Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
Re: Anyone given any thought to the next Reading Meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Joining in a Subaru meet makes a lot of sense. Many of us own multiple Subarus of various types and could get even more out of a meet like that. Where do some of the better meets occur and when?

I would suspect the location would be determined by two opposing forces. One is that there are more Subarus sold in NY and northern New England than parts south. The other is that car rot and die faster in northern NY and New England than parts south. For the newer models, you would probably get a better turnout farther north and for older models, farther south.
they do have a meet like this. It is called Wicked Big Meet. http://www.wickedbigmeet.com/ So there is your "northern meet" that you want to go to so badly.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
So there is your "northern meet" that you want to go to so badly.
Hey, keep Reading the way it is and keep in a dead area of Pennsyltucky. It will just continue to wither and die. I don't get why you PA guys are so reluctant to drive. Stafford Springs is actually in/near a really nice corner of CT. It is close to Sturbridge MA which has some nice tourist attractions and restaurants. There could be worse things we can do than hold our SVX meet at this Subaru meet. And I bet there are other options which have some big pros to them.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 07-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

Quote:
Hey, keep Reading the way it is and keep in a dead area of Pennsyltucky. It will just continue to wither and die. I don't get why you PA guys are so reluctant to drive. Stafford Springs is actually in/near a really nice corner of CT. It is close to Sturbridge MA which has some nice tourist attractions and restaurants. There could be worse things we can do than hold our SVX meet at this Subaru meet. And I bet there are other options which have some big pros to them.
well I really think you are barking up the wrong tree here dude. I'm not afraid to drive. I'd go to WBM if it wasn't on my birthday (most of the time). I also for the last 5 or so years have been going to an SVX/ XT meet at the Tail of the Dragon which is 600 miles ONE WAY to get there..and oh by the way for the second year in a row I will be going to a Subaru meet on the west coast (WCSS) that while I admit I won't be driving to but have dropped $500 in plane tickets alone already (I still need to pay for food, car rental (always a Subaru), and motels). So I (as one example) am not afraid to spend some bread (or do some driving) for the love of the Subaru.

I do take offense that you think this is Pennsyltucky. I live in town, my neighbors have single color pickups, there isn't cig buts all over the streets, and last time I checked no spitoons on our front porches.

If you recall, I was the one a few posts back that said that you should organize a meet up there if you want one or you could get a group of SVXi together and go to WBM if you wanted to.

Ok enough with him. Moving on:

If the people who think this meet at Reading sucks so bad then they need to step up. It is easy for people to come here to criticize and not do jack crap about it. It is also easy to criticize John about this yet he is the one who puts the effort into doing this year after year. Every time Ben, Dave, or myself have tried to do something (group drive, scavanger hunt, beer tour, car museum) it is like hearding cats to get people to go along with it, and yet people still complain there is nothing to do. Personally I like sitting around and BSing with people I only get to talk to on the internet...and this is coming from a guy who is not the most sociable person you ever met.

/soapbox
Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
..and oh by the way for the second year in a row I will be going to a Subaru meet on the west coast (WCSS) that while I admit I won't be driving to but have dropped $500 in plane tickets alone already (I still need to pay for food, car rental (always a Subaru), and motels). So I (as one example) am not afraid to spend some bread (or do some driving) for the love of the Subaru.
Now this is one show that would love to see some nice SVX's representing our network. I'd love to go to this show... a little far for me but it is a pretty well known get together on the west coast here.

How about some of you guys from the Pac. Northwest put together a little mini meet at WCSS, show Subeman a good time (!), and show off some of your cars?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Personally I like sitting around and BSing with people I only get to talk to on the internet or get to see only once a year.
That is how the original Reading meet began. Read the "History of Reading".

This is like a recurring family reunion where you go to see those family members you have known for years, but don't get to see on a regular basis. You also get to me new faces that have come aboard during the past year

I have never not gone to my own family reunions because there was no karaoke machine or other things to keep me amused. Its all about the people, friendships, love and memories for many of us. Anything more is welcomed and appreciated, but not required.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Now this is one show that would love to see some nice SVX's representing our network. I'd love to go to this show... a little far for me but it is a pretty well known get together on the west coast here.

How about some of you guys from the Pac. Northwest put together a little mini meet at WCSS, show Subeman a good time (!), and show off some of your cars?
I will be attending the WCSS as far as I know. I will also be in my SVX. subeman let me know when you are going to be here in the Northwest.

Husky reading is always about the people but the issue is we are not getting people to attend like it used to be. Again, Moving venue wont just solve it. Why do you have a sour attitude about these things?

Subeman, I agree I witnessed how things ended up with the drives and etc. I did not by any means, mean to suggest no one has tried to help. I don't want to see reading wither way, I really enjoyed my times going and will go in the future (should we get in gear and arrange it).

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 07-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

If the people who think this meet at Reading sucks so bad then they need to step up. It is easy for people to come here to criticize and not do jack crap about it. It is also easy to criticize John about this yet he is the one who puts the effort into doing this year after year. Every time Ben, Dave, or myself have tried to do something (group drive, scavanger hunt, beer tour, car museum) it is like hearding cats to get people to go along with it, and yet people still complain there is nothing to do. Personally I like sitting around and BSing with people I only get to talk to on the internet...and this is coming from a guy who is not the most sociable person you ever met.

/soapbox
The main reason I go to any meets, besides the common interest in the SVX, is to meet with people I usually only get to see once a year. Now that I've moved to PA, I do get to see some of them a bit more often, but I wasn't coming because there was a ton of stuff to do. It was to have a good time. Not to say that we can't get things to do so that it's "more enjoyable" for some of the others.
A location change isn't all bad, but moving it to upstate New York will definitely mean less members. If you want to have a meet, have one in fall. (isn't that the best time for vineyard tours/winetasting anyway?-I really have no clue) and leave this meet in Spring, either where it is, or to a different location but in the same area.

One thing I noticed only because another member, is that some of the how-to's seem to not be the greatest in the world. Either with how they're done, or because of the pics, or lack there of. One most notably is the front axle replacement. I never am one to take pictures while working because I just want to get the stuff done as quick as possible.

So, I propose an idea. For certain repairs that are relatively common, but the how-to's aren't the greatest or don't exist, doing a maintenance meet of sorts for part of a day. Now, I don't propose doing this for free, but it would be at greatly cheaper rate than one would normally pay for this type of repair. There are always people at Reading with cameras and there could be excellent writeups done.

Also, another thing. The last couple years, a meet dinner has been at the last moment and while 2011 worked out pretty well, this past year did not for a few reasons. I think that we need to decide a location and date rather quickly, but also do it with intelligence and from there, call around to local restaurants to set up a group rate meal, or look into a catering possibility like in years earlier for Saturday evening. (years before I started attending)

I think that we need to create a thread and have everyone post the types of things they would like to do or have go on at a Reading meet. Not to be debated, but to compile a list of things that everyone WOULD LIKE to see. Obviously some things are out of reach for a "smaller" group, and some things just won't be able to happen. But if we can get ideas from a greater number of people, rather than the few that have posted here, with most being ones who come to meet with other friends, then perhaps we can go from there.

Quote:
Reading 10 was my first meet. I went because I wanted to meet plenty of other SVX owners. It was a bonus that the pace car and the Legacy B spec race car were there. I came to Reading 11 and 12 all the way from Wisconsin(950 miles each way) because I'd be able to chat with these people that I have met and become friends with. Now that I'm in Pennsylvania, this year was great that I'm just 5 hours away. This also means that I am in a position to try and help out. I did not this past year because I had a lot of catch-up to play with moving.

Last edited by 1986nate; 07-22-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Husky reading is always about the people but the issue is we are not getting people to attend like it used to be. Again, Moving venue wont just solve it. Why do you have a sour attitude about these things?

Subeman, I agree I witnessed how things ended up with the drives and etc. I did not by any means, mean to suggest no one has tried to help. I don't want to see reading wither way, I really enjoyed my times going and will go in the future (should we get in gear and arrange it).
I'm not sour about Reading. I was just responding in maybe a little more than necessarily brutally honest way to the "so there is your northern meet you want to go to so badly" comment. It isn't about a northern meet as much as it is about not letting the meet wither to the point of death. I get that people want to hang out more than anything else but the reality, as several have stated, is that the meet is dieing in its current incarnation. Maybe it's the location. Maybe it's the fact that there are fewer cars and, hence, fewer owners. Either way, there may not be a Reading meet for much longer if something doesn't change. I was just tossing out ideas that would generate interest among SVX owners. Combining the meet with another Subaru meet was another good idea. I don't care if the meet stays in PA. But if it stays SVX only, people might want to find a better PA location. Hershey isn't too far away, for example. And, if the people are the main attraction, does it matter where they meet? Does it have to stay in the same town or could it be moved to, say, Hershey and the people people would still be happy and the do stuff people would then also be happy?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 07-22-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

I agree with what the other Nate has said. A possible change of venue wouldn't be the worst thing in my opinion. This would require some serious effort from those involved because, the Holiday Inn has always put up with our "fun". I don't recall a year yet that they have not been happy with our stay.

The How to section is a mess and I would be more than willing to help fix that. I personally had issues following the front axle removal how to... its a wall of text and not super helpful.

We should get a thread going and get everyone to give their opinion regardless of who likes it or not. That thread should not be used deter others. We should invite those to suggest places and things to do.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I am all for part of one day being a maintenance meet. I am willing to pay normal rates (within reason) to have one of the SVX experts work on my car and there is plenty to do and probably more things to come. This year I had a bad bearing reveal itself after the drive down to Reading. Of course, who had a spare bearing and hub on them?

I am even willing to put off some stuff so long as it isn't too risky to do so. I was hoping to get down to Tom's this fall but that depends on his schedule and how many vacation
days I have left.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

I really don't think there are too many hotels that are going to put up with the crap we pull off ie: public drunkeness, open containers (that weren't bought from them), and parking lot car repairs.

One of the other big issues I see is money. Some have it and some don't. That dinner this past meet is a good example. There were people leaving b/c they simply didn't have the extra money to spend or maybe they are like me and a cheap a$$. In all seriousness though one of the things I look forward to is eating a crappy burger from McD's at the Reading meets (since the wife never lets me eat there any other time)

I know Hershey was brought up and I'm not sure why. If it is so we can go to the car museum..well we tried that and nobody wanted to go. If it is b/c of Hershey Park...well that is $55 a person I think (I was there last weekend but my tickets were company paid so I have no idea how much they are going for these days)

I really don't see it as only an SVX meet. Hell there were 2 Baja's, a Miata, a Tribecca, an XJR, and I saw a CR-Z at the last meet. I enjoy seeing the people and their cars...even if the car isn't a Subaru. I'm just as happy to see Tom in his M5 as I am to see John in his Polo.

If we went after the WRX/STi guys it makes me worry that it might attract a crowd that might not be as "mature" as we are. BOV's at mignight might really piss off the motel managemant and the bored cop.

ok that is my 2 cents for now.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:11 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I am all for part of one day being a maintenance meet. I am willing to pay normal rates (within reason) to have one of the SVX experts work on my car and there is plenty to do and probably more things to come. This year I had a bad bearing reveal itself after the drive down to Reading. Of course, who had a spare bearing and hub on them?
This is most definitely NOT something that would be done at a meet...

In fact, I won't even touch rear subaru bearings because of the known issues with hubs becoming untrue. I have to warranty my work. So I would not want to replace it, have to replace it again after 6 months, then replace it and the hub another 6 months later. (obviously I wouldn't be paying for the hub, but you get my drift)

Anyway, back on topic.
Matt, that is why I mentioned getting a group dinner organized a couple months in advance. I know we can't get numbers exact but if we can get an approximate number to give a place, we will get a much better rate. Had I not made some extra money selling some parts (namely a transmission) I would have been walking out right after a few of you. And I don't blame you guys for leaving. I believe Nancy has done the calling last minute to find a place the last couple years. Does anyone have a contact # for her that perhaps she might be willing to get something setup in advance? (just a thought and not trying to volunteer anyone if they don't want to be.)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Maybe it is me but there seems to be some really strong resistance to change. Denial is a good way to ignore impending issues and then be shocked by what is inevitable. John has already mentioned several times the decreasing attendance. He also mentioned that the hotel manager told him they lost money on our group this year. The only way to find out if there is a better location that will attract more people and still allow us to drink and work on cars is to look. In NY we have some state parks that are dry and some that allow alcohol. I'm not sure if PA has a similar arrangement. If so, we can meet there and just find a reasonably priced hotel nearby. Oh, and there are at least four nice activities to do in the town of Hershey and more nearby. Maybe we can get group rates.

What seems obvious is that this event will die if nothing is changed.

Nate, can you put together a list of repairs and maintenace you think can be done at a meet?

Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

actually I didn't go to the dinner place. A few of us went off on our own. I still paid $20 to eat though.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Nate, can you put together a list of repairs and maintenace you think can be done at a meet?
quickly off the top of my head...
Ball joints (the writeup is good on this one already)
front axles
valve cover gaskets (though the how-to for this is already pretty good-loss of oil could be an issue)
Spark plugs (again, I think there is already a good how-to on this and is easier to do if doing valve covers at the same time)
front strut assemblies (but would need an alignment afterward but would still be perfectly driveable)
Outer tie rod ends (alignment needed after as well, still driveable) Inner tie rods could be done at the same time
brake job-though I think anyone that can work on a car can do a brake job.
timing belt job (depends on disposal of lost fluids and I believe there is an okay writeup)
intake manifold removal w/intake runners (namely replacing vacuum lines and while it's off, knock sensors, etc that are all easier once it's off.) Seems most people want to pull just the intake manifold off seperate of the intake runners which is actually more difficult so a good writeup seems appropriate.

The potential for loss of fluid in any work can probably be crossed off the list since after all, we're not in an appropriate place for that type of work.
Also, it should be noted. This is OT's only vacation so I am about 99% sure that he does not want to be working on SVXes. Don't assume that anyone else is open to this possibility other than me. That being said, there may be others who are capable of doing some things not so mechanically minded as well. There's more than just mechanicals to think about. Interior speaker replacement, etc. I really don't go through the how-to's for obvious reason.

Also, if anyone else has seen any writeups that don't have pics or have any other suggestions, please feel free to post.

Last edited by 1986nate; 07-22-2012 at 07:08 PM.