Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 05-30-2002, 05:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Lol...1 hour to do the actual adjustment and .8 hours to curse at the designers?

I'm getting the flare, but usually only when the tranny is good and hot (above 200) and under light acceleration. It's actually done this for over 5 years now, although the symptoms were very pronounced just before the transfer case went. Since the transfer case (not tranny) rebuild, it has slowly crept back. Would this be indicative at all of a band adjustment problem?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Around the shop we always comment that brevity of instructions indicates more difficult labor. As simple as the instructions seem the job pays 1.8 hours...
Old 05-30-2002, 06:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Bands? Bands? What the heck are bands? There aren't any bands in the box. Are you sure this thing needs bands? I don't think they use bands anymore. This is electronic, I don't think it uses bands.

Does that answer your question?
Yeah. Thats the message I'm getting through the board. I just assumed that band adjustment was par for the course, as it is in Oz.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I honestly can't tell you the last time I adjusted a band, I don't even know which trannies have adjustments these days. It used to be daily fare and part of a transmission service (oil, filter and adj. bands.) I'm sure it fell by the wayside as more and more shop owners got whacked by the "It was working o.k. when I brought it in" bug.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Lol...1 hour to do the actual adjustment and .8 hours to curse at the designers?

I'm getting the flare, but usually only when the tranny is good and hot (above 200) and under light acceleration. It's actually done this for over 5 years now, although the symptoms were very pronounced just before the transfer case went. Since the transfer case (not tranny) rebuild, it has slowly crept back. Would this be indicative at all of a band adjustment problem?

KuoH

Could well be, Light acceleration means that Solenoid A would have dropped the line pressure for the SMOOTH shift, which may be making it more noticeable.
Harvey.

Old 05-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Here's the poop from the manual:

Around the shop we always comment that brevity of instructions indicates more difficult labor. As simple as the instructions seem the job pays 1.8 hours...
There is a good description of the adjustment in the End Wench article that Jaylinb sent out. It seems there is a bit of work to get at the adjuster screws on the left hand side of the box. eg. cross member out, exhaust disconnect, engine locator removed, engine forced over to the right.
http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/drivetr...ustinfoW98.pdf[/URL]

Link didn't work out right.
Anyway this is the page.
Harvey.
Oh, I see it did work. See you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Last edited by oab_au; 05-30-2002 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The link didn't work, but opening the main site and browsing the archives worked. Also, I couldn't view any of the PDFs in IE, had to save to the HD and open with Acrobat. Still, they have lots of great info on that site! I'm gonna try and acrhive some of that info on the HD for future reference in case the site goes away.

But back to what you said about solenoid A, do you think the high temperatures could have any effect on noticing the flaring? It is usually not as noticeable, if at all, when the tranny is below 160. I wonder if anyone here has actually adjusted the band on the SVX and can attest to its inaccessibility? Afterall, the recommended procedure for plug replacement has you going through the fender holes but it's not absolutely necessary.

KuoH
Old 06-01-2002, 07:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
The link didn't work, but opening the main site and browsing the archives worked. Also, I couldn't view any of the PDFs in IE, had to save to the HD and open with Acrobat. Still, they have lots of great info on that site! I'm gonna try and acrhive some of that info on the HD for future reference in case the site goes away.

But back to what you said about solenoid A, do you think the high temperatures could have any effect on noticing the flaring? It is usually not as noticeable, if at all, when the tranny is below 160. I wonder if anyone here has actually adjusted the band on the SVX and can attest to its inaccessibility? Afterall, the recommended procedure for plug replacement has you going through the fender holes but it's not absolutely necessary.

KuoH
I though you would have been under there and have done the job all ready , you should be able to do the band adjustment and I'm sure there is an easier way.
As you would know hot oil is thinner that cold. It leaks out of the shafts and grooves that distribute it through the box easier than cold, so pressure is lower. The TCU has no idea of what the pressure is, it has no sensor for this. The TCU sends the signal that is written in it's look up tables to the A solenoid, then hopes every will work as planed and the pressure at the band servo will be right
Higher trans temperatures, would say to me that either, the cooler is ineffective or the torque converter is working overtime, multiplying torque and producing excess heat.
Do you drive in D around town?. Third is much easier on all things, the box is locked as a unit no gears working, input and out put shafts locked together, overall ratio dropped from 2.5 in D to 3.7, Pump runs faster, cooling is greater, torque converter heat is lower, hey even the much maligned alternator out put is higher.
I see the problem, as the way the TCU program has been written, to suit the car design of a Grand Tourer. Smooth sliding shifts so that the change is not noticeable.
I am a bit hesitant to mention this but. I would like to see somebody change the TCU, for one out of the same year model Impressa or Legacy, I doubt these would have the same program as the SVX, having less power, the shifts would have to be sharper to save performance. They are the same box with a few mods, the TCU should be interchangeable between the same year models. This would be easier on the box for people who don't use it as a Grand Tourer but as a commuter.
Anyhow that is the way I see it.
Harvey.

Old 06-02-2002, 04:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Shift kit

A lot of people come to the same conclusion Harvey, the excessive heat is caused by the slow slurring shifts. Totally imperceptible, except in your wallet.

In the States some of the members have put in the TransGo shift kit. This is designed to firm up the change. Pretty sure it does not make it go CLUNK like a racing transmission, just takes a lot of the slide out of it.

From memory, they have two kits, one an aftermarket set that can be fitted without a stripdown, the other an Engineer's kit, that can only be put in while the box is being rebuilt.

Possibly Ron Mummert has had this done. I must mail him and see if it works well. My tranny is due a stripdown when I return from the 10th Anniversary meeting in England, and it might be a good insurance to add the kit to take away some of the excess heat cause.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Shift kit

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
A lot of people come to the same conclusion Harvey, the excessive heat is caused by the slow slurring shifts. Totally imperceptible, except in your wallet.

In the States some of the members have put in the TransGo shift kit. This is designed to firm up the change. Pretty sure it does not make it go CLUNK like a racing transmission, just takes a lot of the slide out of it.

From memory, they have two kits, one an aftermarket set that can be fitted without a stripdown, the other an Engineer's kit, that can only be put in while the box is being rebuilt.

Possibly Ron Mummert has had this done. I must mail him and see if it works well. My tranny is due a stripdown when I return from the 10th Anniversary meeting in England, and it might be a good insurance to add the kit to take away some of the excess heat cause.

Joe
Gid'ay Joe, don't get too ironed out at the meet. Don't forget that you have to get back home. .

The heat that is produced in the trans is mainly from the torque converter. As the load of acceleration is applied, the converter starts to multiplying the engine torque, by changing it's ratio down from 1:1 to a maximum of 2:1. This action lowers the overall ratio to lessen the load on the engine. The trade off is large amounts of heat into the oil. I have seen examples of stall tests being done where the oil boils, forcing the oil up the dipstick to ignite on the exhaust.
The actual applying of clutches and bands doesn't produce much heat and is of no concern.

As far as shift kits go on this box, I become wary. Changing items in the valve body is not the way, thats why it's controlled by a computer, the valve body is just a dumb slave. All the operational actions, are performed in the TCU. If we want to change the action, it's the computer that needs the change.
As I said to Kuoh, there are a few different TCUs from other Subaru products that may provide the difference.

Anyway Joe enjoy the Meet and have a few for us. One for James and I'll have The rest.
Harvey.

Old 06-02-2002, 07:25 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The meet-er is running

Thanks Harvey

Hope we will all have a good time. Will be careful on the silly sauce, I do have a ferry to catch Sunday.

The Japanese have a different TCU on the aftermarket, so far as I know, it does away with the speed restrictor, can't read japanese so not sure about the rest.

Price I saw was about 6 or 8 hundred quid, and it might be worth it.

Maybe paddlesNZ would have an opinion.

Cheers

Joe.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: The meet-er is running

Quote:
Thanks Harvey

Hope we will all have a good time. Will be careful on the silly sauce, I do have a ferry to catch Sunday.

The Japanese have a different TCU on the aftermarket, so far as I know, it does away with the speed restrictor, can't read japanese so not sure about the rest.

Price I saw was about 6 or 8 hundred quid, and it might be worth it.

Maybe paddlesNZ would have an opinion.

Cheers

Joe.
Joe removing the speed limiter may not be too hard. My son bought a JDM Toyota Soarer which had the speed limiter and cruse control limits. This was removed by changing pins on the ECU. May be the same on the JDM Subaru.

Harvey.

Old 06-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
ECU Brutu?

Harvey

I would like to think you are correct in this. What makes me a little suspicious is the fact that the SVX is 4wd car.

The TCU makes decisions as to how to apportion power based on information input about speed[wheel revolution] front, and speed[wheel revolution] rear.

Reason I mention this is that it must be a far simpler job to adjust the signal and hence the effect in a front or rear driven car. The change you make to the signal has no other effect on the operating parameters.

If you change one of the signal cables in an SVX to show MPH not Km/h, because the other side of the equation does not "know" or "understand" what has happened, it could mean software meltdown

Like to think it would work,but.........

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-03-2002, 07:11 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: ECU Brutu?

Quote:
Harvey

I would like to think you are correct in this. What makes me a little suspicious is the fact that the SVX is 4wd car.

The TCU makes decisions as to how to apportion power based on information input about speed[wheel revolution] front, and speed[wheel revolution] rear.

Reason I mention this is that it must be a far simpler job to adjust the signal and hence the effect in a front or rear driven car. The change you make to the signal has no other effect on the operating parameters.

If you change one of the signal cables in an SVX to show MPH not Km/h, because the other side of the equation does not "know" or "understand" what has happened, it could mean software meltdown

Like to think it would work,but.........
It is not all that involved. when they design the system they don't want to make different setups for different models. So they build all the options into the software. It was just a matter of changing a link on the computer to have the other result .
I will check it out in detail with him, and get back to you.
Harvey.

Old 06-04-2002, 01:30 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Let me know what you find, Harvey. If it works, I will do it.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: