Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Is my mechanic telling me the truth?

A month ago I got CE light on, had it checked and it came up knock sensor and 02 sensor 3 I believe (it's the 02 senor on the exhaust pipe after the engine), both were replaced at the Subaru Dealer. Anyway, after a week CE came back on, I took it back and he cleared the CE a week later it came back. I then left my car with them as I went on a holiday for two weeks with instruction to fix everything they could find wrong. Over $2000.00 later I picked up my car all was perfect...for 9 days and once again CE light same 02 senor. I'm thinking I have a defective 02 sensor, the mechanic now says it must be the MAF causing the 02 senor fault to show up and they want over $500.00 for the part. I still think they should try another 02 sensor before I shell out $500.00 for the MAF. My question, is the mechanic right and should I just go for the new MAF or should I insist on trying a new 02 sensor first. (anyone got a used MAF for sale?)

Oh ya to add to this, my transmission has now gone insane, works perfect sometimes and sometimes will not shift up into 4th gear, just rev's like crazy, it's going into the transmission shop on Friday.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 07-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Is my mechanic telling me the truth?

I highly doubt its the MAF. What brand O2 sensor did they install? It makes a huge difference if its not OEM, or at least a good import brand like NGK. There could also be an issue with the wiring... my advice is take it to someone else who knows what they are doing.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM

Sorry, you got screwed big time. Mechanics do not know the truth or how to find it... If you can't work out what your car needs with help from the people on this form, you have no chance.

That obscene bill had nothing to do with rectifying your car problem. Sanity dictates that if it did, the car would not still be doing the same thing.

So sorry...

Keith
Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM

An 02 sensor code seldom comes in conjunction with an actual 02 sensor failure. That code is like a "catch all" thing.

Keith
Old 07-06-2010, 04:19 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
An 02 sensor code seldom comes in conjunction with an actual 02 sensor failure. That code is like a "catch all" thing.

Keith
Codes 32 & 37 specifically indicate an actual sensor failure or a failure in associated wiring or connections. "Catch all" posts may provide satisfaction for writer, but are detrimental and cause confusion.

The sensor and wiring can be easily tested, provided that the technician involved knows what he is about.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Codes 32 & 37 specifically indicate an actual sensor failure or a failure in associated wiring or connections. "Catch all" posts may provide satisfaction for writer, but are detrimental and cause confusion.

The sensor and wiring can be easily tested, provided that the technician involved knows what he is about.
+1 If the code keeps popping up then something in the circuit related to the 02 sensor is not right. You can trace the wire through the harness yourself if your patient, looking for obvious signs of abuse/damage (melted wires, pinched bundles, etc.). And by the way, a good mechanic that knows the SVX well will be able to diagnose specific problems, regardless of him being a member to an internet forum.

You can replace the 02 sensor yourself quite easily, and unplug your battery for 30+ minutes to reset your ECU and clear your codes.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 07-06-2010, 06:02 PM

All work was done by Subaru by a master mechanic, I've used them for 15 years. For the $2000.00, they did a lot of work, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, new plugs ect. The 02 and knock senors(both OEM) were done a couple of months ago and the 02 kept popping up, that's when I got fed up and dropped it off with instructions to fix everything they could find that was wrong with it or needed replacing. When the 02 code came up again after the work was done, that's when the mechanic told me he believed the problem was the MAF and it was around $500.00. I have no symptoms of a bad MAF, when stopped you can't tell the car is even running without looking at the tach, no hesitation or stalling ever. No change in gas mileage, actually after the tuneup it's better than ever.

As I'm writing I just realized I can check it out myself, I'll just swap the MAF from the SVX I gave to my son with mine. I'll clear the CE and see if it comes back, if it does, I can rule out the MAF as the cause....should have thought of this much sooner...must be getting old.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens

Last edited by laserx; 07-06-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:06 PM

Might help to know what they did do for $2000. Also, might help to know the history of your exhaust. Your signature mentions you have a stebro set up, nice! pricey too. You also have headers as well. Is your Cat stebro? How long has this set up been on the car. Also if you have exhaust leaks it can throw codes for O2 sensors. so definitely want to check where the headers connect to the center pipe or CAT. Or even at the headers to the block. You are lucky in a way that you have the OBDII SVX but unlucky in the fact you have 3 O2 sensors.

My basic suggestion would be as follows:
Check wiring for recently replaced sensor (check brand too)
Check for leaks while inspecting wiring.
Check for potential blockage of the cat, a search should turn up the temp ranges you should see using a temp gun. High temps could cause early CAT failure.

start there...
Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
Might help to know what they did do for $2000. Also, might help to know the history of your exhaust. Your signature mentions you have a stebro set up, nice! pricey too. You also have headers as well. Is your Cat stebro? How long has this set up been on the car. Also if you have exhaust leaks it can throw codes for O2 sensors. so definitely want to check where the headers connect to the center pipe or CAT. Or even at the headers to the block. You are lucky in a way that you have the OBDII SVX but unlucky in the fact you have 3 O2 sensors.

My basic suggestion would be as follows:
Check wiring for recently replaced sensor (check brand too)
Check for leaks while inspecting wiring.
Check for potential blockage of the cat, a search should turn up the temp ranges you should see using a temp gun. High temps could cause early CAT failure.
start there...
I repeat, a fault code indicates that an actual sensor or associated circuit is faulty, not that an abnormal O2 measurement is being registered by the sensor. Leaks and or a cat problem should not cause a sensor fault code.

A visual inspection of things electrical will not necessarily disclose a fault. A proper continuity test is essential.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

One of my SVXs is running with a 1997 or 1998 (I think) Legacy MAF sensor out of an auto wrecker yard. Cost? No charge. The parts look identical and I can't tell any difference in the way it runs. I thought I'd try it before I shelled out $650.00 Canadian plus 12% tax for a new SVX MAF sensor. I saved myself that expense by trying it.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
I repeat, a fault code indicates that an actual sensor or associated circuit is faulty, not that an abnormal O2 measurement is being registered by the sensor. Leaks and or a cat problem should not cause a sensor fault code.

A visual inspection of things electrical will not necessarily disclose a fault. A proper continuity test is essential.
Unless you gleened more information than the rest of us i.e. the actual fault code then you don't know. He either saw the fault code himself, or was told the fault code by the mechanic who was unable to fix his car. We didn't see what the fault code was. It is no offense to him, but it is why I was asking for more details. IMO not enough information. Besides those checks weren't the end all be all... they were called a good place to start.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
Unless you gleened more information than the rest of us i.e. the actual fault code then you don't know. He either saw the fault code himself, or was told the fault code by the mechanic who was unable to fix his car. We didn't see what the fault code was. It is no offense to him, but it is why I was asking for more details. IMO not enough information. Besides those checks weren't the end all be all... they were called a good place to start.
In conjunction with others I do know, having gleAned what was originally posted. -----

“A month ago I got CE light on, had it checked and it came up knock sensor and 02 sensor 3 I believe (it's the 02 senor on the exhaust pipe after the engine), both were replaced at the Subaru Dealer. Anyway, after a week CE came back on, I took it back and he cleared the CE a week later it came back. I then left my car with them as I went on a holiday for two weeks with instruction to fix everything they could find wrong. Over $2000.00 later I picked up my car all was perfect...for 9 days and once again CE light same 02 senor. I'm thinking I have a defective 02 sensor,”

Old 07-09-2010, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=Trevor;651947]In conjunction with others I do know, having gleAned what was originally posted. -----

What was originally posted was incomplete without the codes. So only code listed that I could find was P1151 which could be alot of different things, however I would personally like to know the code that is coming up. I don't understand why the mechanic just cleared it the second time and didn't bother to check anything. Thats usually a 1 hr min. charge for labor or a diagnostic charge. Also it really depends on what they did for the other $2k worth of labor to know where they were messing with stuff. So what you should have gleAned is not enough info.

Subaru Specific Codes OBD-II OBD2 (1996 & newer)
P1130 Front oxygen sensor circuit malfunction (open circuit)
P1131 Front oxygen sensor circuit malfunction (short circuit)
P1134 Front oxygen (A/F) sensor microcomputer problem
P1137 Front oxygen (A/F) sensor circuit range/performance problem
P1139 Front oxygen (A/F) sensor #1 heater circuit performance/range problem
P1150 Front Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit High Input
P1151 Rear Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit High Input
P1151 OBD Trouble Code:
What does that mean?A Heated Exhaust Oxygen (HO2S) sensor indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.

SymptomsYou will likely not notice any drivability problems.

CausesA code P1151 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Electrical:
Short to VPWR in the harness or HO2S
Water in the harness connector
Open/shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged PCM
Fuel System:
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system
Induction System:
Air leaks after the MAF
Vacuum Leaks
PCV system:
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick
EGR System:
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR
Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Cam Timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)
Possible Solutions:See the above list of causes and go from there.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
In conjunction with others I do know, having gleAned what was originally posted. -----
Don't be so smug Trevor...
You don't know.

I get a 02 sensor code everyday on one of my SVX's and there is nothing wrong with the 02's or their circuits. I get no other codes. I would tell you why, but you are too good that everything that is discovered, you claim to have discovered it. No one else on this form does that. The rest of us just try to help out.

A person that is so smug and so smart that they can no longer learn anything is far from intelligent. Because it hasn't happened to you, you pretend you really understand everything about the subject, and it can't be right.
Times when I think there could possibly be hope for you, you end up making an burro out of yourself... Think about it.

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 07-09-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserx View Post
A month ago I got CE light on, had it checked and it came up knock sensor and 02 sensor 3 I believe (it's the 02 senor on the exhaust pipe after the engine), both were replaced at the Subaru Dealer. Anyway, after a week CE came back on, I took it back and he cleared the CE a week later it came back. I then left my car with them as I went on a holiday for two weeks with instruction to fix everything they could find wrong. Over $2000.00 later I picked up my car all was perfect...for 9 days and once again CE light same 02 senor. I'm thinking I have a defective 02 sensor, the mechanic now says it must be the MAF causing the 02 senor fault to show up and they want over $500.00 for the part. I still think they should try another 02 sensor before I shell out $500.00 for the MAF. My question, is the mechanic right and should I just go for the new MAF or should I insist on trying a new 02 sensor first. (anyone got a used MAF for sale?)

Oh ya to add to this, my transmission has now gone insane, works perfect sometimes and sometimes will not shift up into 4th gear, just rev's like crazy, it's going into the transmission shop on Friday.
This was on the 96?? You stated that the tech changed 2 02 sensors. Problem is, there are 3 in the OBDII system. The third is above the rear end of the catalytic converter. Ask the tech for the exact code which is reoccurring. I vaguely remember the rear 02 sensor description made me want to believe it was the left front.

Tom