Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2003, 07:52 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

Slight blindspot issue

Anyone out there have the slight blindspot on the LHS due to the standard mirror (non convex). I am guessing that a cut to size convex would solve the problem, any thoughts?

BTW, the after market stick on circular convex mirrors DO NOT WORK. Too small and they impede the vision even further.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:47 PM
DWayne2910

Mirror

Mark,
Here in Northeast US, there's a gadget outlet called Brookstone that has a full width convex mirror that clips on to the inside rear view mirror. It eliminates the blind spots. Try their website (believe it's www.brookstone.com) for more info.
In the meantime, try this trick: Sitting in the driver's seat, lean your head against the side window and adjust the outside mirror so that you can just see the rear fender. (when you straighten back up in the seat, you should not see any image of your car in the outside mirror.)
To adjust the passenger side mirror, lean over in the driver's seat until your head is in the middle of the car and adjust the outside mirror the same way - so that the rear fender just starts to appear in the mirror.
Now, when there's a vehicle coming up beside you, it should appear in one of the side view mirrors and the inside mirror simultaneously, eliminating the blind spot.
Dan
Old 06-20-2003, 07:16 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

Thanks Dan, nice trick. Also thanks for the link. Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:03 PM

Registered SVX
Dan,

That is one hell of a worthwhile idea and safety tip. Will experiment ASAP.

The problem is always to judge the lateral angles and if too much has been left blind close to the car. Why is this idea not well known ? It should be published.

Thanks a million, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-24-2003, 09:08 PM
DWayne2910

Mirror trick

Trevor -
I don't know why this means for eliminating blind spots isn't more well known/publicized; I read about it in an editorial piece in a car magazine (Autoweek) several years ago, but have seen nothing about it since.
Needless to say, I tell everyone I know about it.

Regards,
Dan
Old 08-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I've noticed that most people have their mirrors aimed to show what's behind their vehicle. You should never see the side of your car in the side mirrors in a normal seating position.

I find that I can't adjust the mirrors far enough out for my liking.

If a car is passing me I should never lose sight of the car. (from rear view mirror to side mirror to corner of eye)