Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 02-23-2005, 11:11 PM
SEA Sleeper

Subaru 4EAT VTD

Just curious if any of the SVX gurus down under could tell me if there are any subaru boneyards or places where I might find a used VTD compatable w/ my 4EAT. I believe that the only difference in our drivelines is the VTD and a different TCU of course. Is it even possible for me to obtain these items here in the US and install them in my USDM SVX? I would imagine so and even if it's a little extra work, it's sooo worth it.

USDM SVX's got shafted w/ the boring 90/10-50/50 tq split. I'm after the true "symetrical AWD" Subaru uses in thier modern cars. I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. I'd even be willing to trade driveline components if that provides any insentive.

Thank you in advance,

Elliot

PS: I'm also looking to purchase some of the factory BBS wheels if anyone would be willing to part w/ them for a price.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Subaru 4EAT VTD

Quote:
Originally posted by SEA Sleeper
Just curious if any of the SVX gurus down under could tell me if there are any subaru boneyards or places where I might find a used VTD compatable w/ my 4EAT. I believe that the only difference in our drivelines is the VTD and a different TCU of course. Is it even possible for me to obtain these items here in the US and install them in my USDM SVX? I would imagine so and even if it's a little extra work, it's sooo worth it.

USDM SVX's got shafted w/ the boring 90/10-50/50 tq split. I'm after the true "symetrical AWD" Subaru uses in thier modern cars. I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. I'd even be willing to trade driveline components if that provides any insentive.

Thank you in advance,

Elliot

PS: I'm also looking to purchase some of the factory BBS wheels if anyone would be willing to part w/ them for a price.
Hi Elliot, well nothing is impossible, BUT.

Fitting the VTD to the US box would be hard as the mainshaft is different. So you would have to rebuild the box using the parts from a donor VTD box. So it would be better to source a box from Japan, and either change the rear diff to the 3.7, or swoop the front diff to the US 3.5. You would need the TCU also.

The BBS wheels, also may be sourced from there. As they were used on the 94 model, and were optional for other models. My 95 Aust model was fitted with the optional BBS wheels, when it was ordered by Subaru Australia for their executive use.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Another angle.

Elliot

You could also consider buying a gearbox from a crashed Japanese, Oz or Euro model.

These don't have the electric clutch, and the tranny is similar to the VTD with one important difference. Trannies fitted to SVXs all had the brake band bit which give the "flaring" trouble. The newer VTD boxes [post 98] have all clutches, no brake band.

As they are lower final drive at 3.7, you would have to buy the rear diff to match, but you would end up with a much superior car in the handling department.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: