SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-27-2002, 08:32 AM
Hater

Re: Landshark

Quote:
Originally posted by nevermind65
Admittedly, I didn't read ALL the replies to this thread, but you dodn't mention anything about replacing the O2 sensors ot the temp sensor.

As I said, I didn't read all the replies in detail, so maybe I missed it. The temp sensor made a big difference in my initial start-up. It is also pretty cheap and easy to replace. Your cars computer could be reading a "warm" signal until it is warmed up a bit. This will make it run lean until you get closer to operating temperature. I think I paid $15 for the sensor. Also, the O2 sensors may not be up to par. If they are reacting slow from being old, you could also experience a hesitation.

Just a few random thoughts.
where is that temp sensor? would you happen to have a part#? thanks for the tip!!! i did plan on replacing the O2 sensors soon - might as well do this, too.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-27-2002, 08:58 AM
nevermind65

temp sensor

Sorry, I don't have the manual with me offhand. If I recall, it is near the front of the engine under the alternator. I can check the manual at home later and let you know.

I don't have a part # as it was a while ago I did mine. You are better off going to a dealer, although it wouldn't surprise me if most of the Subaru's used the same sensor.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Hater

thanks

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Temp sensor

I have to agree with the temp sensor thing. That's about the only thing left that I could possible replace. Replaced plugs, clean air filter, clean TB, and all that. Actually, I did a general heistation search for my problem:

Start car, smooth idle. Accelerate at anything but a crawl and th engine bogs down then picks up then bogs then picks up. Does it for about 3 mintues after start. Consistent, every day thing.

So, I found a Nissan 300Z page that listed all kinds of fixes for different problems. I think Beav nailed it...the car runs based on the inputs it recieves. A fouled temperature sensor will make the ECU think the engiene temp is different from what it actually is. Apparently, from this thread, that will make it run rich (default running mode, if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, this fits my SVX perfectly since there is more black carbon buildup on my exhaust tips than noraml. It's also one of the first suggestions on the Nissan 300Z page (along with changing plugs, fuel filter, TB, and all the things we have all done). I'd really like to get the temp sensor...any part # yet?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 11-27-2002, 12:19 PM
nevermind65

o2 sensor

It may default rich if it actually stops working, but I've never seen one actually stop working. They usually just go haywire enough to cause a lean condition on initial start-up. It may run rich after the car is warmed up due to it not picking up the temperature of the coolant correctly.

Probably would help your gas mileage a bit also.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:26 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
No luck

Only temp sensor I could find on subaruparts.com

Exhaust temperature sensor assembly
22629aa000
$60.29

I don't think this is what we're looking for
I suppose it could also be O2 sensors, but I think some people have tried that and it hasn't worked. Not sure though.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 11-27-2002, 12:37 PM
nevermind65

I think this is it...

I think this is the part number, although I can't make out their drawing too well.

22630AA041 Coolant temp sensor

Price was under $17
Old 07-18-2003, 11:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Szalkerous
For the record, here is a clip off of subaruparts.com:

22630 $16.21 Sensor assembly-temperature
Old 07-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
hmm... ive never had this "bogging" problem. on the contrary i let my 92 warm up for a minute to keep it from peeling out and destroying my trasmission.
hm, stock fuel filter, o2 sensors, temp sensor.
however, iridium plugs, g-box, and 5w-50 oil...
i suggest compiling a list of symptoms and fixes for bogging. or just keep your car tuned and not worry about such things.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:43 PM
tuzem

I don't have a fix but I have the same problem. I thought I'd let you guys know

The "rich running engine" theory sort of makes sense to me though… Like most other members here I let my car idle for at least 1-2 minutes before I go to work in the morning but I’ve noticed two things that nobody else had mentioned in this thread:

1. Right after the carts starts my RPMs go up and down 3-4 times. It’s sort of a like a wave pattern. Up and down until it settles at around 2100rpms. Anybody else with the same symptoms? It only happens when the engine is cold.

2. The second thing is that my exhaust smells a little funny when I first start the car. It is a rather strong smell of unburned fuel. Does that mean the car runs rich? If so, would that have anything to do with the sensors everybody is talking about?

My car is a ’92 and has 160K so that could be the problem itself L I have no clue how the guy before me took care of the car – I bought it off an auction. On a side note: I also have problems starting the car… Sometimes I have to try 2-3 times in the morning…

Thanks!
Nick
Old 07-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
mkay as for the rpms going up and down i hear thats normal. every suby ive been in thats started cold does that. theres a problem if it happens when the engine is warm.

if the exhaust smell is very strong your either burning rich fuel, or burning something else, like coolant. its not strange to smell it right when you start it up and maybe for a minute, just as long as its not too strong for too long.
could be if your in a cold climate your auto choke is going nuts to keep the car running.
someone with even more knowledge than i will no doubt clarify everything but if not there ya go.

Old 07-20-2003, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Szalkerous
Has anyone checked their fuel pressure? fuel pump might cause weird behavior....

I only mention this because I have the same exact problem, only my car continues to buck the throttle even after it's warm, but on a much much lesser degree... when it's warmed up, it will do it as if i was pressing/depressing the gas a half inch...very small amount, but noticeable. the exhaust also spits here and there... seems liek a timing problem to me, but then again, I keep getting told by the subaru techs that it's electronic idle, timing, etc.... although I was under the impression the base timing could be adjusted by a computer through the service connector?

adunno.

-Sz
Old 07-20-2003, 08:19 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Szalkerous

my car continues to buck the throttle even after it's warm, but on a much much lesser degree... when it's warmed up, it will do it as if i was pressing/depressing the gas a half inch...very small amount, but noticeable.

-Sz
i dont think its the timing. ive driven for a long time with my timing out of whack and i dont get bucking. could be the idle, but thats doubtful. are you saying that it happens when you shift? like it feels eager to go? moving or not? what are your rpms at?

Old 07-20-2003, 09:08 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Question O2 sensors

I had this problem for about a year I tried injector cleaner knock sensors, use 94 octane, cleaned air filter, cleaned MAF + TPS, I put universal bosch O2 sensors and replaced them with OEM and the problem went away. How many of you have used universal o2 sensors? I'm curious
Old 07-21-2003, 11:50 AM
knight'92

Hey everyone... guess what...

I too have had this problem for a long time now...

I have done everything that everyone else has.. but I havent had the engine temp sensor looked at... and heck if its under $20.00 I think I will just give it a shot and see what happens...