Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Rudi?
Yes 5 41.67%
No 4 33.33%
Maybe 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Network Design Administrator

Rudi Giuliani?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/...ent/index.html

So, I pose this question to you DEMOCRATS out there... Based on what you have seen of him, would you vote for him if he ran, or would you hold the party line?

I know there are a lot of variables, but look at it as a general question.

Would you, as a Democrat, vote for Rudi?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
He has a few things working against him. One he left his wife for a mistress, two he is catholic, and three he is too rough New Yorker for most of America.
Another funny thing. If Gingrich, Guliani, and Mitt Romney all ran for the nomination, the Mormon would be the only one who has had one wife.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
No, I wouldn't. He's too focused in my mind. Being mayor of the city is good, but I think further background is required. At least some Senate or House experience would help him get my vote (if he decided to run).

That and I'd have to be absolutely sure he's not a Neo-Conservative. If I see any inklings of that, I'll be forced to vote for the Democratic candidate....even if it is Hillary (my God I hope not).
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 11-14-2006, 07:07 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

This is an extremely good question.

He seems moderate enough. That would be my personal concern is extremism. I just can't stomach anymore of this far right and far left battle of the last 5 or 6 years, because it forced the moderates either left or right.

If, after investigation, he turns out to be moderate, I might just vote for him. It would maintain an excellent check and balance in our system. I'm not real crazy about a full democrat House and Executive no more than I liked the full republican way. This will weigh very heavily in my decision regardless of who is running. Depends on who it looks like will be controlling the house.

Personally, between senate/congress/executive, I'd like 2 demo's and 1 rebut.

And all 3 to be moderates. But I don't want them to get along, for debate is what makes this country strong. We lost that for a few years.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 11-14-2006, 07:19 AM

Democrats will argue over a warning on a dental floss label. That's why 2 should be controlled by them. The rebuticans have turned too much into yes men for my taste, but power corrupts. So.... 1 needs to be controlled by them.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Network Design Administrator

In the article I linked, it describes him as a Moderate. Not that I beleive the media or anything. I just think that if he ran, he would have a legitimate shot. Based on how he handled 9/11 if nothing else.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
No, I wouldn't. He's too focused in my mind. Being mayor of the city is good, but I think further background is required. At least some Senate or House experience would help him get my vote (if he decided to run).

That and I'd have to be absolutely sure he's not a Neo-Conservative. If I see any inklings of that, I'll be forced to vote for the Democratic candidate....even if it is Hillary (my God I hope not).
define neo-conservative
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-14-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie
define neo-conservative
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/member.php?u=1397

Snort!

Couldn't help myself.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to Duckie
I would vote for him in a second. All the likely canadits for demo horrify me.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:53 AM

agreed... especially Barak Obama. There really is no true in the dems "farm system" other than him though. Hillary is too polarizing a individual to win IMHO.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-14-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
I don't think that Ihopp is a communist turned conservative. That is what a neo-conservative is. The term is also very commonly mistaken as meaning a radical right winger, but unfortunately that is incorrect. People like Dave Horowitz, Whitaker Chambers, Norman Podhoretz, and James Burnham are all neo-conservatives. I believe Burnham grew up in a communist family and then became a conservative (of sorts). I may be incorrect, but I think that "neo-conservative" actually to true conservatives implies a more moderate position on hard core issues. I think that Manarius was trying to say "radical conservative". Again Ihopp definitely does not qualify as a neo-conservative. Sorry to disappoint.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie
I don't think that Ihopp is a communist turned conservative. That is what a neo-conservative is. The term is also very commonly mistaken as meaning a radical right winger, but unfortunately that is incorrect. People like Dave Horowitz, Whitaker Chambers, Norman Podhoretz, and James Burnham are all neo-conservatives. I believe Burnham grew up in a communist family and then became a conservative (of sorts). I may be incorrect, but I think that "neo-conservative" actually to true conservatives implies a more moderate position on hard core issues. I think that Manarius was trying to say "radical conservative". Again Ihopp definitely does not qualify as a neo-conservative. Sorry to disappoint.
Actually, the original neo-conservatives were anti-communist democrats. Their belief system was liberal, but they wanted communism destroyed. Hence "neo" conservative.

Ronald Reagan was the very definition of a neo-conservative. A staunchly anti-communist moderate liberal turned republican. The republican party won over Reagan due to the democrats wanting to have a more conciliatory relationship with the Soviets. Reagan hated the Soviets and would much rather have attacked them, than try to be friends with them. The republican party convinced Reagan they better suited his belief system, Reagan changed parties, and voila! There started the slow migration of the neo-cons to "the dark side". By the end of his 8 years as President, the neo-conservatives were firmly republicans, and no longer a part of the democratic party.

As it should have been. The democratic party did not have their backs. They were soft on communism during the 70's, and 80's. I give Reagan boatloads of credit for the fall of the communist party. I commend him.

As the cold war lingered on, things stayed calm within the belief system. But once the cold war ended, the group lost its identity. They were no longer liberal, and there wasn't much communism left to deal with. So the belief system migrated toward a military doctrine that we must maintain a military strong enough to control the entire world.... Which we did, and we still do.

The group stayed small until Bush Sr decided against going into Iraq after Kuwait was liberated. This really ticked them off and remotivated them. Their membership grew rapidly, and they re-found a purpose. That purpose being to spread democracy via any means..to include military might. The group grew rapidly during the Clinton years, and brought Bush into power. And the rest can be logically filled in to bring it all up to date.

The irony of it all.... Today, a neo-conservative is automatically thought of as true ultra hard core conservatives with a religious base. We all think that when someone says neo-con.

But look up the word neo. Things have changed since the cold war, huh?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 PM

Oh... and Clinton was a neo-liberal. And what's funny about that, if you look up the definition of neo-liberalism, you'll find it basically means the same thing that a neo-conservative meant back in the late 70's, early 80's without the anti-communist part.

Crazy democrats. I think they are trying to start over again.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Actually, the original neo-conservatives were anti-communist democrats. Their belief system was liberal, but they wanted communism destroyed. Hence "neo" conservative.

Ronald Reagan was the very definition of a neo-conservative. A staunchly anti-communist moderate liberal turned republican. The republican party won over Reagan due to the democrats wanting to have a more conciliatory relationship with the Soviets. Reagan hated the Soviets and would much rather have attacked them, than try to be friends with them. The republican party convinced Reagan they better suited his belief system, Reagan changed parties, and voila! There started the slow migration of the neo-cons to "the dark side". By the end of his 8 years as President, the neo-conservatives were firmly republicans, and no longer a part of the democratic party.

As it should have been. The democratic party did not have their backs. They were soft on communism during the 70's, and 80's. I give Reagan boatloads of credit for the fall of the communist party. I commend him.

As the cold war lingered on, things stayed calm within the belief system. But once the cold war ended, the group lost its identity. They were no longer liberal, and there wasn't much communism left to deal with. So the belief system migrated toward a military doctrine that we must maintain a military strong enough to control the entire world.... Which we did, and we still do.

The group stayed small until Bush Sr decided against going into Iraq after Kuwait was liberated. This really ticked them off and remotivated them. Their membership grew rapidly, and they re-found a purpose. That purpose being to spread democracy via any means..to include military might. The group grew rapidly during the Clinton years, and brought Bush into power. And the rest can be logically filled in to bring it all up to date.

The irony of it all.... Today, a neo-conservative is automatically thought of as true ultra hard core conservatives with a religious base. We all think that when someone says neo-con.

But look up the word neo. Things have changed since the cold war, huh?
Thanks. You put it clearer than I did. I did not mean to say communist turned conservative.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-14-2006, 10:29 PM

And electrophil, we agree!!!!!!!! Wow what a day this is. Reagan was awesome. Unfortunately I was too young to really remember him as President and I can only read other people's writings on him.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5