Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 12-01-2003, 06:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Good price on tires (Sydney)

Thanks to Blake for this tip.

Bridgestone at Artarmon have a special on Firestone SZ50 225/50R16 tires that fit the SVX.

I had two put on the rear on Saturday - $159.00 each (fitted and balanced) and then a $5 rebate if you are an NRMA member.

Very helpful, great staff!

Contact number is 9436-1022 and ask for Sam.

Cheers

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 12-02-2003, 04:51 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
?<caron>?Otlue]Sounds Good
But remember, with a constant 4 wheel drive, you should try to keep all the wheel diameters as close as possible (even wear) to save wear and tear on the centre diff
Nice chunky looking tire, good for OFF ROAD
Here's some technical info...
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/...reads/sz50.asp

Arthur.[/COLOR]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firestone-firehawk-sz50-lar.jpg (17.5 KB, 171 views)
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 12-02-2003, 02:29 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Tyre speed rating.

Don't know what it says on your door jam, but the one on my 95 model says, that the tyres fitted to this car should not be less than Z rating.

Insurance Co's can get a bit reluctant to pay on a non compliance car.

Do the early models have a lower speed rating
i
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:35 PM

Blake recommended them and said that they were fine and, I think, within the range of tires that could be used....*&^*&^*& I will have to check that now.

As for the AWD and constant diameter, I think the front's were pretty new when I bought it but will check

*worried now*

James

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 12-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Green1995SVX

James-

In my experiance working for a Subaru dealer, I must direct you to make sure you have a matching set of 4 tires. Your tires should be all of same brand, model, size, and tred pattern. The tredwear should also be nearly identical. Subaru recommends that you measure the circumference of the exterior of the tire. If the difference between any two tires is more than 1/4" the tires should be replaced. I've seen some transmissions, especially 4eat's that have been seriously harmed by mismatched tires.

Although adding the other two tires seems like a great expense now, it's nothing compared to the damage that could be caused to your transmission.

Best of luck to you, James!

Mike
Old 12-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
James-

In my experiance working for a Subaru dealer, I must direct you to make sure you have a matching set of 4 tires. Your tires should be all of same brand, model, size, and tred pattern. The tredwear should also be nearly identical. Subaru recommends that you measure the circumference of the exterior of the tire. If the difference between any two tires is more than 1/4" the tires should be replaced. I've seen some transmissions, especially 4eat's that have been seriously harmed by mismatched tires.

Although adding the other two tires seems like a great expense now, it's nothing compared to the damage that could be caused to your transmission.

Best of luck to you, James!

Mike
Hi Mike good to see you downunder . What you say is right, but, it does not apply to the AWD that we have, to the same extent. The clutch in your model is the only link between the front and back wheels, In that role it feels every bit of mismatch, that the wheel difference produces.

The AWD that we have, has gears that form the link between the front and back wheels, to absorb the difference in the wheels speed. The clutch only takes over when there is about 20% difference in rotation. That said I would not dream of replacing just two tyres only.

Harvey.

Old 12-02-2003, 06:04 PM

I've got the heeby jeebies big time now!!

That was why I was not concerned (initially) in the belief that I had read somewhere about the different tranmissions/AWD systems and how ours would not be as affected....hmm...did 350km on the new tires - any prospect of damage???

Old 12-02-2003, 06:06 PM
Financial Contributing Supporter
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Firestone SZ50 tyre

Hi there all,

Just on the tyres issue. I went through the same process a couple of years ago, replacing my tyres, and thought I needed to replace the ZR rated Michelins with another ZR rated tyre. I called NRMA (my insurer at the time) and, via the technical advice section, I was advised that NRMA are happy with anything rated H or above. The following link gives the various speed ratings and the corresponding speeds.
http://www.nt.gov.au/ipe/dtw/publica...03_2003-02.pdf

The Firestone SZ50 on James' car is a 225/50R16 92V as per the below link.

The tyre is speed rated "V" for 240kph or 150mph. This is higher than the top spped anyway, and far inexcess of the sppeds I top at.

The tyre is a very good tyre for the car. As far as I have noticed, very few drivers are running "Z" rated tyres after replacing the originals. I am cofident the US snow tyres would not be rates for 150mph.

I thought the tyre, for the money, is a very good buy. And as I run the same tread pattern, and am happy with, I thought I would recommend it.

Just my 2 cents worth on the tyre issue.

Thanks,

Blake
Old 12-02-2003, 06:14 PM

My diff's are being ground to metal shards; my tires are going to fail at speed, woe is me

Old 12-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Firestone SZ50 tyre

Quote:
Originally posted by moyadon
Hi there all,

Just on the tyres issue. I went through the same process a couple of years ago, replacing my tyres, and thought I needed to replace the ZR rated Michelins with another ZR rated tyre. I called NRMA (my insurer at the time) and, via the technical advice section, I was advised that NRMA are happy with anything rated H or above. The following link gives the various speed ratings and the corresponding speeds.
http://www.nt.gov.au/ipe/dtw/publica...03_2003-02.pdf

The Firestone SZ50 on James' car is a 225/50R16 92V as per the below link.

The tyre is speed rated "V" for 240kph or 150mph. This is higher than the top spped anyway, and far inexcess of the sppeds I top at.

The tyre is a very good tyre for the car. As far as I have noticed, very few drivers are running "Z" rated tyres after replacing the originals. I am cofident the US snow tyres would not be rates for 150mph.

I thought the tyre, for the money, is a very good buy. And as I run the same tread pattern, and am happy with, I thought I would recommend it.

Just my 2 cents worth on the tyre issue.

Thanks,

Blake

Gid'ay Blake, sorry I was not on the run on Sunday, would have loved to have another run around the hills with you all. I 'll try for the next, before James is deported.

I know what you are saying about the tyre speed rating and the NRMA. I was severely screwed by an Insurance Co when I had my accident and lost my arm. So I am probably biased in this respect.

I can see an scenario of driving out west, a tyre is damaged, car goes off the road, is wrecked. Insurance Co says you were driving at a speed higher that the V or H rating was designed for. Your fault, so sad, good bye. They are happy to take the money, but when it comes to paying, they have more outs that a revolving door.

The Z speed rating is for sustained speeds of 240K up. This car can sustain these speeds. Though you would have to go to the Northern Territory to legally do it. I am not going to admit that I have drive at these speeds, but. I can a sure you it is able to sustain it.

I am a long time bike rider, and have learnt that, tyres are your only grip on reality. Tyres are cheap, death has no options.

All the best mate, see you soon.
Harvey.

Old 12-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Financial Contributing Supporter
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the response. I always ask James how you are going, it has been a long while since the lovely day down South that time.

I have not had the insurance experiences you have, so hence the slighly different view of the subject.

We will have to do a run up north soon, James hinted at the prospect. So who knows...

Warmest regards,

Blake
Old 12-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by moyadon
Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the response. I always ask James how you are going, it has been a long while since the lovely day down South that time.

I have not had the insurance experiences you have, so hence the slighly different view of the subject.

We will have to do a run up north soon, James hinted at the prospect. So who knows...

Warmest regards,

Blake
A top run up here is from Grafton up the Gwydir Hwy to Armidale, party, then down the Oxley Hwy back to the coast. We used to do it on bikes up one day down the next. About 200 K of mountain twisties. Top run.

Just got to lookout for the fuggan cattle trucks.

Harvey.

Old 12-04-2003, 02:20 AM

Minced Diffs

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
My diff's are being ground to metal shards; my tires are going to fail at speed, woe is me

Now that you've wrecked the car (oh woe) you will have to drop the price on it. I'll give you AUD$2,000 or if you want to haggle I may go as high as NZD$2100. Hee, Hee .

Kenn
Old 12-04-2003, 02:59 PM

Re: Minced Diffs

Quote:
Originally posted by KennEls

Now that you've wrecked the car (oh woe) you will have to drop the price on it. I'll give you AUD$2,000 or if you want to haggle I may go as high as NZD$2100. Hee, Hee .

Kenn

SOLD!!!
....maybe when I loose my mind!! *laughing*

The front tires have minimal wear so not really sure that a huge difference would be made, would be different if fronts were really gone to the dogs

Old 12-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx

James

I have put on two new tyres due to pothole bursts. All the tyres were the same make, model etc, and not very worn. That was two years ago with no ill effects.

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=14276

You will see I have outlined a method of checking the diameters[radius, really] are all the same, and if not, minor adjustment with the air pressure should bring them all to the same level.

[This presumes you are using the same make, and you are not. There could be a difference in size between your tyres that air pressure will not adjust. If in doubt, go up with the air pressure not down. If you need more than a 10 lb differential in air, maybe put on 4 the same for safety.]

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: