IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-07-2002, 06:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Transfer clutch problems.

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Is that as sign of computer problems or is it the transfer case on the aft end of the tranny? I recently had my tranny rebuilt (after the front diff went & there was little meat on the clutches), but the rebuilder said nothing about the transfer case - and I wasn't alert enough to ask what it looked like in there (or if he had to open that end) - I am TOTALLY stupid on automatics.

I have no idea where the nearest gravel road is for me. The closest I can get is a quick start attempt with sand on the road (living on a barrier island, it's all over the place - nasty for riding my old Norton Commando). I did try turning left at an intersection once - with a medium heavy foot - with both rain and sand present. The front left tire spun some as the car moved forward a foot or two, then the whole car seemed to hook up. No clunks (audible above the engine anyway) - is the noise the thing to look for, or the delay in engagement?
Hi, Lee. From what I have gleaned from this board, about the transfer clutch on the US model. Most of the trouble seems to stem from the Transfer control valve.

The are three units in the train of events. The C solenoid passes pilot pressure to the Transfer valve, which controls the pressure to the Transfer clutch. The C solenoid can fail both electricaly and mechanicaly. This usually results in binding as the clutch is fully engaged
The Transfer valve appears to suffer from sticking, may be from lack of use?. This will produce the delayed engagement, which if allowed to continue will cause wear on the Transfer clutch plates.
As all the drive to the back wheels, is carried by the clutch, in the US models, any problem with it becomes very noticable.

If the front wheels will spin on grass, the clutch is not working. If the front wheels start to spin, then there is a clunk and they stop spinning, the Transfer valve is sticking.

As many have found the transfer assemble can be overhauled without removing the transmission. There have been a number of members that have done the job themselves.

Harvey.
(Anyone who can start and ride a Commando on sandy roads, has all the skill nessesary.)

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 08-07-2002 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:42 PM

Harvey - thanks for the insight. since neither my wife nor neighbors would appreciate a lawn job (hope "lawn job" translates OK from American to Australian), I'll have to try it out on the grass at the side of the road. Do you think this is something one can feel/hear, or do I need to bring along a witness?

Last edited by lee; 08-07-2002 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Harvey - thanks for the insight. since neither my wife nor neighbors would appreciate a lawn job (hope "lawn job" translates OK from American to Australian), I'll have to try it out on the grass at the side of the road. Do you think this is something one can feel/hear, or do I need to bring along a witness?
Hey! If you are going to do "It" on the lawn, I don't think I would want any witness around.

Yes it might be best if someone stands beside the car and watches the wheels to see if they both, front and rear, react together.
It can still spin one front wheel, even if all is well, because of the open diff in the front. If both spin than there is a problem.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.