Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 08-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
Power chip

Has anyone had a powerchip installed in there SVX???? any comment for someone who is thinking about it????

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 08-10-2005, 06:40 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Hey, not trying to pirate your thread, but does anyone have any experience with NITROUS in an SVX?
I figure this may be cheaper than Turbo or Super charging for those odd times you just want a bit more poke!!
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:53 PM

I have check out the ECU upgrade from Small Car and are going to order one as I think it is worth the money so I can let you know how it goes. Also about to decide if I do a 5 speed upgrade or a 6 speed Sti. Ass you can imagine the 6 costs gold, but hell there is not a car on the market that would rather have. If Subaru had a replacment for the SVX then it would be different.
Tony
Old 08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Chip up-grade?

I don't think there is a lot to be gained for our Aust model in a chip change. Our model doesn't have the severe polution maping that the US model has, all we really need is 98/100 octaine fuel, to allow the ECU to use the full potential of it's maping. The lower fuel has the spark timing pulled back a bit.

I heard that the fuel Co. are raising the octaine of our fuels from 92/96 to 96/98. this will bring it inline with the Japanese fuel, so that their imports won't have to be retuned for our market.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:47 AM

Guys,
My car is coming up for the 300,000 k and the subaru dealer was telling me he though the lack of power was due to age and the injectors. I didn't think so because it can still reach 210kph. After reading one of the threads in the mod section I adjusted to throttle cable (Cable on the right of throttle body). What I didn't realize till now was that the lack of power was in fact a lack of changing down. Before it always felt like it had no pawer when you put your foot down it was just the peddle not opening the throttle fully and telling the transmission to change down. Still got some adjustment to do but now change from third to forth at 200kph when pushing it. Also kicked down to 3rd from 4th at 160kph. Only problem left to fix is a sticking ICA value under the throttle body (causes idle to stay high).
Tony
Old 08-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
I have check out the ECU upgrade from Small Car and are going to order one as I think it is worth the money so I can let you know how it goes. Tony
I would love too hear how it works out for you thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab au
I don't think there is a lot to be gained for our Aust model in a chip change. Our model doesn't have the severe polution maping that the US model has, all we really need is 98/100 octaine fuel, to allow the ECU to use the full potential of it's maping. The lower fuel has the spark timing pulled back a bit.

I heard that the fuel Co. are raising the octaine of our fuels from 92/96 to 96/98. this will bring it inline with the Japanese fuel, so that their imports won't have to be retuned for our market.
Acording to power chip australia the car has been de-tuned for saftey with lower grade petrol. basically making the engine idiot proof, there argument is that by advancing the timing and using a 98 or higher ocane fuel our svx will pull 336 Nm of torque and 184 KW, and for AUD $890 i think it is a fairly good gain for the price (asuming it does all that it claims)

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/intera...sp?pid=Sub0016

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 08-12-2005, 03:31 PM

I ment to say on the left of the throttle body there are two cables, the one on the left of the two is for the cruise control, the throttle is the one on the right if you take the slack out of the cable you will be surprised on the lift in performance. The peddle in the car has a stopper so if the cable is lose you can't open the throttle fully. I just finished removing the throttle body to fix the idle problem and found that the vacum hoses are old and one was broken, my guess is that was the idle problem. By the way if anyone can't keep wheel bearings in their car let me know as I have a mod that makes the problem go away.
Tony
Old 08-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Lightbulb

Quote:
By the way if anyone can't keep wheel bearings in their car let me know as I have a mod that makes the problem go away.
Tony

DO tell, Tony.. Makes the problem go away? What is the mod? I have at least one bad bearing in the back of Black Betty to replace, when I have the gearbox sorted, hopefully soon. If there is a mod that will keep it from doing the bearings again, it would be a good time to know.

What is it?

Thanks

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
I would love too hear how it works out for you thanks!

Acording to power chip australia the car has been de-tuned for saftey with lower grade petrol. basically making the engine idiot proof, there argument is that by advancing the timing and using a 98 or higher ocane fuel our svx will pull 336 Nm of torque and 184 KW, and for AUD $890 i think it is a fairly good gain for the price (asuming it does all that it claims)

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/intera...sp?pid=Sub0016
The real proof will come if you ask if you can get an independent tester to dyno your car with and without the chip installed. Of course, people will say anything to sell a product, and I'm wary here because it's a big ticket item.

I'm not saying it's rubbish - there is no doubt it probably does something, but I'd be looking to get independent figures before splashing the cash.

Having said that, as with every engine mod, no matter how 'safe', the engines in the SVX model are lovely and robust and last a long time... until you start fiddling with it.

It's all a matter of (money now + money later if it breaks) vs. gain received.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 08-15-2005, 04:54 AM

Joe,
When my car had 140,000K the back driver bearing failed I then proceed to spend a fortune replacing bearings and hubs etc. If I bent a rim from the dirt roads with in weeks the bearing failed. The longest I got from the bearings were 15,000k. At 200,000 K I had enough so I got the bearing spec's from the manufactors web site and then found one with a higher load rating the only issue is that it is narrower so I got two bushes made to take up the space. The drivers back bearing hasn't been replaced for over 70,000K and has had to put up with larger tires, damaged rims and damaged roads in the back of SA. I have replaced the two in Blakes car as well since buying it. As I remember the bearings are cheaper then Subaru but you need to get the spacers made on a lath. I have a spare set of bearing's and spacers at my office so I will send a photo of tomorrow for you plus bearing number.
Tony
Old 08-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Joe,
When my car had 140,000K the back driver bearing failed I then proceed to spend a fortune replacing bearings and hubs etc. If I bent a rim from the dirt roads with in weeks the bearing failed. The longest I got from the bearings were 15,000k. At 200,000 K I had enough so I got the bearing spec's from the manufactors web site and then found one with a higher load rating the only issue is that it is narrower so I got two bushes made to take up the space. The drivers back bearing hasn't been replaced for over 70,000K and has had to put up with larger tires, damaged rims and damaged roads in the back of SA. I have replaced the two in Blakes car as well since buying it. As I remember the bearings are cheaper then Subaru but you need to get the spacers made on a lath. I have a spare set of bearing's and spacers at my office so I will send a photo of tomorrow for you plus bearing number.
Tony
That sounds good Tony, thanks. I'll be looking forward to seeing the info.

Just as a matter of interest, do you make up the spacers to a slightly smaller diameter, so they don't rub the housing? Do they make noise when/if spinning?

Ta

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-16-2005, 03:13 AM

Joe,
Started work at 3 am this morning and by tonight I was shot forgot to bring the bearing home but will do tomorrow. The spacer is in two parts one to hold the cone assembly and is tight in the outer hub and the other is tight onthe axel shaft but clears the outer collar. Due to the spacers being tight they don't move at all. In spite of the fact the new bearing is narrower its side load rating was 60% greater then the standard SVX bearing. Will get the detail for you tomorrow. Bye for now.
Tony
Old 08-17-2005, 03:51 AM

Joe,
Here it is I have two photos with the bearing and the part number the trick is to make sure the smaller spacer has a chamfer large of equal to the one in the bearing other wise it won't pull up on the shaft. Jobs pretty simple the height of each spacer on the new bearing needs to be the same as the height of the old bearing. As I mentioned before I have 70,000 on this type and for 10,000 K one of the rims was bent. Any question happy to help you with.
Tony (hope Photos upload)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bearing 1.jpg (41.0 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Bearing 2.jpg (40.6 KB, 187 views)
Old 08-17-2005, 08:53 AM
That's gona leave a mark.

deleted and put in your bearing fix Thread .

the Chick Magnet:
91 Justy GL EFI 4x4 154k (new motor @120k)

90 Yamaha V-Max
82 Yamaha XJ650LJ Turbo
My Diver Propulsion vehicle:
88 Jeep Cherokee 160k
"U-sta-have"
88 XT6 AWD Pearl,
86 XT Lt Blue,
85 XT AWD/4x4 Turbo Space Blue

Last edited by ssnsltd; 08-17-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Joe,
Here it is I have two photos with the bearing and the part number the trick is to make sure the smaller spacer has a chamfer large of equal to the one in the bearing other wise it won't pull up on the shaft. Jobs pretty simple the height of each spacer on the new bearing needs to be the same as the height of the old bearing. As I mentioned before I have 70,000 on this type and for 10,000 K one of the rims was bent. Any question happy to help you with.
Tony (hope Photos upload)
Tony

That is solid information, and I thank you. In 5 years, I only replaced one bearing on the back of Plum.

However, in the few yards I have driven Betty, she has a very rumbly sound at the back, so I intend using your bearing and spacer system to fix that one.

I have seen the fix in Technical also. If you do run a measurement on the spacers, and post it up, it will be a help for me with the machine shop, but I understand what you are doing with them.

Thanks again

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: