IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Exclamation Engine died on the way to work

So I wake up this morning, get in my car, and head to work. about 6 miles down the road, the engine warmed up, heat blowing as it's 56 degrees out, radio going, i'm heading up a slight grade hill. All of a sudden i'm slowing down, though my foot is on the gas. I push in the clutch, and the tachometer drops to 0rpm, so i quickly pull over to the side of the road and put on my 4-way flashers.

Soon as i pull over and make sure i'm clear of traffic, i turn the key. Car starts, then dies again immediately after. I start it, really goosing the gas, and it revs up, and goes long as i have a hefty amount of gas going in, but i let off, and it dies. So i start it again, give it gas, shift to first, and take off, making sure to keep the engine at 2500+rpm.

I come to a stop light, press the clutch, and watch the needle drop to zero rpm. Light turns green, i start it up, and away i go. I head down a hill, coasting, and touch the gas every once in a while to make sure the engine is still running, and it is. I come to a stop, pressing in the clutch, and it returns strait to 500-600rpm, and sits there nicely.

The rest of the drive in is without incident. I get to work, pop the hood, check all fluid levels, and everything is fine. I check the connections to the battery, nothing loose, everything where it's supposed to be. Everything appears as it should.

Now, this is different than the 5mt stall, where cruising at 2500+ rpm, suddenly you press in the clutch and the engine speed drops to fast for the thing to keep giving it gas, and it stalls. This was, with clutch engaged, a full on no more combustion in the engine. What was odd was that with the clutch engaged, it should have fired back up with fuel, as it's virtually the same as bump-starting.

My theories: I have plenty of gas, and of the 94 octane variety, so i know it's not that. Temporarily clogged fuel filter perhaps? Distributor cap going bad? I wouldn't think the tps because, when checked a few weeks ago, it was almost dead on, plus it always finds a happy rpm, never idles over 700rpm when warm, around 1100-1400 when cold.

Any insite on this would be greatly appriciated. If this is to be something serious, i'd rather catch it in earlier stages as opposed to the later stages. Thanks much.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!