How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-24-2003, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ding N' Prayer
Time Trials

OK Everyone listen up! Even though I'm new to this site I agree with some others about "drag" racing your SVX. If you want to really see what your car is built for take it time trialing at the track the bigs boys go to! This is a FUN ,SAFE, way to really see how you and your car handle. Check out this site http://www.emraracing.org/ and find out a great way to spend the day at Pocono Raceway.
You don't use the entire track just a road course portion of it but I gaurantee you you will have a blast! It's not expensive and it's a great bunch of people. If you want to flag the event (they are always looking for volunteers, and they feed you)come early and they team you with an experienced flagger. You'll see the racing closer than TV! Instructors will be provided for those who want to drive and learn the track. If you run the trial s there are trophies for the top finishers and prizes for season champs! Come on live the good life at the track.! For those that just want to spectate there are usually other clubs running at the track also (Porches, bikers, etc.)

'92 Teal LS-L Sold to North Carolinaians!
1972+'73 BMW 2002 tii('72) someday I'll finish restoring them,...someday (for sale)
Old 04-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well it sounds like something I would try. I would like to know, as I could not find the answer on the web site, are other cars on the track at the same time, racing or is it one car at a time?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ding N' Prayer
Not during the time trial themselves , you would be alone or released at intervals that would not be near other cars. The only time you would share the track would be during intructing/practice times and only then if it was neccessary to pass it would be in designated areas (straightaways or wide areas of tracks with room to pass) and only after you have been ackknowledged by the car being overtaken. I may be making it sound complicated by it really boils down to common sense once you are on the track. As I mentioned before novices (which would be everyone as this is the first event of the year unless there are licensed time trialers) will have an experieced racer in the car instructing on driving behavior braking/passing zones, finding apexes of turns, and general car behavior to expect on this track. Drivers will be classed then according to there expected performance(their times) and put out in practice groups with others in similar time/skill level. Once an instructor feels comfortable with the driver they let you drive out on your own with your specific group. You can expect to get 3-4 sessions on the track(if everyone follows the instructions carefully)lasting from 15-20 minutes each depending on how many cars show up to the event. So you will get A LOT of seat time compared to a drag event or and autocross. Your car should be in good operating condition as it will be" teched" seat belts are a must. Remove any items that may be flying around PRIOR to getting to the track (besides more junk makes the car slower),They require you to bring a Helmet with a SNELL rating of 95 or newer (Don't quote me on that) and long sleeve shirt or jacket.
Bring some friends, folding chairs, pack some food (there is a consession stand but it's a little pricey) you will be there the whole but you'd be amazed on how fast it goes. There will probably be a few club racers there running the event to tune up thier cars for the season(they don't qualify for trophies though) so you can see what this hobby might lead too.
Here's a tip bring a good tire gauge and a bottle of white shoe polish (you autocrossers know what this is for) and an air caddy (there is a compressor there but you'll save a lot of time by having a tank with you. Any kind of vehicle will be able to run, again if it is in good working order and everything is down tight (ex. battery).
They usually run rain or shine but check with the timetrialchair@emraracing.org on the web site. One thing for sure you'll be going home with a whole bunch of
_Michael Decker #97 ST-4

'92 Teal LS-L Sold to North Carolinaians!
1972+'73 BMW 2002 tii('72) someday I'll finish restoring them,...someday (for sale)
Old 04-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

I can attest to Ding's enthusiasm, as this the same type of event that several of us attended at Summit Point Raceway, in West Virginia to watch Harry (newsvx) do lots of laps with his '97 around the 2 plus mile track. Definately a fun thing to do.

Ron (still a bit car sick, though).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.