SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
A History of my Teal SVX (extremely long)

A History of my Teal SVX.

I had spotted an SVX when I lived in NY several years ago. I used to have a Legacy station wagon and happened to park next to a beautiful Ebony SVX. It was kind of a love at first sight kind of thing. I didn't really do much research on the car or anything, I just really liked it when I spotted it. And mentioned it a few times after when looking for other cars.

One day I was looking around ebay for Subaru's and happened across the SVX. The teal was the first one I spotted, and the closest one to home. It was an extremely impulsive buy. I could not resist placing a bid on the beautiful car that was listed as "Fully serviced, ready for summer driving."

Pic from the Ebay ad:

I was so excited to go get this beautiful car, that I could not even wait one day and picked it up the same night. Unfortunately we could not get a good look at the car because it was dark. I signed all the papers and everything without taking it for a test drive. Which was another mistake.

While signing the papers I was also informed for the first time that it had a reconstructed title. Which didn't bother me too much at the time. I was still very excited to take the car home. But still had a nagging bad feeling about the recent Maaco paint job. (What where they covering up? RUST)

I started to drive the car away, and the first thing I noticed was the brake pedal seemed to almost hit the floor. This would be the beginning of a very rocky relationship with this car.

I take the car home, it makes it, but by the time I park it in the driveway the brakes are so bad they almost don't work anymore. The first thing I do the next day is take the wheels off and look at the brakes. The brake pads literally fall apart in 3 pieces. I took the rotors into a local napa and they told me the rotors where way below minimum. So I go home, write an email to the seller that the brakes where completely shot, and I guess instead of wanting negative feedback, he sends me a set of stock rotors.

Once they came and we got the car put back together, I start driving it around a little bit. I started hearing a lot of rattling in the exhaust. And I then noticed the car had some major oil leaks. It was smoking from the exhaust and leaking from the front main seal. It started by using about a 1/3 quart every couple weeks, then turned into using a quart every 2-3 days. It was time for either a rebuild, or a swap.

An old thread on stuff it needed:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37221

Shortly after that the starter desided to go out and leave me sitting at a post office.

This was around the time I met Budfreak. I was getting to the point I was going to send this car to the junk yard because Subaru wanted an outrageous amount to fix the car, and not very many local shops would mess with it.
2009 Subaru Forester - Mileage Junky
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2017 Ford Mustang GT 6spd