Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX
Okay this is total BS. First off, the charger weighed a bit over 4000lbs. Heavy by today's standards, sure, but when your beloved camaro weighs 3700lbs, it's really not ALL that heavy. Secondly, the charger (and all b bodies, roadrunners, gtx, superbee, satellite, etc) moved quite well even WITHOUT the hemi option. In fact, the hemi kinda sucked unless you were a hardcore drag racer. The 440 with dual quads was a pretty close race, and in 1970 with the introduction of the 'six pack' carb setup, it was just as fast as the hemi in the 1/4 with a lot less hassle (valve lashing, etc). Even the smaller big block, the 383, put out 330hp, which isn't too shabby. Sure, a charger with a 318 sucks, I'll give you that....
WOW not sure where you got your info, but I don't think there was EVER a camaro that weighed 3700lbs. The newest ones are the heaviest, at about 3500lbs. My bro's 1969 Camaro with a built 327 and pretty hefty sound system weighs in just under 3200lbs. That's a heavy one. From the factory they came in at about 3000 - 3150lbs. The charger on the other hand, weighed in nearly 1000lbs more. That's one hell of a difference. That's why I said, while the Hemi Chargers and Chevelles/442s weren't exactly slow, you can imagine the effect of putting the engines that made those cars rock into cars that weighed 1000lbs less. Insanity.

Quote:
Actually the extra weight is a total handicap. If you're smashing down on some concrete after a jump, a lighter car will fair much better, because the heavier one will have a lot more momentum to bottom out and smash against the pavement.
Not completely true. In many cases, the heavier car will fair better because it is less affected (less deceleration) by impact. This is mostly for the "parts flying off" comment you made. The bigger car will not absorb as much of the impact as a smaller one will, thus deceleration upon impact is less (creating less g's) and less "parts removing" force. Also remember that a bigger car will not come down harder, as long as it is launched at the same speed off the same ramp as the smaller car. Yeah heavier objects accelerate faster in a fall, but they also will not go up as high to begin with.

Quote:
Speaking of weight, you were referring to lighter cars like the camaro/mustang/challenger being faster than the big ones.... not always. Some of the big detroit iron with serious engines are REALLY fast, a lot faster than the same type of engine in a lighter car. Why? It's easier to make them 'hook up' at the strip.
I didn't say that. Maybe you misunderstood me.