SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2001, 10:51 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Thumbs up 2003 Svx?!?!

I was reading the yahoo site today and noticed that someone posted about "Can I get some info on the 2003 SVX?". I replied...what 2003 SVX?

After some digging however this appears to be the case. Seems like they are trying to make a new one based on the WRX chassis. With questions on whether it will be a the new flat six, or the 2.0turbo in the WRX.

How sweet would this be! Hopefully it won't be too much out of my pricerange, maybe I will just have to pre-order one.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-02-2001, 12:00 PM

Here is some info on it....

From autoweek.com:

Subaru is planning to revive the SVX name on a radical new four-wheel-drive coupe that?s planned for launch in 2003.

The two-door will ride a modified version of the next Impreza platform and rumor says it will have a radical-looking, all-steel body aimed at answering criticism of Subaru?s bland styling efforts in recent years.

Described by Subaru sources as Japan?s answer to the popular Audi TT, the coupe is likely to be offered with a wide range of engine choices, including the Impreza WRX?s rally-bred, turbocharged 2.0-liter flat four. With 280 hp, it promises to endow the coupe with TT-slaying performance.

Subaru?s all-new 3.0-liter six-cylinder boxer is also being considered. Revealed at last year?s Tokyo motor show, it develops 220 horsepower normally aspirated. The coupe might spawn a roadster version, as well.

From motortrend.com:

2003 Subaru SVX: Resurrecting the name from the quirky '80s grand tourer, Subaru will apply the moniker to a radically styled coupe based on the Impreza WRX platform.

From importdevelopment.com:

Subaru Ponders the Rebirth of SVX. GM plans use of Subaru's new engine.

According to sources, Subaru is studying the feasibility of reviving the high performance SVX sports coupe for the US Market.The SVX, if produced, will not be available until 2003.

Following Subaru's introduction of the next generation Outback with a new H6 3.0L engine recently at the New York Auto show, rumor has it that GM (who has a sizable stake in Subaru) is hoping to use the same engine to supply its upcoming coupes.

It's looking good for us!

Ryan

Old 08-02-2001, 01:42 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quirky '80's grand tourer? Huh?

And last I heard GM owned 10 percent of Subaru, that isn't a very significant stake if ya ask me.

And lastly, *where in thee heck is the offical R&T article*???
Old 08-02-2001, 01:47 PM
kvnobrien

Becareful what you ask for, or you soon might get it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this board or one in Japan is being watched by Subaru to see what they did right and wrong, and what people are looking for in the future. If they aren't, they better start.

Good Cupholders Damnit!

And work with Level Ten on the auto transmission (Ford did for the SVT Mustang according to the owner Pat Barret)
Old 08-02-2001, 01:56 PM
kvnobrien

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000
Quirky '80's grand tourer? Huh?

And last I heard GM owned 10 percent of Subaru, that isn't a very significant stake if ya ask me.

And lastly, *where in thee heck is the offical R&T article*???
I thought GM bought 10 percent of Fuji Heavy Industries.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Let's see: GM owns 10% of FHI, and FHI owns 90% of Subaru

10% of 90% is 9% .

So GM owns 9% of Subaru.

Larry III
Old 08-02-2001, 02:37 PM
Habesha

Yae Yae Nae

Quote:
Originally posted by kvnobrien
Becareful what you ask for, or you soon might get it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this board or one in Japan is being watched by Subaru to see what they did right and wrong, and what people are looking for in the future. If they aren't, they better start.

Good Cupholders Damnit!

And work with Level Ten on the auto transmission (Ford did for the SVT Mustang according to the owner Pat Barret)
Good cup holders.... oak tray tables in the back seats (a-la Jaguar Vanden Plas), and *TRIPTRONIC* transmission

BTW, having been in a Vanden Plas, the SVX drives better. Not sure who has the most mechanical woes though, lol
Old 08-02-2001, 02:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
The 2003 model year is not too far away.... I'd think they'd have concepts @ shows by now...

Maybe they'll have one @ Detroit in next years show..but that's just shortly b4 the model year

You'd think they'd want to build up hype about it. for the newest version of it. Especially after the poor sales SOA found in the first offering of the SVX
Old 08-02-2001, 02:47 PM

Well reading a few others it sounds like they had brought a concept type car to one of the major Tokyo shows a while back. Most of these places are assuming that this is the car that will be the new SVX. Of course however not a single one has any pics of it!!!

Either way, with all the car magazines starting to post hints about it, I would assume this is a legimate claim. Needless to say, you would think you guys would be more excited.

Ryan

Old 08-02-2001, 03:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
Either way, with all the car magazines starting to post hints about it, I would assume this is a legimate claim. Needless to say, you would think you guys would be more excited.

Ryan
First of all, that's a dangerous assumption to make.

Second, personally I'm not terribly excited at the prospect of a new car carrying the title 'SVX.' The cars we have now are a rare occurance. I'll explain why.

If you believe what you're told by the R&T Guide, then Subaru basically gave free reign to the engineers and designers to build the best car they did.

I tend to believe that R&T's version of the story is probably pretty close. Why? Because I own three Subarus - an '85, a '90 and my '93 SVX. It shows the progression from Subaru's past to the SVX. It's phenomenal.

The SVX was not built on an existing platform. It seemed to have been designed and manufactured at great expense by Subaru. They stuck their neck out by building a truly unique and fantastic car, and what happened? They lost money.

My point is that if Subaru builds another SVX, it's just not going to be better than the original. And that's what I expect for a redesign after ten years - better, not the same.

It'll be a different car - apparently a TT-like car. And that's not an SVX.

Hooray for Subaru if they go after more of Audi's market, but I will not have the same enthusiasm for the car as I do the SVX. In my mind, and I probably speak for a few others here, there will never be a replacement.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-02-2001, 03:23 PM

Well to each his own I guess....

If they DO do a good job, believe me I will be waiting for one. I agree the chances are that it will turn out to be some ugly WRX 2 door deal without the cool windows. But still, I am quite interested in what it may become. I agree it would be a big dissapointment if they wreck the name of the SVX by putting it on a car not worthy of it. Hopefully Subaru will do a good thing with this one. Personally I wouldn't mind owning a new SVX with a factory warranty on it, without droopy sunvisors, 125K miles on it, and like said before...better cupholders.

Also, and here is something no one has mentioned yet, is there a possiblity of a 5 spd? Even may I say it, 6 spd? I mean if this is supposed to be a TT beater, or at least contender, Subaru would kill that chance by not offering one. The car would probably be lighter as well. Put that will a almost guranteed 250hp+ powertrain, this would one fun car.

Just my 2 cents,
Ryan

Old 08-02-2001, 03:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Well to each his own I guess....

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
If they DO do a good job, believe me I will be waiting for one. I agree the chances are that it will turn out to be some ugly WRX 2 door deal without the cool windows. But still, I am quite interested in what it may become. I agree it would be a big dissapointment if they wreck the name of the SVX by putting it on a car not worthy of it. Hopefully Subaru will do a good thing with this one. Personally I wouldn't mind owning a new SVX with a factory warranty on it, without droopy sunvisors, 125K miles on it, and like said before...better cupholders.

Also, and here is something no one has mentioned yet, is there a possiblity of a 5 spd? Even may I say it, 6 spd? I mean if this is supposed to be a TT beater, or at least contender, Subaru would kill that chance by not offering one. The car would probably be lighter as well. Put that will a almost guranteed 250hp+ powertrain, this would one fun car.

Just my 2 cents,
Ryan
A fun car, yes - but you missed my point:

It won't be the same - or a better - car.

And by better I don't mean a manual transmission and I don't mean more horsepower. I mean more reliable, more comfortable, more luxury.

The SVX is a GT car, not a sports car. Putting the SVX name on a TT-like sports car is tantamount to blasphemy in my book.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-02-2001, 03:48 PM

Re: Re: Well to each his own I guess....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

A fun car, yes - but you missed my point:

It won't be the same - or a better - car.

And by better I don't mean a manual transmission and I don't mean more horsepower. I mean more reliable, more comfortable, more luxury.

The SVX is a GT car, not a sports car. Putting the SVX name on a TT-like sports car is tantamount to blasphemy in my book.
I agree with you. The main reason I like my SVX so much is due to the incredible comfort it is to drive. I doubt that Subaru will match this with the new model, and this will be a big dissapointment. I guess we will have to wait and see. I wasn't impressed with the fact they got rid of the RS and put in the WRX either, but times change. The fact still remains that when this does hit the streets, even the absolutely newest TRUE SVX is still going to be 6 years old. Well beyong the 3 yr, 36,000 mile warranty. Heck with the ways that warranties are going now, I wouldn't be suprised if it got the 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. With all the problems with the trannies on our SVX's eveyone here I'm sure would be happy to have that.

After my tranny replacement, and now looking at axle replacements. I would rather have shelled out my $250 for the month and had a new one. But like you said, I'm sure it won't be the same. If it's not, dissapointment by all. There is always the chance though that they could make it that much better.

Ryan

Old 08-02-2001, 03:56 PM
Lowered SVX

damn i go away for a little while.....

and they consider bringing the SVX back for 2003! if they bring it back and it does not incorporate the window in a window design then it is not a SVX.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-02-2001, 04:05 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Guys, I have posted it before

This is what the Subaru Dealer told me when asked about the SVX.

Subaru is NOT making a new SVX. They are making a 2 door coupe comming out in 2003 and changing all the designs in their current cars sometime soon (around 03).

The new 2dr. coupe will be based on the Legacy frame and MAY have the H6 3.0. It will not have the window in window feature and it will not bare the name SVX. It might be something like the legacy GT. or outback or whichever line it's supposed to fall under.

That's what I've heard and I assume the dealers would know a decent mount since they are the ones selling and hyping up people. And my dealer has been pretty straight forward with me so far.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!