nothing to do.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Cleaned the throttle body today with some synthetic valvoline stuff in a gray can. Used about half the can in there and tried to get it in as deep as I could to clean the intake runners too. Started the car and it was coughing and gargling like a big block cigarette boat with above water exhaust. It sounded so cool I took video of it. I think it was just burning off all the crud and spray in there and sounded like it was misfiring a little. Maybe I used too much. Ran it for a little while to clear up all the gunk and then it idled smooth. Time to go for a drive and see how she does. I love weekends with sunny skies and nothing to do.
You should change your oil right away. That corrosive stuff shouldn't stay in your engine for too long. Change your oil ASAP man.

- Rob