Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2010, 05:02 PM

93 svx bizaare power surge (i think)

Ok, here goes..

93 Svx I got it for a song on a rebuilt title. Runs like a dream except that it didn't start reliably. Soooo.. I re did a large portion of the electrical incuding the alternator wiring and the fuse box itself. it was basically fubar. I was a mechanic for a long time and electrical was my specialty.

anyway, Things were fine for a couple months then bam, i turned the key, the engine started missing, knocking and backfiring bigtime, The AC went out and it immediately overheated.

I went through everything and the only supect part seemed to be a blown AC fuse. I replace it and The AC is fine. No apparant loss of power and the engine smooths out a bit at higher rpms. its not an idle issue, checked that. The cooling fans don't kick on. I checked everything and the fans, relays and fuses are all ok. I replaced the temp sensor and still no result. There is nothing wrong with the head gaskets, radiator, water pump, thermostat or hoses. The check engine light is not on, the light itself works. I went over the wiring i did and its all kosher.

The thing that gets me is all this, the blown AC, the engine issues and the cooling fans not working all happened at once. I don't know if the ECM is blown, I dont have access to a scanner. And I have no clue where the suspected surge could have come from. I'e worked on everything from Geo metros to Ferraris and I'm lost on this one.

Any suggestions would be much Appreciated.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 93 svx bizaare power surge (i think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjeff View Post
Ok, here goes..

93 Svx I got it for a song on a rebuilt title. Runs like a dream except that it didn't start reliably. Soooo.. I re did a large portion of the electrical incuding the alternator wiring and the fuse box itself. it was basically fubar. I was a mechanic for a long time and electrical was my specialty.

anyway, Things were fine for a couple months then bam, i turned the key, the engine started missing, knocking and backfiring bigtime, The AC went out and it immediately overheated.

I went through everything and the only supect part seemed to be a blown AC fuse. I replace it and The AC is fine. No apparant loss of power and the engine smooths out a bit at higher rpms. its not an idle issue, checked that. The cooling fans don't kick on. I checked everything and the fans, relays and fuses are all ok. I replaced the temp sensor and still no result. There is nothing wrong with the head gaskets, radiator, water pump, thermostat or hoses. The check engine light is not on, the light itself works. I went over the wiring i did and its all kosher.

The thing that gets me is all this, the blown AC, the engine issues and the cooling fans not working all happened at once. I don't know if the ECM is blown, I dont have access to a scanner. And I have no clue where the suspected surge could have come from. I'e worked on everything from Geo metros to Ferraris and I'm lost on this one.

Any suggestions would be much Appreciated.
the engine started missing, knocking and backfiring bigtime, The AC went out and it immediately overheated.

Hard to say,but you may have had a voltage regulator failure, that has allowed the max voltage to go very high (18V), blow fuses and things. It does happen.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
the engine started missing, knocking and backfiring bigtime, The AC went out and it immediately overheated.

Hard to say,but you may have had a voltage regulator failure, that has allowed the max voltage to go very high (18V), blow fuses and things. It does happen.

Harvey.
+5, that exactly what i thought too. If the wiring was fubar then it could easily short the alternator to ground and otherwise tweak the diodes or field control to give your system high or bad voltage (alternating current).

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 PM

I sent you a PM- I'm also in Salt Lake City. There are a couple of us here.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner