SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-31-2001, 08:47 PM

Registered SVX
screen in front of MAF

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Well, being as this isn't a mod mania thread...ARE YOU RETARDED? Yeah, go ahead and start busting up parts that were designed to work a certain way. Where in *thee* heck do you guys come up with this stuff? I guess you must have more money and time to spend ruining parts that are engineered to work a certain way than I do.

Hey, while we're at it let's poke holes in the muffler, and the cats and then we can get that really cool blat, blat, blat sound when we're driving. And *THEN* we can put in a 2000 decible stereo to shake our neigbors homes to peices at 2:00 A.M.

For any sane folks that may read this thread...do *NOT* poke holes in expensive parts, please...really, it is the most insane thing I have ever seen posted on either site.

Hey, I gotta go...my cat has four feet, I want to cut one off and see if he still performs as well as before, I've heard he may even perform better if'n I cut off one foot.

Oh yeah, what the %$^# is a mass air meter. Enlighten me please. I'm assuming you mean the air flow meter (old Subaru technospeak), or the MAF, or mass air flow sensor (government mandated generic terminology). You may be talking old english (Jaguar etc. technospeak), however I can't recall the name they used right now and quite frankly after having witnessed someone that obviously has no technical background in automobiles giving advice like that just is pure *HORSE PUCKY*.

Hope you are prepared to pay for the mass air meter you just told someone to destroy!

Cletus: "Yup, just poke a hole in 'er, she'll run *REAL* good then!"
Today I changed plugs on my 97 Chevy pickup. I took the air filter out to get to the right side plugs. When I pulled the connector tube off that contains the MAF, in there was a screen like the one in the SVX, maybe that screen should be left there. I think the engineers new something
Old 08-31-2001, 09:43 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Well, being as this isn't a mod mania thread
I didn't start the thread. If that's a big deal move it then.

Quote:

...ARE YOU RETARDED? Yeah, go ahead and start busting up parts that were designed to work a certain way. Where in *thee* heck do you guys come up with this stuff? I guess you must have more money and time to spend ruining parts that are engineered to work a certain way than I do.
When the MAF goes bad, I'll let you know. been nearly 2 years, nothing wrong to this point.

Quote:

Hey, while we're at it let's poke holes in the muffler, and the cats and then we can get that really cool blat, blat, blat sound when we're driving. And *THEN* we can put in a 2000 decible stereo to shake our neigbors homes to peices at 2:00 A.M.

For any sane folks that may read this thread...do *NOT* poke holes in expensive parts, please...really, it is the most insane thing I have ever seen posted on either site.
Poke a hole in the MAF---don't really see how that's possible... remove the screen in front of it.
How did stereos get into this?

Quote:

Oh yeah, what the %$^# is a mass air meter.now and quite frankly after having witnessed someone that obviously has no technical background in automobiles giving advice like that just is pure *HORSE PUCKY*.
Sorry wrong terminology. My fault, But you're right, seeing as how I'm 22, I don't have years and years of automotive experience. But as of today there have been no (noticeable)problems.

(noticeable)--You very well could be correct, this may on some level have an adverse affect on the MAF. I however (in my so called incompetence) have not noticed anything.

Quote:

Hope you are prepared to pay for the mass air meter you just told someone to destroy!
Again when mine breaks I'll be sure to let you know. Did I say that someone SHOULD remove it? NO I said it can be removed.
Old 09-01-2001, 03:13 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by cocacola08

I didn't start the thread. If that's a big deal move it then.

I think you missed my point. I normally don't post in the mod mania section, I don't agree with modding the car. But I expect the posts there to be irritating to me, so I usually just ignore them.

Yes, perhaps my post was a bit harsh...bad advice from someone who can't even call the part he's "modifying" by the correct name does tend to get my ire up. Did ya stop to consider that maybe you got lucky? Or that maybe someone else might not be so mechanically inclined as yourself and destroy an expensive part that works as designed based on your advice?

And I don't care if you are 22 or 72 years old...bad advice is bad advice.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:01 PM
Chad

I'd like to clear things up here....

I have modified my intake system.

I do not in any way expect people to do what I did.

ALL of my stock components are undamaged, just removed. I did not modify the MAF in any way, nor did I remove any parts related to the MAF.

What I did was:

1. Remove the stock air box, filter, and what is being referred to as the intake resonator.

2. Create an adaptor that bolts up to the MAF portion of the intake, add tubing to the adaptor to route it into the fender well, and then installed an aftermarket cone style filter.

I believe all I did was enable the cool air to more efficiently reach the intake.

This information is for that reason only. INFORMATION. Do not try this on your own car.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:50 AM
BadDog

Lightbulb

FWIW, I put an Amsoil air filter in my '97... works great, little bit extra get-up-and-go, plus increased gas mileage... the mileage increase was probably helped by Amsoil engine oil and tranny fluid, but I went from ~20.5 mpg to to 23.8 mpg Yesterday I passed 346 miles since my last fill-up and the light still didn't come on. When I filled it, it only took 14.5 gallons, so there was plenty of gas left in there
Old 09-05-2001, 04:11 PM
Lowered SVX

hmmmm....interesting bad dog.

i met two amsoil guys at a tradeshow and got their catalog. i think i will go with their 0w raceoil and pick up their tranny fluid too. nice to hear some real results. good work.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"