Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects

Old 04-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'd go for it if I were you. The harnesses I've seen are on their last brittle legs anyway. To tell you the truth, I think there's going to be a market for new engine/transmission harnesses in the next few years.

Last edited by Beav; 04-17-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
I'd go for it if I were you. The harnesses I've seen are on their last brittle legs anyway. To tell you the truth, I think there's going to be a market for new engine/transmission harnesses in the next few years.
I aggree. I don't plan on using the old harness when I build the new engine. I don't think the harnesses will just stop working on their own but I think people will bust them into pieces as they start having to pull their manifolds off to replace solenoids and bypass valves (assuming they ever come to accept there is a second bypass valve down there responsible for most of their stalling problems).

Relocating the vacuum solenoids won't just make the installation of the new manifold easier it will make the removal of the old manifold easier too. It'll be easier to get a pair of dikes under there and cut the wires than get your hand around the connectors to unplug them. Might as well cut the vaccum lines too. None of them are any good anymore and the solenoid for the evaporative system is brittle and usually breaks before the hose does.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
HUH????????????

There is a 10 character min for any post so I couldn't just say LOL
Old 04-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da'Cheat

Are there any expected problems with the install? Things that would make your average wrench, scratch his head for an hour wondering where this extra bolt went, sorta thing.
I can tell you right now where the extra bolt goes The front drivers side of the manifold. I wasn't willing to disonnect my ac hose and have to vacuum and recharge the system. I think i might have read something about getting it in with some prying in the phenolic spacer thread but I haven't looked into it. It doesn't leak without it so I'm not worried about it. When i change engines I'll have to disconnect my ac. I'll put the bolt in then.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da'Cheat
Is there any chance of blowing out a cylinder wall with 7lbs of forced induction?
Will this shorten the life of my engine? *never mind the fact that my foot will be to the floor all the time. Its like that currently*
We can't make any guarantees but it sure doesn't seem like there is any danger. As I'm sure some of the people who have actually torn down an svx engine will jump in here and attest, the engine is massively built to begin with. The crank is ultra supported on lots of bearings. The crank is sturdy and has all the things done to it already that performance shops recomend, knife edged and smooth and all that stuff. The rods are massive and pins are offset so everything rotates nicely. The cyllinder wall would be the weak point if there is one and it doesn't seem like much of a weak point. While the block is about as open as open can get we're using a blower not a turbo so there's no reason the temps should ever get to anything anywhere near threatening warpage. As far as actually breaking. I wouldn't expect that in a million years unless there was massive detonation and this engine just doesn't do that. The compression is high and all that but the knock sensors and ignition retard system are simply awesome. You can loose power easily but you really have to work at it to get pinging, knocking, and detonation.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Da'Cheat

This is all good info to have. Im sold!
Ill be puttering over to the bank this week, get some more cash on that loan im about to take out. Expect my order soon.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:09 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Im interested

Still interested, no real questions other then do you have
to use the phenolic spacers ? Not sure I want to put them
on, and Id consider adding a water injection kit to make up for not having the best gas available and no intercooler option. Works for me....
No hood mods right ? Once I take a look at the pics, it will answer alot of my other questions
thanks Mike

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 04-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport-SVX
on, and Id consider adding a water injection kit to make up for not having the best gas available and no intercooler option. Works for me....
No hood mods right ? Once I take a look at the pics, it will answer alot of my other questions
thanks Mike
Ya, the phenolic spacers give us another 1/4 inch of clearance. You need them. No, no messing with the hood.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:05 PM

Mike,

I'm interested, but short of funds at the moment. Would likely go with the 6-7 lbs boost. Not racing, but would like the power available.

Jonathan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:49 AM

same with me I'm very interested but just short on funds I need about 2 or 3 months at the most... BUt my issue is the 5 speed... plus i want to make rear wheel drive. with a different trany but i need to find out what will fit...
Old 04-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknite
same with me I'm very interested but just short on funds I need about 2 or 3 months at the most... BUt my issue is the 5 speed... plus i want to make rear wheel drive. with a different trany but i need to find out what will fit...
I understand a Supar TT tranny is a good match (Good luck finding one) and a 300zx tranny with some minor modds. I dont know first had, but it's what I picked up somewhere. I'd check into before you buy any parts.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I smell a hijacking, not the thread you wanna do that in. Mike, I would love to purchase this blower system but it wouldn't be for at least another year, Do you see yourself still having them available then?

Tom
Old 04-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport-SVX
thanks Mike
I think with 7 lbs you'll be fine with 91 octane. Do you have any interest in building an engine? With roundish #'s it looks like $2,500 to $3,000 in parts to build a like new condition long block with the right pistons. I still need to look into the valve train and see what we can do there; with 24 of them the factory parts prices really add up and the factory valve tension seems a little soft to me for higher boost levels.

$900 je forged pistons with offset pins, lightened pins, pin fitting, double pin oilers, contact reduction, and ring sets (repositioned)
$250 gasket set
$250 main bearing set
$250 rod bearing set ($150 for cobb bearings)
$150 oil pump
$100 water pump
? valve springs, seals, lash adjusters, etc

Last edited by longassname; 04-23-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknite

All i can suggest is rearranging your svx mod priorities. If we don't get the orders for the first batch you won't have the opportunity to purchase the supercharger later. I hope that is clear to everyone that's looking and dreaming of having stage III in the future. If everyone counts on others being the first you just may never get one. We will not produce a batch without orders. We will give mikecg the prototype and that will be that.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
All i can suggest is rearranging your svx mod priorities. If we don't get the orders for the first batch you won't have the opportunity to purchase the supercharger later. I hope that is clear to everyone that's looking and dreaming of having stage III in the future. If everyone counts on others being the first you just may never get one. We will not produce a batch without orders. We will give mikecg the prototype and that will be that.

So none has contacted you for orders yet?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: