Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: Need parts suggestions on new-used SVX

Depending upon the year of the car, some were fitted with an external trans filter, often referred to as the "recall filter".

I assume dcarrb is talking about the screen filter which is inside the transmission pan.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I hear what you are saying but the folks on the BITOG site love redline and any real synthetic is going to have a significantly higher flash point than a dino fluid. M1 might be higher, as you claim, but both are way higher than dino.
They may love redline on BITOG but there are plenty in this country who love Sara Palin and Barrack Obama. That doesn't mean they have a clue. No neither of them have a signifigantly higher flash point. Try about 5-15 degree f at the higher end compared to some of the quality name non-syth. atfs.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:24 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Try Applied Rotor Technology for Cryo treated Rotors. Ask for Pad to get your 10% SVX network discount. I think they make Centric's cryo rotors.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
They may love redline on BITOG but there are plenty in this country who love Sara Palin and Barrack Obama. That doesn't mean they have a clue. No neither of them have a signifigantly higher flash point. Try about 5-15 degree f at the higher end compared to some of the quality name non-syth. atfs.
The ones that don't love Sarah Palin are the ones that haven't a clue.

Can't say the same about Obama

Keith
Old 08-14-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post

Keith
Don't you mean "the ones that haven't made love to Sarah Palin are the ones that haven't a clue"?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post

Keith
I don't remember posting this. Must be walking and talking in my sleep.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
I guess the manufacturers can lie but here are their reported numbers:

Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF = 453F (PAO)
Redline D4 ATF = 437F (Ester)
Royal Purple Max ATF = 440F (Ester)
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF = 392F (Type III)
Mobil D/M ATF = 367F (Non-hydrocracked Dino)

So it looks like Redline gives you a 19% higher margin of error over dino as far as critical temperatures are concerned. I'm not sure if a tranny cooler can cause operating temperatures to reduce by 19%. Obviously, both together would be the best option, assuming people could agree on where to mount them and how to "wire" them up.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I guess the manufacturers can lie but here are their reported numbers:

Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF = 453F (PAO)
Redline D4 ATF = 437F (Ester)
Royal Purple Max ATF = 440F (Ester)
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF = 392F (Type III)
Mobil D/M ATF = 367F (Non-hydrocracked Dino)

So it looks like Redline gives you a 19% higher margin of error over dino as far as critical temperatures are concerned. I'm not sure if a tranny cooler can cause operating temperatures to reduce by 19%. Obviously, both together would be the best option, assuming people could agree on where to mount them and how to "wire" them up.
Those are fire points not flash points I believe. Flash points are much much lower. 215 or so for Mobil 1 syth. according to the indie lab I posted here oh 8 years ago. Which was also lower than the Mobil quoted flash point by about 10 degrees.

Show me the indie report for Redline, if not you're simply playing Russian roulette. I'd be happy to bottle some pee and sell it to ya saying its good for 10 degrees higher than anything else on the market to since there is nothing preventing me from making such a claim.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Those are fire points not flash points I believe. Flash points are much much lower. 215 or so for Mobil 1 syth. according to the indie lab I posted here oh 8 years ago. Which was also lower than the Mobil quoted flash point by about 10 degrees.

Show me the indie report for Redline, if not you're simply playing Russian roulette. I'd be happy to bottle some pee and sell it to ya saying its good for 10 degrees higher than anything else on the market to since there is nothing preventing me from making such a claim.
I am not familiar with indie lab numbers. I'm just telling you what I found on specification pages. Here is the example for Mobil 1:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...thetic_ATF.asp

For what it is worth, I have read that the max suggested ATF temperature is somewhere in the 205F to 220F. That is clearly below all of those flash point numbers. I assumed there is a breakdown chemistry that occurs well below flash. However, I also assumed they are related. Why? I also read that we are talking about a fundamental oxidation reaction. So, if flash is 19% higher then I assumed that the critical temperature at which some elevated oxidation occurs will also be 19% higher. If the relationship is not linear then I could be off. But it will be higher by some amount.

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 08-16-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I am not familiar with indie lab numbers. I'm just telling you what I found on specification pages. Here is the example for Mobil 1:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...thetic_ATF.asp

For what it is worth, I have read that the max suggested ATF temperature is somewhere in the 205F to 220F. That is clearly below all of those flash point numbers. I assumed there is a breakdown chemistry that occurs well below flash. However, I also assumed they are related. Why? I also read that we are talking about a fundamental oxidation reaction. So, if flash is 19% higher then I assumed that the critical temperature at which some elevated oxidation occurs will also be 19% higher. If the relationship is not linear then I could be off. But it will be higher by some amount.
That's because as I stated you posted fire points not flash points. The search engine is your friend, I explored this years ago when I cared. No longer have an SVX. Still wanna buy my pee I can put what ever Redline puts on their bottles and give it to ya for 1/2 the price. For the record if I ever reached 210 with mobil 1 with my pan mounted temp sender I would change my tranny fluid when I finished the current trip. Reached it at least 1 time a year.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
That's because as I stated you posted fire points not flash points. The search engine is your friend, I explored this years ago when I cared. No longer have an SVX. Still wanna buy my pee I can put what ever Redline puts on their bottles and give it to ya for 1/2 the price. For the record if I ever reached 210 with mobil 1 with my pan mounted temp sender I would change my tranny fluid when I finished the current trip. Reached it at least 1 time a year.
You didn't click on the link, did you?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
You didn't click on the link, did you?
Don't need to but yes I looked at it, did an extensive search of the subject years ago and posted it here for all to see. I trust real lab results, not what a bottle tells me. To my knowledge non of the atfs in discussion have been changed. The search engine is your friend!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Don't need to but yes I looked at it, did an extensive search of the subject years ago and posted it here for all to see. I trust real lab results, not what a bottle tells me. To my knowledge non of the atfs in discussion have been changed. The search engine is your friend!
Lab results not withstanding, the numbers I posted were quoted as flash points and specifically say flash points on the web sites. Maybe they are not accurate but they are flash points.