Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 10-16-2002, 05:41 PM
destruction200

Question new member looking at buying

Hi Trever and other members

I have been refered to you in reference to help with buying an svx. I live in Napier in NZ and have seen one advertised for NZ$11,000. I am new to the area of buying cars and would like to know a bit before i go and buy it. It is a 1992 and has done 167000km. It has 4ws which i have been told is a maintenance problem. What are the likely things that can go wrong with this car and how expensive would it be. Also where in NZ are parts available and how expensive are they. Thanks
Andrew
Old 10-18-2002, 01:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Re: new member looking at buying

Quote:
Originally posted by destruction200
Hi Trever and other members

I have been refered to you in reference to help with buying an svx. I live in Napier in NZ and have seen one advertised for NZ$11,000. I am new to the area of buying cars and would like to know a bit before i go and buy it. It is a 1992 and has done 167000km. It has 4ws which i have been told is a maintenance problem. What are the likely things that can go wrong with this car and how expensive would it be. Also where in NZ are parts available and how expensive are they. Thanks
Andrew

Hi and welcome.

I believe that only 1000 SVX's were built with 4ws (all 1992's) and such were the problems and adverse reputation with the things that it was still possible to purchase one brand new in 1997!! - I may be corrected on this btw!!

For my 2 cents worth, the SVX, outstandingly brilliant as it is, possesses enough money pits already (transmission a glaring example) without the complexity and cost of 4WS from the point of view of ownership.

Were my Powerball numbers to come up, I would buy one for the 'collection' and also drop a Porsche 996 TT engine and gearbox in an SVX (!!) but other than that, I would leave it.

But get an SVX though!!!!!!

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 10-18-2002, 02:19 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If it were to go bad couldn't one just disable it and have it locked down in the straight ahead position? It seems to me that the 4ws option would drive the price down farther than what it would cost to disable. I've never seen one but I think it would be a fairly straight-forward operation.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:44 AM

Registered SVX
I purchased mine as the first owner ex Japan two years ago for NZ$17000. It had a complete set of documents recording history and I am sure the 95K kms. recorded was genuine. It was and still is nearly as good as new in every respect and I have had NO trouble with it and am very happy that I bought it. It is not 4WS.

As has been said 4WS is not a desirable option. I can put you onto a 4WS wreck which is available for spares. I have had to to get a door lock, due to a break in, through Subaru NZ and it arrived ex Japan in a couple of weeks no problems. Normal wear and tear parts are ex stock.

To be honest I would be very wary as others have had the best out of the car. If you would like to chat about it give me a phone call at week end rates. I will private message you the number.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-19-2002, 09:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi Beav

One of the fellows here on Oz who has a 4WS mentioned that very 'cure' last night when I spoke to him.

My concern with doing that however would be that since he has not bought the car, he could avoid such a solution altogether...cf if he already owned it.

When I had my MX6 turbo, I specifically avoid a 4ws version (also had problems!) since in my research, I came across someone who had it done but was done incorrectly and the car did not track correctly!!

I understand that for the Skyline GTS models with 4ws, you can get a 'rack' type bracket that slots and in locks the wheels in the straight ahead position, take out the 4ws fuse and voila!!

With Neill's SVX (the 4ws one), I hope to be able to get some detailed photos and even, if possible, video footage of the operation - the owner says that it changes the camber/toe-in (can't remember which) rather than a fully fledged steering movement.

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 10-20-2002, 01:09 AM
destruction200

thank you for all your help in me chosing an svx. The older models do sound like a maintanence problem but it gives me something to think about Thanks --> Andrew

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: