Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 AM

Transfer Duty Solenoid

Firstly, I want to thank "Shane Hobson" from NZ for helping diagnose a problem I'm having with my SVX. I originally posted the following on a different thread:

"When turning tightly and slowly in my SVX, particularly on gravel, you can hear the rear wheels slipping on the gravel - it almost sounds like they are not turning in sync with the front wheels. On bitumin, slow turning makes a thudding sound on each revolution, again feeling like the wheels are trying to compensate for the different speeds they are travelling at thru a tight corner. Any ideas?"

Shane suggested it could be a problem with the Transfer Duty Solenoid. I had no idea what that was, so I did a few Google Searches. There was a lot of info on Torque Bind in relation to the solenoid. Now that I have a good chance that this diagnosis is correct, where is the best place to buy one and where should I take it to be fixed? Would most Auto Trans Mechanics be able to fix it without wrecking something else? (I live in Maitland, NSW). Is this part the same as from other Subie models? Is it likely that the clutch pack may need replacing as well? Thanks!

Last edited by gjhumphris; 09-18-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Transfer Duty Solenoid

You might want to start with a drain and refill with fresh Subaru ATF plus a bottle of Lubegard ATF protectant. In minor cases it has been shown to stop the binding. It worked for me with my 1997 Outback that had over 100K miles on the original ATF, sad as it is to admit that.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Grant.
The Service Manager At Regal Subaru Recommended To Me,
Barry Stace Auto Trans. 110 Fern St Islington 49622900
He Knows The Svx Box, He Did Brady's
Glenn
Old 09-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhumphris View Post
Firstly, I want to thank "Shane Hobson" from NZ for helping diagnose a problem I'm having with my SVX. I originally posted the following on a different thread:

"When turning tightly and slowly in my SVX, particularly on gravel, you can hear the rear wheels slipping on the gravel - it almost sounds like they are not turning in sync with the front wheels. On bitumin, slow turning makes a thudding sound on each revolution, again feeling like the wheels are trying to compensate for the different speeds they are travelling at thru a tight corner. Any ideas?"

Shane suggested it could be a problem with the Transfer Duty Solenoid. I had no idea what that was, so I did a few Google Searches. There was a lot of info on Torque Bind in relation to the solenoid. Now that I have a good chance that this diagnosis is correct, where is the best place to buy one and where should I take it to be fixed? Would most Auto Trans Mechanics be able to fix it without wrecking something else? (I live in Maitland, NSW). Is this part the same as from other Subie models? Is it likely that the clutch pack may need replacing as well? Thanks!
You don't say if it had a TCU code or not. If it is the C solenoid it will give a code, but it still can be the Transfer valve that is part of the C solenoid/transfer unit, that is holding the clutch on.
Either way the rear of the box has to come off and replace the C solenoid/transfer valve unit.
The Solenoid is different for the 92to 94, and the 95 to 97 models.
The No. for the Aust 92 to 94 model is SU31942AA051. the 95 to 97, No. is SU31942AA061. Costs about $180.00au. from Subaru.

Get Barry Stace to do the job.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:40 AM

Thanks Tony. All fluids are fresh and have only done about 900 kms.

Thanks Glenn - should've bought your SVX! Hopefully this fix will be covered under warranty though ..... Will contact Barry.

Thanks Harvey. No codes showed up. Would you agree, by my description of the problem, that it would be to do with the solenoid / valve? Anything else come to mind?

Last edited by gjhumphris; 09-19-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:21 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:

Thanks Glenn - should've bought your SVX! Hopefully this fix will be covered under warranty though ..... Will contact Barry.

Thanks Harvey. No codes showed up. Would you agree, by my description of the problem, that it would be to do with the solenoid / valve? Anything else come to mind?
Toss a bottle of lubegard in there, go for a short drive to a parking lot, do a bunch of figure 8s and see if that frees things up for you. It worked for me and lasted at least 60k miles when I sold the car. It is cheap enough to try......

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 09-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:

There are only the two faults that it can be. If the C solenoid has an electrical or armature fault, it will post a code. The other is if the Transfer valve is stuck to keep the clutch applied. There is a procedure to tell which it is, but it still comes back to replacing the solenoid/transfer valve assemble. It may be worth replacing the clutch plates at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Toss a bottle of lubegard in there, go for a short drive to a parking lot, do a bunch of figure 8s and see if that frees things up for you. It worked for me and lasted at least 60k miles when I sold the car. It is cheap enough to try......
I would be very wary of adding one of those additives to the trans. It may free-up the brake band and the high clutch, instead.
Doing the figure 8s is mainly for new plates, these have been in service for some time, so they should be as free as they can get.

Harvey.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I would be very wary of adding one of those additives to the trans. It may free-up the brake band and the high clutch, instead.
Doing the figure 8s is mainly for new plates, these have been in service for some time, so they should be as free as they can get.

Harvey.
I don't believe Lubegard changes the lubricity of the oil so there shouldn't be any fear of it causing a problem. All I can say is that they are a reputable company and this problem has been remedied for myself and many others by using their product. For this issue, the additive cleans off whatever gunk gets built up on the various parts as a result of running the ATF too hot or too long or both. It also conditions seals, prolongs the useful life of the ATF and promotes wetting for better heat extraction and cooling of the hottest components. I believe LAN suggests Subaru ATF with Lubegard as a general practice. If I were running non-synthetic ATF, I would add Lubegard every time I added ATF. I see no drawback from him adding Lubegard to his fresh ATF. If it frees up whatever is stuck, great. If not, he will have better fluid in the tranny when whatever bad part is replaced.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 PM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX

Hi Grant.

Sorry I haven't seen you and the car yet. Grant at Regal knows the SVX. Barry Stace REALLY knows the SVX transmission, as he worked on mine and at least two others I know of.

Hope to see you soon.

Ringo
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 AM

Help! Can someone put me onto where I can get a Transfer Clutch Solenoid from please? I had my car booked in with Barry Stace today, but he said that he was unable to get the part as there were no more left in Australia! Apparently I need the one with the "yellow wiring harness" for my '92 SVX. Is this Part number SU31942AA051 ? Is this part also called the Transfer Valve Assembly (that's what Hunter Subaru called it)? Any clarification / help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Grant
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Help! Can someone put me onto where I can get a Transfer Clutch Solenoid from please? I had my car booked in with Barry Stace today, but he said that he was unable to get the part as there were no more left in Australia! Apparently I need the one with the "yellow wiring harness" for my '92 SVX. Is this Part number SU31942AA051 ? Is this part also called the Transfer Valve Assembly (that's what Hunter Subaru called it)? Any clarification / help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Grant
I would start ringing around all the trans shops to see if anybody has one.
You can get them from Japan.
Yes it is the Transfer valve Assemble.
It is the same as the 92 to 94 JDM one. Part number SU31942AA051, yellow wire normally open.
Some other autos used the same solenoid.

Harvey.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 AM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX

Quote:
Hi Grant!

Sorry, Barry must have used all of his solenoids on my car! Hahaha!

Let me know how you go.

I am getting my new brakes fitted soon - I will have to take you for a spin!
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 11-22-2012, 07:43 PM

Thanks for your help, guys. Ordered Part SU31942AA051 ("Transfer Valve Assembly") from Hunter Subaru today - pricing not too bad at $194. Will take 10 days from Japan. Will then get Barry Stace to install.

Thanks agin,
Grant
Old 07-19-2013, 03:22 PM

*Edit* - I now understand that the part # difference is due to regional differences (Thanks Harvey), and I hope this info can help someone who gets here by search.

My Subaru dealer does not have part #SU31942AA051.

Instead, their listing of the "Transfer Valve Assembly" is SU31942AA061.

I'm posting this just in case it is helpful for anyone else that is searching for the part, and offer a few more details below.

After looking through all my usual online resources I had zero luck finding this part online.

My local dealer (I live in Calgary) told me that their listing does not specify which solenoid is A, B, C, etc.

After looking at this diagram, he believed the part to be the "Transfer Valve Assembly", which was reassuring since it is the same description as below from Hunter Subaru.

The parts dealer supplied me with this diagram of the tail assembly, and said the part in question is 31942, which does look like the Duty Solenoid C.

I then found this complimentary diagram in the Factory Service Manual, which confirms that it is indeed the Duty Solenoid C.

Last edited by Dynamic Entry; 07-19-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic Entry View Post
My Subaru dealer does not have part #SU31942AA051.

Instead, their listing of the "Transfer Valve Assembly" is SU31942AA061.

I'm posting this just in case it is helpful for anyone else that is searching for the part, and offer a few more details below.

After looking through all my usual online resources I had zero luck finding this part online.

My local dealer (I live in Calgary) told me that their listing does not specify which solenoid is A, B, C, etc.

After looking at this diagram, he believed the part to be the "Transfer Valve Assembly", which was reassuring since it is the same description as below from Hunter Subaru.

The parts dealer supplied me with this diagram of the tail assembly, and said the part in question is 31942, which does look like the Duty Solenoid C.

I then found this complimentary diagram in the Factory Service Manual, which confirms that it is indeed the Duty Solenoid C.
This thread is in the "Down under Euro" section, because the gear box that we have is different to the one in your US model car. The US car only used the SU31942AA061 part in all models. The Aust, Euro, had two different year models. The No. for the Aust 92 to 94 model is SU31942AA051. the 95 to 97, No. is SU31942AA061

Harvey.