SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania

Old 01-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Tom:

Here it is: HLY-11-4

I'm reading all this about how the switch that is made when the clutch is depressed is supposed to tell the ECU that the phantom 4EAT is in neutral, thus preventing stall, and I'm thinking that my neutral is hard-wired, and it is still stalling.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 01-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Maniac modifier

I know, thats why I feel regaurdless of your wiring, the engine will still stall

Tom
Old 01-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I'm going to unsubscribe from this one. Good luck guys.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Maniac modifier

listen, just being practical. Read into it and over engineer a solution all you want but in the long run it comes down to air being there to burn or not. If there is no air to burn, what good is anything else?? Now rmjjenson was onto something with the A/C being on but not running the compressor. I think that the IAC opens further and the fuel is bumped to raise idle. What we need is the same amount of fuel but a little more air. The Dash pot should cure this stalling problem by allowing the idle to settle slowly and keeping enough air in the engine for it to run.

Tom
Old 01-24-2006, 11:26 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
I checked tonight, and have my setup wired as lan has described. I have never experienced any stalling. I have a legacy 19lb flywheel. I dont see why we wouldnt all be haviing this problem..it must be something small

phil
Old 01-26-2006, 04:38 PM
SilVerXtc

I've never had a stalling problem with my 5mt. But Mine always idles at around 1000-1100 rpm. Acceleration is sluggish untill it hits 2000rpm then it feels like a turbo kicking in or a shot of nitrous(but I think having no cats is the reason.) I'm also only getting about 17mpg. And my cruise control has never worked since having the manual transmission.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:23 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
See above ------^

Last edited by svxcuseme; 01-27-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:49 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
I have occasional stalls since the swap. But I had occasional stalls before as well. I think mine may be related to a dirty manifold, IAC, and throttle plates. I'll let you know after cleaning this weekend.

Agree with Tom about the air issue. Did'nt want to say anything because you guys have been working on the SVX's much longer then me. A simple & cheap way to let more air in is to adjust the throttle cable to open the throttle plates ever so slightly. Opps! apparently this does'nt prove so effective,
Quote:
i've even tried to adjust the idle at the engine with the throttle cable and still no avail
. I don't see why not though. I've done this with smashing success in my other scoobies.

Edit: Top Clutch switch is wired into NSS, so ECU is aware of Neutral when Clutch pressed. 2002 WRX 5mt with stock flywheel.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
has anyone ever tried

It dawned on my a little bit ago and I'm curious:

Has anyone tried wiring the Engine Torque Control signal of the ECU to one of the clutch switches so that the ECU cuts back during shifts? I know it cuts 3 cylinders, or reduces timing, or both....BUT ...if the engine is disconnected from the drivetrain it should still be able to free-rev perfectly fine so you can shift properly at redline ...

maybe ..who knows.

So has anyone tried this? Maybe when the ECU is in its torque control mode the engine won't stall (more control)?

ideas? I might try this but I'd have to wait til next week.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 02-24-2006, 01:38 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Here's what I wrote on the torque control algorithm a few years ago:

-------
... Got home this evening and wired a switch between 5 V and the torque control pin. Driving down the road and toggling between open (unreferenced) and 5 V made absolutely no difference in power. Next, I put the switch between the torque control pin and ground. This is where it got interesting. As long as the throttle position was less than about 75%, there was no difference in engine performance between grounded and ungrounded torque control pin. Above about 75% throttle position, the engine would dog dramatically when the torque control pin was grounded. I think it is indeed pulling back timing. ....
-------

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
i read that and that makes sense for engine performance. ...but what about engine management? That's what we're trying to fix.

I'm talking about maybe the ECU controls the engine differently when the torque control signal goes low (ground). Obviously it does and will harm performance IF the engine is connected through the driveline to the wheels ...won't make power. This is obvious.

But, if the engine is disconnected from the driveline (clutch is pressed) maybe the engine wouldn't bog down at high rpms, and maybe the ECU will be controlling the engine (Idle air control valve) differently ONLY if the torque control signal is grounded.

So press the clutch in, engine isn't under a heavy load, engine torque control kicks in and smooths the engine RPMS, shift into gear, let off the clutch, engine torque control back to normal.

Hey - you never know.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 02-24-2006, 01:53 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I don't recall the torque control having any effect on idle (less than 75% throttle), but its been a while. If you want to check, its easy enough to test.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:59 PM

Lightbulb Re: infamous 5MT low idle stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
My car would never stall as long as the A/C was running.
That's funny.. that would mean it's an vacuum issue that could be resolved with an in line reducer. The best place for one would be between the air box and manifold.
Which reminds me...when I bought my 92' SVX the air box was cracked from air hose to air hose and the Pressure valve had broken nipples I 'Frankensteined' 10 years ago with shoe goo and epoxy. (Along with cracked vacuum lines)
It's high time I check them again...that Pressure Valve I know is beyond shot...
Old 03-29-2018, 06:13 AM

Lightbulb Re: infamous 5MT low idle stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXer95 View Post
I still have the 4eat, but I have a similar issue that may or may not be related. Possibly if we figure out one it will be the answer for the other.

When I put my car in park with it idling, and move the selector toward reverse without using the brake or pushing the shift button, the car goes into a high idle. After letting go, it tries to stall. I understand why it would idle high while doing that, but I don't get why it tries to stall. Sometimes it stalls (very rarely) and most of the time the rpms just dip way down without stalling.

Perhaps the two are related and it is not a MT thing. Possibly a computer related issue like you thought.
Agree. The computer is telling the engine to run rich (excessive air) or run less (restricted air) or retard the air, thus, I think a reducer at the Air box might solve this.
Has anyone tried installing a resistor/transistor to any of the transmission wires?
A resistor just may be enough to give that proper 'balance' the computer needs between engine control and transmission. JMT
Old 04-11-2018, 10:11 AM
H6 Fanatic

Registered SVX
Re: infamous 5MT low idle stall

I believe it's already been proven to be the Idle Air Control Valve (not sure if auxiliary or main) that can't open fast enough when the clutch is pushed in and the rpms start to fall. Someone in this forum removed their IACV but left it connected so as not to throw a code, then installed a non functioning valve in its place that always allowed enough air for idle. Boom. No more stalling.

We should be able to do the same thing, maybe with a cheap plumbing valve from home depot, just to make sure the engine doesn't choke when the throttle closes.

I'd love to tinker with this theory myself, but my 5mt swapped SVX just doesn't stall. No idea why but I'll take it

1993 Legacy sedan : winter beater, supposedly.
1994 Legacy wagon : future drift car?
1995 Impreza coupe : EZ30++, daily racecar.
1997 Legacy GT : date night rocket?
2003 WRX : future winter beater