How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2001, 10:30 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Unhappy Shifter won't leave park unless i press

the shift release...anyone know what this is? It was blazing hot yesterday and now the gear shift won't release with the brake like it's supposed to and having to press that shift release button is getting on my nerves. Any help would be appreciated.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 07-20-2001, 10:35 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Shifter won't leave park unless i press

Quote:
Originally posted by halistan
the shift release...anyone know what this is? It was blazing hot yesterday and now the gear shift won't release with the brake like it's supposed to and having to press that shift release button is getting on my nerves. Any help would be appreciated.

~Ray
Sounds like your shift lock unit has gone south. You may need a new one, or, perhaps the ground is just grungy. If you remove the panel under the E-brake lever and look forward and toward the driver's side, you can see the ground. You can also see a portion of the unit.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-20-2001, 10:38 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
hmmm, that's a good idea. I think i'll take that apart tonight or tomorrow and see if i can find it. Do you per chance know about how much it would cost for another shift lock. After the $400 i just spent on a new half shaft axle, water pump, timing belt and crank & cam seals, i am hoping that it is not too expensive. So Far $800 in one month on repairs for 2 SVX's is too much right now Thanks aredub.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 07-20-2001, 10:48 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Shifter won't leave park unless i press

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Sounds like your shift lock unit has gone south. You may need a new one, or, perhaps the ground is just grungy. If you remove the panel under the E-brake lever and look forward and toward the driver's side, you can see the ground. You can also see a portion of the unit.
Well, you may be right, but I've never seen one go bad. You might want to check the brake light fuse first?
Old 07-20-2001, 10:55 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
That's a good idea too, thanks mike. A fuse wouldn't be to bad at all to change.

~Ray
Old 07-20-2001, 11:26 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Quote:
hmmm, that's a good idea. I think i'll take that apart tonight or tomorrow and see if i can find it. Do you per chance know about how much it would cost for another shift lock. After the $400 i just spent on a new half shaft axle, water pump, timing belt and crank & cam seals, i am hoping that it is not too expensive. So Far $800 in one month on repairs for 2 SVX's is too much right now Thanks aredub.

~Ray
Wow you got a new axle, water pump, timing belt, and seals all done for $400!?!??! I did my belts, waterpump / hoses myself for almost $300...raw parts cost!

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 07-20-2001, 12:01 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
Yeah, i bought the parts from cdasubaru.com.
Axle $240
water pump and gasket $50
Timing belt $65
crank and cam seals (doubled for both SVX's) $42
Total came to $397, not too bad since otleatha subaru wanted $700 for the same parts and another $800 for work. Total for them was $1500. Have i mentioned here that i hate Oletha subaru? well if i haven't...i do!

Dr. Kouh and i will do all the work ourselves so i won't have to pay the dealership for their work or customer service (or lack thereof) and I'll just pay Dr. Kuoh a chinese dinner buffet and custard dessert for his help *grin* not a bad deal i think.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:09 PM

Wow good price on the belt. Mine was $130!

Ryan

Old 07-20-2001, 12:13 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
timing belt $130.....

Ouch, you should really check with either larry or Ryan at CDA suabru. They are both really good guys and can save you some money. They save me at 40% off what my dealership wants for parts. I haven't had a problem with them yet. They are pretty cool guys. The number is 800-525-2441.

~Ray
Old 07-20-2001, 12:43 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
SVX manual

I pulled out the handy dandy owners manual and i think eddy was right about the fuse. The horn went bad as well yesterday (but i was thinking i just melted a hose from the air horn) but the manual says that the brake light and horn are both on the same fuse.....soooooo, as soon as i can get away from here i'll head outside and check that fuse. Thanks Eddy! One question though, does this mean i don' t have any brake lights at all?!?! i don't want to be driving through the construction zone on the way home without brake lights (lots of stopping, and people here like to speed through constructions zones)....help

~Ray
Old 07-20-2001, 12:45 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: SVX manual

Quote:
I pulled out the handy dandy owners manual and i think eddy was right about the fuse. The horn went bad as well yesterday (but i was thinking i just melted a hose from the air horn) but the manual says that the brake light and horn are both on the same fuse.....soooooo, as soon as i can get away from here i'll head outside and check that fuse. Thanks Eddy! One question though, does this mean i don' t have any brake lights at all?!?! i don't want to be driving through the construction zone on the way home without brake lights (lots of stopping, and people here like to speed through constructions zones)....help

~Ray
Cool. Great to hear it was just a fuse.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-20-2001, 01:27 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: SVX manual

Quote:

~Ray
Yup, no brake lights at all. However you should have a spare fuse in your sub fuse box cover.
Old 07-20-2001, 02:43 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
Good call eddy!

OK, during lunch i went out and checked the fuse and sure enough it was out. Burn out pretty bad too and sure enough there was a spare right there on the box! Now the horn, shift lock and brake lights are all working again. Thanks for the assist, i guess with all the things that i have had to replace lately i was just being overly pessimistic (ya know...when it rains it pours) and just assumed that something expensive went bad. Glad that i was wrong. I appreciate the help. Bye

~Ray
Old 07-20-2001, 02:47 PM

Re: Good call eddy!

Quote:
OK, during lunch i went out and checked the fuse and sure enough it was out. Burn out pretty bad too and sure enough there was a spare right there on the box! Now the horn, shift lock and brake lights are all working again. Thanks for the assist, i guess with all the things that i have had to replace lately i was just being overly pessimistic (ya know...when it rains it pours) and just assumed that something expensive went bad. Glad that i was wrong. I appreciate the help. Bye

~Ray
Haah I feel exactly the same way! I started with a $750 SVX three months ago...now it up over $5000. It's been pouring on me a lot lately. Crazy enough...I still love driving it...and don't regret buying it either.

Ryan

Old 07-20-2001, 04:11 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Good call eddy!

Quote:

~Ray
You're welcome Ray. And even though Aredub probably thinks I spent them 20 years staring at the walls, I did learn a couple of things.