How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-30-2002, 07:01 AM

Smile Greetings from new SVX owner in NJ

Hello everyone,

About a month ago I stopped to look at a silver 92 SVX for sale on a front lawn in my home town of High Bridge NJ. It had too many miles for my daily commute but I found this and other websites, and began the investigative process. A week later I became the VERY proud owner of an Ebony Mica 97 LSI with 53k miles purchased from Welsh Subaru in PA.

Needless to say that I am completely in awe of this car. My previous commuter was a 95 Legacy LS which introduced me to Subies and "the beauty of all wheel drive". Actually I have owned multiple AWD vehicles (Toyota Tercel 4wd, Nissan Stanza 4wd) since we live in hilly rural NJ, on a private road with a pitch steep enough to rival most NJ ski areas. The Legacy is now my wife's daily driver (her 89 Mitsubishi Montero's smoking problem led it to an early grave). We also have a 92 Ford Aerostar AWD which is the family bus.

My first experience with rare cars was a 76 Renault 17 Gordini, followed by a 79 purchased by my then fiancee and current wife. The second one died when I crashed it into the back of a snow plow abandoned by the DOT in the left lane of route 22 in the middle of the night. Those cars may have actually been rarer than the SVX but definitely not as nice.

Anyway, enough introductions. I love the SVX and plan on keeping it for many years. I did get a 5 year/60k warranty for it so I can sleep better not worrying about the tranny and bearing issues.

I do have two small questions:

Why was the power light eliminated and tire size changed for the 97 model?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

"Faster, faster, till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"
Old 07-30-2002, 07:27 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Greetings from new SVX owner in NJ

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski

Why was the power light eliminated and tire size changed for the 97 model?
The answers to your questions are "Yes" and "Yes"

-Mike (glad i could be of help.)
Old 07-30-2002, 08:47 AM
Network Design Administrator

He didnt ask IF it was removed, but WHY... and as for those... I dont know... sorry
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:10 AM

welcome NJ boy!

highbridge is not that far from me.....

there are quite a few svxers in the area, around 10, we could have our own meet...

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:08 AM

Yes, there is a silver one in High Bridge on Cregar Road (for sale)and I have seen a young guy driving a pearly a couple of times. Last Saturday I saw him on route 31 coming out of Clinton by the old ShopRite. A couple of weeks ago I saw him driving through HB so he may be from Lebanon or Califon.

I saw your post trying to organize a meet on Saturday and was disappointed that it did not work out. I was having a little trouble leaving messages so I could not offer my support. I see that Reading IV isn't until April so it would be great to organize something before.

How about something in the fall?
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, there is a silver one in High Bridge on Cregar Road (for sale)and I have seen a young guy driving a pearly a couple of times. Last Saturday I saw him on route 31 coming out of Clinton by the old ShopRite. A couple of weeks ago I saw him driving through HB so he may be from Lebanon or Califon.

I saw your post trying to organize a meet on Saturday and was disappointed that it did not work out. I was having a little trouble leaving messages so I could not offer my support. I see that Reading IV isn't until April so it would be great to organize something before.

How about something in the fall?
did the pearlie have a spoiler or not, if not, that was my friend, John, if it had one, it was probably my other friend John..lol. they are both in the same area. the younger John lives in Califon.

fall sounds great! would be a great time for it, not so hot! lemme know what is going on with it. we just had a mini meet in Lancaster, PA and up in Ledgewood, NJ. i am up for any local mini meet.

Kelli

ps, do you know where Island Drag is on Route 46, by Hackettstown?
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:08 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX
He didnt ask IF it was removed, but WHY... and as for those... I dont know... sorry
Haha oh. Sorry. I dont know either. hehe.

M
Old 07-30-2002, 11:13 AM

It did not have a spoiler so it must have been "younger John". We did exchange waves and I am sure that we will "run into each other" again.

No, I do not know where or what Island Drag is but I do get into Hackettstown occasionally.

A fall meet does sound good. We could even meet at my house. I have a long driveway and my mesquite smoked chicken is "world famous" in High Bridge.
98 Outback 180k
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:20 AM
"high" in Colorado

Smile Welcome!

Welcome Matt!
You are at the right place to learn all about your car! There are alot of good people in this club; I found out first hand at the 10th Anniversary Meet!
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 07-30-2002, 11:21 AM

Quote:
It did not have a spoiler so it must have been "younger John". We did exchange waves and I am sure that we will "run into each other" again.

No, I do not know where or what Island Drag is but I do get into Hackettstown occasionally.

A fall meet does sound good. We could even meet at my house. I have a long driveway and my mesquite smoked chicken is "world famous" in High Bridge.

well, John is a nice kid. i work with his mom at hackettstown hospital. if you ever want to take your car for a 1/4 mile spin, let me know, street cars race every friday there, i went once and had 2 other svxers meet me there, so i don't think they would mind doing it again. two of us did ours, my timing belt was off a bit, so it effected my time, but now it is all good. one cooler night we should go there, it would be fun.

"world famous in High Bridge" i won't say anything...lol when i get my fall break from college, we should do it then, so that way i don't have that to worry about it. when i start sept 4rth, i will figure out when would be good for me. there is a car show on sat, Funkmaster Flex (if you know who that is...lol) is going to be there, $30 per person to get in, i might be there with my car for show, but i don't know yet... gotta see what else is going down.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 07-30-2002, 11:27 AM

Thanks Tom,

I have been reading posts for about two weeks and I already feel part of the family. I wish I could have made the 10th Anniversary meet but I had just gotten back from a 10 day vacation and it just wasn't in the cards.

Judging from the pictures and video, the meet was quite a blast.
98 Outback 180k
Old 07-30-2002, 12:00 PM
SVXCAPE

welcome

I just recently joined the club myself as a matter of fact my car just arrived from being shipped from california, I am going to go pick it up and drive it for the fist time today!!! anyway welcome aboard glad to have ya !!!
Old 07-30-2002, 12:11 PM

Hi SVXCAPE,

It looks like we have SVXs and skiing in common. I have never skied in Winter Park but have been to Vail and A-Basin. I also spent a winter in Lake Tahoe when I finished school and I get out to Utah on my way to Texas business trips in the winter.

Congrats on the new SVX. Did you drive it before buing it?

I am so hooked on these cars that I cannot drive anything else. I hope that it passes because I am racking up big miles on mine and I need to stick to the 12k/yr rate to maximize my warranty.
98 Outback 180k
Old 07-30-2002, 01:40 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
I am so hooked on these cars that I cannot drive anything else.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Another addict!

Matt, welcome to the asylum. YOU'RE hooked? I'll be in your area on Saturday to pick up my 2nd (What was I thinking?!?!?!) and driving it back to KY. I've had my current SVX for three years. You'd think I'd be tired of it by now. Truth is, I'm JUST as excited about picking up my 2nd as I was about getting my first. Golly, I think I need therapy!!!

Anywho -- welcome Matt, hope to meet you at Reading IV!!!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-31-2002, 05:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Hello Matt

Welcome, and congrats on landing a 'new' '97.

Mine is also Ebony Mica LSI with 73K miles on it now. I bought it a while back with only 36K. I also bought the 5 year 60K (additional) warrentee to be covered until I hit a whopping 96K miles. It was pricey, but it's already paid for itself.

So far I've needed the tranny cooler hose replaced (it was dislogdged thanks to the front-end I later found out it was in) and a oil pump seal (for which I opted for a new t-belt at that time). I also did the 60K tune-up at that time.

I have a bearing or CV joint rumble, but it only makes noise above 90mph so the dealer doesn't think it's time yet - besides they can't diagnose the problem at that speed. So I spend as much time as possible getting it to 'rumble' so I can wear it out before my 96K comes due.

Also, when I bought it the driver's side window switch was dead so they replaced that.

Yup I have no power light and new tires. I suspect the power light was a liability for them because it really doesn't have anything to do with power. They should have made it a Torque Light for all that really happends. Really though I have no idea why they bothered on the LAST YEAR....

This is a WONDERFULLY GREAT group of like minded people and I look forward to seeing more at the next meet. I've made it to the First and Second New England meets and had a great time with this great group. Maybe I can get my sorry 'butt' out to the Reading meet this year!