How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Oil

Its a wonder what a little 10w-40 will do to prevent rust. I use it all over the back underside of my brat. Hee hee.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:18 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
My little red wagon leaks more oil than the valdez...
Awww...I'll fix yer little red wagon
Old 08-18-2002, 07:52 PM
I'm just sayin'..........

Thanks to everyone for your responses to my questions regarding the oil leak. I've been on vacation and been away from the board for a while.

We vacationed in Rehoboth, De and I figured there'd be no SVX's there.....WRONG!! I spotted a Claret one on Tuesday and a black one on Wednesday.

Ben,

Sarabeth is a 5 spd. The weird thing about the tapping is that it hasn't been doing it lately. I'm going to change the oil this week. The oil leak is rather odd as well. It doesn't always leak, but i can sometimes smell it when I'm at a standstill. If it's on a level surface, it doesn't appear to leak. If it's angled, it leaks from the front of the engine. I'm hoping it's a loose filter?

I'll have to look for a copy of how to keep subies alive, as I'm sure I'll need it with two of them....lol....

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 08-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If you can find a copy of that I'd be surprised - it has been on the wanted list for a while at used book sites.
I think there are enough people here with experience on the older models that most questions you'd ask could get answered.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:59 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LagunaBluebyU

Sarabeth is a 5 spd. The weird thing about the tapping is that it hasn't been doing it lately. I'm going to change the oil this week. The oil leak is rather odd as well. It doesn't always leak, but i can sometimes smell it when I'm at a standstill. If it's on a level surface, it doesn't appear to leak. If it's angled, it leaks from the front of the engine. I'm hoping it's a loose filter?
It's probably the front crank seal, as everyone has suggested, but could be the oil pump or cam seals to, if I torn into it, I'd replace both cam seals and the crank seal, and both timing belts (a tip on the timing belts, you install the rear belt,then turn the engine 360 deg. and then you install the other belt to put it in time, why Subaru did this is beyond me but I've know 3-4 people pick these cars up for a couple hundred bucks when they can't get them back in time and think they've got a bent valve or something, when it's really just out of time)

All 3 seals should be less than $20, a new Subaru Oil Pump is about $120 (don't get a rebuilt one at a parts place)if you htink you need one.
Since it's stopped pecking, it probably just needed to be run some, I wouldn't replace it unless the pecking comes back.

If it is the seals leaking, it will pool up inside the timing belt cover, and it would depend on how it was parked as to weather or not it would spill out of the cover.

Sorry I didn't get to this quicker, but I've been busy as of late
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"