Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-23-2001, 10:16 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Question Wheel bearing replacement

Okay please forgive my ignorance, but I just have a couple quick questions and figured several of you have experience/opinions on this subject.

I am well aware of the wheel bearing issue including having the replacement done right the first time. (the different grease, etc) Monday I went in to get my oil change and free check up at my local independent Suby shop. He told me I need a new right rear wheel bearing, and I have noticed the noise coming from back there. He quoted me $275 parts and labor and he brought up the issues before I even had a chance to quiz him on it. So I know it would be done right. This is an independent shop (all 3 techs that work there are ex-dealer with all the certifications and years of experience though) so I am assuming it should be cheaper than if I went to the dealer. How does this figure compare? I have read lots on this subject here before but don't recall ever seeing actual prices. How much is just the part itself, labor time, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

One more thing, it will probably be a couple weeks before I have the money for this. Fortunately, I can usually bicycle to work. But would there be any harm in driving the car with the bad bearing? Have I done any harm by driving on it this long?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2001, 10:51 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
The parts are quite expensive.

The labor depends on where you go.

Harm, I don't beleive so, just really really loud and annoying
Old 08-23-2001, 02:27 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by cocacola08
The parts are quite expensive.

The labor depends on where you go.

Harm, I don't beleive so, just really really loud and annoying

Yes, I can vouch for the loud and annoying part. It's funny though, before it was pointed out I didn't really notice it, I think it has just gradually gotten louder and now it is all I can hear. Well time to start a SVX repair fund I guess. 14 months and 15,000 miles without spending a cent on repairs, on a ten year old car with over 100K miles.... can't complain!
Old 08-23-2001, 03:06 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Bearing and inner and outer seals (right side only) will cost a total of 102.63 plus 10.26 shipping from subaruparts.com (they're virtually in your back yard, Titus Subaru in Tacoma). The book lists 1.5 hours per side for labor. Your independent dealer will likely buy from the local Dealership which will cost more in parts. I would think they wouldn't mind if you ordered the parts. Ask them exactly what they'll need, order from subaruparts.com, then, have the deal done.

PN's
Bearing Right 28016PA000
Inner Oil Seal, Right 28015PA010
Outer Oil Seal, RIght 28015PA000

Obviously, if they replace incidentals like the hub nut, grease cap, or other, it'll cost a little more. If you decide to order your own parts, and you need the other part numbers (they specify them), PM me and I'll get them for you.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 08-23-2001 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2001, 03:21 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
When my left side went bad I went ahead and bought parts for the other side and told them to check and see if it was bad and needed replaced, It ended up being "OK" so I have a right rear set sitting in the garage waiting for the thunderously load day when the other side goes bad....key word there being WHEN...

damn bearings, can't we just leave 'em off like the cats? J/K
Old 08-23-2001, 03:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I may be asking for trouble, but, in over 50K, I've not replaced a bearing (now, just watch, it'll start to go out just before Snowshoe Deaux!).
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-23-2001, 04:00 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Thanks Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Bearing and inner and outer seals (right side only) will cost a total of 102.63 plus 10.26 shipping from subaruparts.com (they're virtually in your back yard, Titus Subaru in Tacoma). The book lists 1.5 hours per side for labor. Your independent dealer will likely buy from the local Dealership which will cost more in parts. I would think they wouldn't mind if you ordered the parts. Ask them exactly what they'll need, order from subaruparts.com, then, have the deal done.

PN's
Bearing Right 28016PA000
Inner Oil Seal, Right 28015PA010
Outer Oil Seal, RIght 28015PA000

Obviously, if they replace incidentals like the hub nut, grease cap, or other, it'll cost a little more. If you decide to order your own parts, and you need the other part numbers (they specify them), PM me and I'll get them for you.
I had ordered from subaruparts.com before, and was thinking of checking them out. The numbers you gave me will help. I was going to order a few other things from them soon anyway, so I can just combine everything in an order and pay the $10 shipping once. (they did it for me last time) I'll take your advice and check with the shop though and see if they would prefer anything else be added to that. But it looks like if I order my own parts and it's 1.5 hrs labor, I should significantly cut down on that estimate. I'll PM you if I need any more help with the numbers. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2001, 06:59 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
The book lists 1.5 hours per side for labor.
You forgot the adds for ABS etc. It'll come out to 2.0-2.5 hours at least.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:19 PM
The Road Less Traveled

2.9 hours if my memory serves me correct going by the Chilton labour time book. The 1.5 hour in the book I think refers to the "regrease" of the bearing, which I wonder if it can be done effectively without removing the inner side. R&R rear bearing w/ABS is much higher than the 1.5 in the book.

My mechanic doesn't even bother looking it up anymore. He just gives the manual to me, I look it up, and pay him his rate.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Old 08-23-2001, 11:15 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Ah, yes. sorry. All those little "add ons."

As far as "re-packing" the bearings in the SVX. Don't even try.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-24-2001, 02:54 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Wheel bearing replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
Okay please forgive my ignorance, but I just have a couple quick questions and figured several of you have experience/opinions on this subject.

One more thing, it will probably be a couple weeks before I have the money for this. Fortunately, I can usually bicycle to work. But would there be any harm in driving the car with the bad bearing? Have I done any harm by driving on it this long?

Thanks!
Not being an alarmist, but, worst case scenario, if the bearing collapses totally, the wheel will fall off. Happened my parents once in a Renault 16.

The growling would have to be really bad for that to happen.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-25-2001, 10:18 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Wheel bearing replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver

I am well aware of the wheel bearing issue including having the replacement done right the first time. (the different grease, etc) Monday I went in to get my oil change and free check up at my local independent Suby shop. He told me I need a new right rear wheel bearing, and I have noticed the noise coming from back there. He quoted me $275 parts and labor and he brought up the issues before I even had a chance to quiz him on it. So I know it would be done right. This is an independent shop (all 3 techs that work there are ex-dealer with all the certifications and years of experience though) so I am assuming it should be cheaper than if I went to the dealer. How does this figure compare? I have read lots on this subject here before but don't recall ever seeing actual prices. How much is just the part itself, labor time, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I've had two replaced by the dealer $285 per bearing.