Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-15-2005, 07:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Exclamation How many have done 4.44 4EAT?

Hey guys,

How many on our network have done 4.44 4EAT auto converstionf rom stock?

How reliable or good a 4.44 4EAT can handle our torque and engine?

Which one wil you guys recommend as economical and ok to perform the conversion?

1) 4.44 4EAT
2) 4.44 5MT

svxfiles (Tom) has suggested me to go for 4.44 4EAT (considering my present situation).
silverspear (Dan) is suggesting to go for 4.44 5MT.

I want to know wht all otehr guys will suggest....

-Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 06-15-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I suggest the 5MT rather than the 4EAT....I never trust a 4 cyl automatic tranny on a 6cyl engine. if it was a manual, i think it can handle more...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:26 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Don't do a 4.444 5MT swap. The gearing is way too low for an SVX. The WRX 5MT has the best gearing if you like to keep the engine rpms low, and the 4.11 trannies will give you a slightly more engine rpms and so slightly more torque.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Don't do a 4.444 5MT swap. The gearing is way too low for an SVX. The WRX 5MT has the best gearing if you like to keep the engine rpms low, and the 4.11 trannies will give you a slightly more engine rpms and so slightly more torque.
Hmm contradiction!!!???, many members are suggesteing to go for 4.44 5MT (for better acceleration and if i am like racing the car) and offcourse 4.11 is also good one.

To be honest and frankly speaking, I am an aggressive driver. So guys plz suggest me which one is a good one (considering all the facts like heat produced, engine and torque handling, shifts performance, power, rpms and longivity etc).. and offcourse I love manual shifting to themax. I can wait still more time before taking a decision.

-Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 06-15-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko

Honestly from my understanding the 4.11 and 4.44 have very similar low gear rations but the 4.11 has a higher final drive (better cruising). Without having tested both though I would bet that the 4.11 would run virtually the same lap times as a 4.44. The 4.44 you must remember will probably have issues at launch in most autoxing and club racing where wheel size is limited etc. Keep in mind I can spin the front tires on our FWD racer with 225 Kumho Victoracers on it through 2nd w/o an issue from launch and that is with a 3.73.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:56 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
To be honest and frankly speaking, I am an aggressive driver. So guys plz suggest me which one is a good one (considering all the facts like heat produced, engine and torque handling, shifts performance, power, rpms and longivity etc).. and offcourse I love manual shifting to themax. I can wait still more time before taking a decision.

-Pavan.
ok, you made me look at the gear ratios available. The only 4.444 5MT on a USDM Subaru is on the Forester XT. It has the exact same gear ratios as the WRX, but with the 4.444 final drive instead of the 3.90 final drive. Turns out that the overall Forester XT gearing (combining the gear ratios and the final drive) is very similar to the gearing on most all of the 4.111 USDM trannies which have slightly lower gear ratios. So, there is only a minor difference in overall gearing between the USDM 4.444 tranny and most any of the USDM 4.11 trannys. The more important difference is that the Forester XT tranny is stronger than the 4.111 trannys. It has the widened 1st and 2nd gear, and the 4.44 final drive takes some stress of the gears.

So, I guess the USDM 4.44 tranny is a good choice if you want to drive more spirited.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 06-15-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I love manual shifting to themax. I can wait still more time before taking a decision.

-Pavan.
Pav,
I think you already have the answer to what you WANT to do (which is a 5spd) and are now just trying to decide what you CAN do (as a 4eat would be eaiser, since you are having a hard time finding help) or can AFFORD to do (again 4eat may be cheaper)
Given what you WANT to do, I'd personaly use the F-XT tranny (which Im considering as an option if/when the time comes). This is of course dependent on cost vs available $$ (wrx tranny might be cheaper and eaiser to find)
Old 06-15-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
Pav,
I think you already have the answer to what you WANT to do (which is a 5spd) and are now just trying to decide what you CAN do (as a 4eat would be eaiser, since you are having a hard time finding help) or can AFFORD to do (again 4eat may be cheaper)
Given what you WANT to do, I'd personaly use the F-XT tranny (which Im considering as an option if/when the time comes). This is of course dependent on cost vs available $$ (wrx tranny might be cheaper and eaiser to find)
Hi Rotorflyr,

Good to hear from you. Yeah I would like to have a 5MT badly, but anyway in anything in this world money decides the final. But on thinking I dont want to waste $1.1k - $1.3k on auto now and then again spend around $1.5k on manual later.

The actual thing is I am leaving to seattle on Jul 4 permanantly. So, I am not able to decide wht to do with my car at present. .

-Pavan.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:04 PM
no limitation as limitation

the 4.44 set cost me 650$

not only do i beat my car like it owes me money but tom(svxfiles) has a supercharger on his 4.44. judging by how he drove with me in the car it seems that we have similar driving styles.

chikebob had 4.11's in his car but blew them out at the track, thats why i did 4.44's.

my understanding of the 4.11/4.44 5mt is that its an insane amount of shifting. with the 4eat my car starts in 2nd gear most of the time.

and yes, if its wet on the roads i can do a 4 wheel burnout but on a dry road i only get a little chirp at lunch and then the 4wd kicks in and its GO TIME.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
the 4.44 set cost me 650$

not only do i beat my car like it owes me money but tom(svxfiles) has a supercharger on his 4.44. judging by how he drove with me in the car it seems that we have similar driving styles.

chikebob had 4.11's in his car but blew them out at the track, thats why i did 4.44's.

my understanding of the 4.11/4.44 5mt is that its an insane amount of shifting. with the 4eat my car starts in 2nd gear most of the time.

and yes, if its wet on the roads i can do a 4 wheel burnout but on a dry road i only get a little chirp at lunch and then the 4wd kicks in and its GO TIME.
yep svxfiles(Tom) too told me th same-

4.44 4EAT - $500
Rear Differential - $100

and all together including labor he told me tht it will cost me $1100. I have also told him tht i can also help on doing th installation and i am supposed to call him today, but i am waiting for my cat to get from the mechanic.

-pavan
Old 06-15-2005, 06:36 PM

So only 2 people have done this conversion (4.44 4EAT) and had no problems no matter how their driving was.

Any more to the list......?

-Pavan.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:11 PM
no limitation as limitation

chicabob curently has 4.44's and tom(svxfiles) has them on two cars (that i know of).

you should still get a filter and a tranny cooler no matter how tame or insane your driving. the svx is a heavy car and the cooler is a nice assurence.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Hi Rotorflyr,
thinking I dont want to waste $1.1k - $1.3k on auto now and then again spend around $1.5k on manual later.
-Pavan.
Well if you can do a 5spd now for $1.5k and another auto is going to run $1.1-$1.3k, why not do the 5spd now for very little more money???
If time is the biggest factor (with you leaving for CA by 7/4, then bite the bullet and do the auto now, and if/when it goes again, do the 5spd)
Old 06-15-2005, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
Well if you can do a 5spd now for $1.5k and another auto is going to run $1.1-$1.3k, why not do the 5spd now for very little more money???
If time is the biggest factor (with you leaving for CA by 7/4, then bite the bullet and do the auto now, and if/when it goes again, do the 5spd)
tha main problem is, i graduated recently on jun11. So i am not yet sure of my job. I wish I can get a job somewhere overhere and work on my car for 5MT along with svxfiles, but my present situation is undecided.

I am not able to decide upon one thing. I like either 4.44 auto or 4.44 5MT, I personally love MT, but not a compulsory.

-Pavan.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:31 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
So only 2 people have done this conversion (4.44 4EAT) and had no problems no matter how their driving was.

Any more to the list......?

-Pavan.
4.11 4EAT:

1) SVX-FF- the first 4.11, 92 TEAL
2) Lee- 4.11, 92 BLACK
3) Thasian1- 4.11 (fwd), 94 RED
4) Freak Customs- 4.11, ??
5) labellavita- ?, ??
6) TE1221- 4.11, 92 SILVER
7) ChikeTKD- 4.11s at first
8) Uncamitze-4.11s

4.44 4EAT: