Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX
Re: OBDII Mt conversion???

Damn, that is not what I wanted to hear guys! I was hoping all these years later that a fix would have been discovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I would like to come up with a fix for the problem. Just throwing around the idea because I do not think there is a single OBDII mt SVX out there right now
Still up for that challenge? I think my flex plate took a dump, so I'm begrudgingly collecting parts for a manual swap.

Tom, do you still sell modded pedal boxes and shift linkages?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobCrazy View Post
Damn, that is not what I wanted to hear guys! I was hoping all these years later that a fix would have been discovered.

Still up for that challenge? I think my flex plate took a dump, so I'm begrudgingly collecting parts for a manual swap.

Tom, do you still sell modded pedal boxes and shift linkages?
You realize that post was from 6 years ago. It is common knowledge now. Both him and I are telling you and anyone else that wants to keep asking, that it will have a permanent CEL from the lost comm link.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Doesn't do much good when the thread's topic doesn't have a resolution, now it does!

Would it be possible to take a freeze-frame or a few seconds worth of data from the TCU and send a loop of that data to the ECU to trick it into thinking that the car still has an automatic?

Would simply leaving the TCU plugged in and in place on the car be enough to get around this CEL business?

On a slightly related side note, has anyone ever converted an OBD2 car back to OBD1 ECU/wiring/TCU to get around these issues?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobCrazy View Post
Doesn't do much good when the thread's topic doesn't have a resolution, now it does!

Would it be possible to take a freeze-frame or a few seconds worth of data from the TCU and send a loop of that data to the ECU to trick it into thinking that the car still has an automatic?

Would simply leaving the TCU plugged in and in place on the car be enough to get around this CEL business?

On a slightly related side note, has anyone ever converted an OBD2 car back to OBD1 ECU/wiring/TCU to get around these issues?
There will be sensors and such that are missed by the TCU due to the lack of an auto transmission that will result in other errors.

Changing it to OBD1 wiring ought to work fine for getting rid of the CEL, but it wont' pass emissions testing or whatever due to the lack of OBD2. Actually, the thing to do would be to build an OBD2 - OBD1 adapter, then just plug in the OBD1 ECU. I think Young Tom made one, and I'd be up for the challenge if I had an OBD2 pinout.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Good luck replicating everything the TCU would see and have it report back to the ECU. It's not a simple range of voltage but complete communication back and forth.
Ok, so it is a digital signal. Have you seen it to know what is being communicated? First off, it is one line so it is likely one way data from the tcu to the ecu. Second, obd2 is not required to report tranny data so it is unlikely that there is a ton of information being passed. It is probably a simple "ok" signal or a signal reporting the obd2 error code.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
First off, it is one line so it is likely one way data from the tcu to the ecu... It is probably a simple "ok" signal or a signal reporting the obd2 error code.
This is what I was hoping it was. It's not CANBUS or anything, we're talking 1996 here... Can't be that complicated, right?

A jumper to an OBD1 ECU would be great, then I could take advantage of all the upgrades.
1) Has this been successfully done before? How close were any stillborn projects to completion and what caused the demise?
2) What would be involved? Could a few signals be tricked and work like OEM, or...?
3) Is this a worthwhile endeavor, vs. an aftermarket EMS?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Yes i made a jumper for obdii to obdi. Yes it works. Its worthwhile because you will need it to go along with a standalone ems anyway.

Tom
Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yes i made a jumper for obdii to obdi. Yes it works. Its worthwhile because you will need it to go along with a standalone ems anyway.

Tom
Where did you get the pinout for the OBD2 ECU? I haven't come across one yet as far as I can tell.

Also, did you use twisted/shielded wires for the crank/cam wires?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Last edited by icingdeath88; 11-28-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Maniac modifier

I had it on my old mitchel on demand cd.... old school members will remember i did a fundraiser for the network with them... dont have them anymore tho

I did not use sheilding as it was prototype work... but twisting the wires will work fine. In all reality the wires are not long enough to require it

Tom
Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I had it on my old mitchel on demand cd.... old school members will remember i did a fundraiser for the network with them... dont have them anymore tho

I did not use sheilding as it was prototype work... but twisting the wires will work fine. In all reality the wires are not long enough to require it

Tom
Ok, cool. I'll see what I can find.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Ok, cool. I'll see what I can find.
If you look back you will see that I broke down the wiring and pinout differences. They are minimal except for that damn diagnostic signal going to the OBD2 ECU. Wanna work on this together? When things calm down after Christmas I was hoping to tap into that diagnostic signal and record it.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
If you look back you will see that I broke down the wiring and pinout differences. They are minimal except for that damn diagnostic signal going to the OBD2 ECU. Wanna work on this together? When things calm down after Christmas I was hoping to tap into that diagnostic signal and record it.
Sure. Where did you post that?

Also, I have a 94 and 97, and you have a 96. That should represent all of the TCUs and ECUs. Can you take a pic of the TCU and ECU, where the plugs go, so we can verify the exact wiring of each of them?

I am thinking I can take the plugs from my spare body harness (or find new connectors) and a DIY BOB from here and make an adapter if someone needs one.

Last edited by icingdeath88; 11-28-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Maniac modifier

I still have my old jumper if any of you are interested

Tom
Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Tom
Sure. How much do you want for it?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:

Tom
Is it a jumper for OBD2 ECU to OBD1 ECU or OBD2 TCU to OBD1 TCU?