How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-02-2001, 04:09 PM
dart

Door locks/alarm problems

Tried programming the security system ('92 LS-L) but can push the security button til the cows come home (tried varying rate of push) and it will not enter programming mode. What aftermarket alarm is a good substitute? The power door locks work in unison; I can pull the drivers side up or down and the passenger side corresponds as well as lock/unlock both doors from the drivers door w/key. However the power door lock switch above the window controls does not lock or unlock the doors. Can the single switch be replaced or is it part of the window buttons and replaced as a unit? Thanks for any replies..
Old 12-02-2001, 06:06 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Post Re: Door locks/alarm problems

Quote:
Originally posted by dart
The power door locks work in unison; I can pull the drivers side up or down and the passenger side corresponds as well as lock/unlock both doors from the drivers door w/key. However the power door lock switch above the window controls does not lock or unlock the doors. Can the single switch be replaced or is it part of the window buttons and replaced as a unit? Thanks for any replies..

Can't help you with the alarm question because I never had a problem with mine.I can help with your other questions. Your locks are working the way they are supposed to.There is no separate switch for them. The switch you are referring to locks out the power windows so that only the driver can control them. On the later year models they added a lock switch on the console.
Old 12-02-2001, 06:10 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Door locks/alarm problems

Quote:
Tried programming the security system ('92 LS-L) but can push the security button til the cows come home (tried varying rate of push) and it will not enter programming mode. What aftermarket alarm is a good substitute? The power door locks work in unison; I can pull the drivers side up or down and the passenger side corresponds as well as lock/unlock both doors from the drivers door w/key. However the power door lock switch above the window controls does not lock or unlock the doors. Can the single switch be replaced or is it part of the window buttons and replaced as a unit? Thanks for any replies..
Matt,
The lock switch on the window switch console is only for locking out the windows. If you push the lock switch, you have blocked control of the windows for all of your passengers. They did not put a power lock switch for the doors in the SVX until 1994 and it is located by the e-brake handle on the console.

I don't know about aftermarket alarms. My alarm was doing the same thing as yours after I bought the car. I got a used module and replaced it, and all is well.

I do believe that there are others here who can help you with the A/M alarm though.

Good luck

Randy
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-02-2001, 06:15 PM
dart

Re: Re: Door locks/alarm problems

Quote:
Originally posted by nubsjr

Can't help you with the alarm question because I never had a problem with mine.I can help with your other questions. Your locks are working the way they are supposed to.There is no separate switch for them. The switch you are referring to locks out the power windows so that only the driver can control them. On the later year models they added a lock switch on the console.
Thanks for the info

No wonder the rest of the windows quit working the other day

Last edited by dart; 12-02-2001 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2001, 06:17 PM
dart

Re: Re: Door locks/alarm problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Matt,
The lock switch on the window switch console is only for locking out the windows. If you push the lock switch, you have blocked control of the windows for all of your passengers. They did not put a power lock switch for the doors in the SVX until 1994 and it is located by the e-brake handle on the console.

I don't know about aftermarket alarms. My alarm was doing the same thing as yours after I bought the car. I got a used module and replaced it, and all is well.

I do believe that there are others here who can help you with the A/M alarm though.

Good luck

Randy
Thanks for the info Now the hunt begins for a used module
Old 12-02-2001, 06:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Door locks/alarm problems

Quote:

Thanks for the info Now the hunt begins for a used module
A new module is 233 and change plus shipping at subaruparts.com

https://ssl.autocenter.net/webparts/...g_SVX_280.html
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-02-2001, 08:19 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
You can also check out www.bulldogsecurity.com . This is the company that makes the remote start devices that you can buy at Sam's and WalMart for $40-$50. I would go to the website first and snoop around if you want to keep alarm function. If your OEM module is bad you could replace it with a Bulldog system that includes an alarm.

I've been using their remote start system for a couple years now and it's been flawless. It will also lock/unlock doors and has an unused third channel for whatever your heart desires.

Beav
Old 12-02-2001, 08:53 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
You can also check out www.bulldogsecurity.com . This is the company that makes the remote start devices that you can buy at Sam's and WalMart for $40-$50. I would go to the website first and snoop around if you want to keep alarm function. If your OEM module is bad you could replace it with a Bulldog system that includes an alarm.

I've been using their remote start system for a couple years now and it's been flawless. It will also lock/unlock doors and has an unused third channel for whatever your heart desires.

Beav
Thanks for the link and the info Beav. Might be time to break out the DMM..
Old 12-02-2001, 08:54 PM
dart

Re: Re: Re: Re: Door locks/alarm problems

Quote:

A new module is 233 and change plus shipping at subaruparts.com

https://ssl.autocenter.net/webparts/...g_SVX_280.html
Thanks Randy
Old 12-03-2001, 08:17 PM

Security you want...Security I got!!....

If you are looking for an aftermarket alarm for your car, check out my website- http://www.whitefoxcctv.com I have a few models to choose from, including remote starters and pager units. Enter the "Automotive security section." Any questions contact me I will be glad to help

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 12-08-2001, 10:50 AM
dart

Re: Security you want...Security I got!!....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Pwrlite
If you are looking for an aftermarket alarm for your car, check out my website- http://www.whitefoxcctv.com I have a few models to choose from, including remote starters and pager units. Enter the "Automotive security section." Any questions contact me I will be glad to help

Thanks for the info Clive I'm going to try to clean the contacts
and wave some chicken bones over the module and see what happens. If I can't get it to work the products I saw on your excellent website would certainly fit the bill
Old 12-08-2001, 03:04 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Security you want...Security I got!!....

Quote:

Thanks for the info Clive I'm going to try to clean the contacts
and wave some chicken bones over the module and see what happens. If I can't get it to work the products I saw on your excellent website would certainly fit the bill
Dart, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a diagram of the component parts and their locations. I tried several times last night and this morning to upload to the network with no success. E-mail me at trspit80@aol.com.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-08-2001, 04:39 PM

Matt,
Thanks for taking a look at my website, I hope everything works out for you....Good Luck!

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 12-08-2001, 07:18 PM
dart

Re: Re: Re: Security you want...Security I got!!....

Quote:
[B]

Dart, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a diagram of the component parts and their locations.
Thanks, that'd be great