Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: What is happening with SVXWN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownbot View Post
I am currently selling mine because the headgasket went. I can no longer keep this car. I posted it for sale on here but no one is interested. When I put it on craigslist I got a ton of emails but it still remains for sale. These cars are too old, too expensive, and too unreliable for most people. Subarus eat headgaskets. My dad had one that went bad, and now I have one that went bad. I would most likely never buy another Subaru. The boxer engine is a bad design. I will stick with Honda and Toyota from now on. I do love the way the car looks but that is really all it has going for it. I'm sure most of you guys will disagree with me and say that Subarus are great cars. The SVX might just be the worst example of what Subaru ever offered.
That sir explains a lot. All cars will have HG issues eventually due to age and other factors.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Subarus eat headgaskets. My dad had one that went bad, and now I have one that went bad. I would most likely never buy another Subaru. The boxer engine is a bad design.
I have put over a million miles on Subarus (half that on SVXs) and have never blown a head gasket. You will actually find very few engine designs that last longer than the boxer.

Just wanted to add the sum total of my actual problems with the SVX other than normally expected maintenance such as timing belt.

Crank pulley separation
Rack leaks leading to failure
Cam position sensor
Knock sensor
1-coil assembly
1-AC compressor
1-Transmission
7-wheel bearings

I will also empahsize that these happened to 5 different SVXi. Three of them to one vehicle with over 200K miles.

Bottom line--if taken care of these are very dependable cars other than tranny and possibly wheel bearings.

(It wasn't until the late 80s or early 90s that you could expect to get much more than 70-80K miles out of an American engine without rebuild)

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 04-02-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
These cars are too old, too expensive, and too unreliable for most people.
Maybe I've just been lucky, but having logged 70,000+ miles in an SVX I don't feel my cars have needed an extraordinary level of service. I drive 'em daily and they always get me home. How many of the unreliable lot have suffered abusive driving somewhere along the way? Quite a few, I'd bet.

Better luck with your next ride.

dcb
Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
I am currently selling mine because the headgasket went. I can no longer keep this car. I posted it for sale on here but no one is interested. When I put it on craigslist I got a ton of emails but it still remains for sale. These cars are too old, too expensive, and too unreliable for most people. Subarus eat headgaskets. My dad had one that went bad, and now I have one that went bad. I would most likely never buy another Subaru. The boxer engine is a bad design. I will stick with Honda and Toyota from now on. I do love the way the car looks but that is really all it has going for it. I'm sure most of you guys will disagree with me and say that Subarus are great cars. The SVX might just be the worst example of what Subaru ever offered.
If you read what is in your avatar, you may understand part of your problem. I have heard of very few head gasket problems over the years that I have been on this site as well as the old yahoo site. There will probably be more as time goes on because of the age of the engine, but that is part of age. You had better tell all of the airplane owners who have utilized this engine. I am sorry you had bad luck, but maintenance is part of car ownership and if you can't afford what you drive, it is time to move on to a cheap car that you can afford. Good luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Well I give kudos to all you guys for keeping them on the road. I wish I could do the same. It really saddens me to part with this car. I don't want to seem like I'm hating on Subaru. I'm just done with them that's all. I don't have the financial resources like a lot of you do. I just bought a house and that is my priority now. A car like this is just not gonna work for me anymore
Old 04-03-2010, 03:43 AM

Registered SVX

Hello everyone, I am a new member here. I joined because I was in search of an SVX. Let me give you some background on me.

I totaled my 2001RS coupe in a snowstorm in Feb of this year. Insurance cut me a check for $7800, so I began looking for another 2000-2001 2 door RS 5speed. I found this to be an impossible goal. They were either too expensive, or in too bad of shape. Well I knew I was sticking with a Subaru, after driving the impreza for the last 9 years, I could not go back to fwd. I went and looked and priced some new impreza's and legacys. I liked the legacy alot but the car payment and insurance would have been tough if work doesn't stay steady, so I am unwilling to take on that risk. I also really do prefer a 2 door car, so the search for a coupe continued. Guys over on NASIOC asked me if I looked at an SVX yet. I did want an SVX when I bought the RS, but they were to expensive then. So I began to do some research. Now that they are so cheap, I decided I was going to buy one. I ended up buying an 92 SVX on 3/08/10, from a person on here.

I was directed to here from NASIOC site where I was a member. NASIOC had been the greatest resource for my car for the last 9 years, it is a great Subaru website, but it is fail when it comes to SVX. I spent about a week, a good 30 hours, reading these forums before I joined. After I joined I still did not post anything in fear of the "use search" nazi's I seen in so many threads. I decided that PM would be the best route. Right now I have 107 Private Messages, and this is only my 30th post. I have found a lot of useful info on here, but I find getting to it is not easy. I agree with the guy that said you need to redo the Technical Q&A subforum and the How To's. When I go to the "How To" subforum, I see 5 "how to's", and I have my settings to show me everything "from the beginning". This forum has helped me to understand the problems I can expect to run into with this car. It even provides some good answers on how to repair or replace things that go wrong. It just needs to be but together in a more usable way. Since I was without a car, I was not working so much, so I had time to go into the technical forums and just read every post from the beginning to current. After reading basically everything on this forums technical subforum, I was left with this feeling of uncertainty. It seems a lot of things are argued about. Sometimes there is a general consensus on a fix, and other times it seems like a crap shoot. There should be a sticky for known fixes with writeups. For example, I have that intermittent wont start when warm issue. I think I have gone through every wont start thread on this board and I still don't know if I should just bosch mod my ignition, or pay to replace the ignition switch or ignition inhibitor switch. I don't want to just start replacing switches and relays till it works, but it seems this is the normal method for solving this issue? Moving on.. I do feel a lot of the members here are generally nice and helpful people. When I do post it is to try and ask a question that I cannot find the answer on my own. All the people that have responded to my posts have been very helpful, and I do appreciate their effort to help me get this SVX back to perfect running condition.
Over all I would say that the older threads seem to have more back and forth to them, more users where around back then it seems. There were more posts about non technical issues. The more resent posts seem to be from people like me, new to the SVX, needs work, mechanic has no clue on parts for it, so we come here. We mostly hang out in tech forum and parts for sale. So yes, even as a new member I see the changes happening here. It is true what you guys are saying about the new blood. There are/is going to be, many new owners as the older members sell off their cars. The car is now cheap, stupidly cheap, $1500-2000 running condition, cheap. These cars are going to get bought by teenagers choosing between an SVX and a used Chevy Cavalier or Toyota Corolla. That is their price range. It is only going to get worse from here.
I am not part of this group, I am 32. I bought mine with intentions of returning it back to its original glory, with some improvements over stock. I payed $2,500 for mine, she is going to need some work, but I knew that going into it from my research on here. I am going to have the valve cover gaskets, both front calipers, both ball joints, and both outer tie rod ends replaced. Parts are ordered from SubaruParts.com, they come in weds, took 14 days to process, and 5 more to ship. Which was no surprise to me, once again thanks to this forum. Its a slow leak, but I am going to fix it all now while I have the rest of the insurance money on the Impreza to pull from. So yes, I just dropped $1300 into my $2,500 car. Mechanic says everything else seems to be in really good shape. Interior is GREAT shape. Only issue inside is the driver's power seat sometimes doesn't want to slide backwards. Probably just a loose solder connection or some corrosion, I got to get in there and check it sometime. Transmission seems strong, shifts good, but I have always had a manual. This is my first automatic, lack of a 3rd pedal has caused me to break check a few people behind me as my left foot smashes the brake pedal to the floor by mistake when approaching yellow light. For this and other reasons (weight, millage, weight) I want a 5 speed. When this transmission goes, I hope "OT" is still around to do a 5 WRX speed swap. I expect my total for all repairs to be about double what I payed for the car. That is assuming I throw $3,000 paint job on my $2,500, 18year old car.
Everyone I know thinks I am crazy to be willing to throw money into this car. You guys on here understand, and that is why I like it here. At home I keep hearing "your never going to get that money back when you sell it". They don't understand, I have no intentions of ever selling it. I like it because its rare, and it is only going to become more rare as teenagers drive them into the ground and they end up in junkyards as parts cars. I love this car, never before have I just got up at 3am feeling the need to just get out on an empty highway. They just don't understand, this car fits a perfect spot for me, it will be my ultimate highway cruiser. I work on the road, mostly highway driving between locations, I put 210,000 on my 2001 RS in 9 years, and she ran perfect, with a slow oil leak.
This board is great resource to us new to the SVX. Their is a lot of knowledge in this board, and the members seem more than willing to share it. Members here genuinely love their cars. I guess you would have to love these cars to stay an owner as repair cost and gasoline prices rise. I really like the SVX love on this board, you guys go out of your way to try and keep them from the scrapyard. I understand now how you can want to have more than one. I already have felt the need to try and rescue another one, but I have to get this one fixed first. I had asked to change my username awhile back, but I have decided to keep it. I think I will always be lookin4SVX.

Well their you have it, a new members view of things.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 AM

Registered SVX

Please, if you want members to read your very lengthy post, think of your readers, edit it and break it up into paragraphs, separating the many points you have covered. An edit facility is provided.

Meantime, I fully agree with you regarding the starting fault fix and the difficulty in finding real facts. It has all been covered, but as you have found, it is buried in the depths and involves controversy; i.e. like so much else which represents much time and effort, expended by those involved.

I would be pleased to fix the how too stuff, but I have long been excluded from the clique. Read my signature. All that is required is a sticky with restricted access. No alteration in software is immediately required. There is no problem.

A decent index, followed by the required information will do the trick, exactly the same format as is used for any manual or text book. This would get everything recorded and accessible. Later on, facilities providing selective speed of access from the index to individual sections could be incorporated, but is far from a necessity.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Hello everyone, I am a new member here. I joined because I was in search of an SVX. Let me give you some background on me.

Well their you have it, a new members view of things.
Welcome, LOOKING! Glad to see another SVX fan onboard. Yep, this forum is not perfect, but a lot of people have tried very hard to make it better. And yes, some child-like bickering back and forth, not unlike a "family". But as you have found, lots of good info here as well. I hope you can make it to some of the meets. Personally, the people are what this is all about. I have become good friends with people from distant parts of the world, not just the States, and we share much more than this the love of the car.
So glad to see you here, and I'm also glad you have had a good experience thus far. If someone "flames" you, just consider the source and drive on. There's always that 10%, even in families.....

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

+1 Harry

This site has changed over the years, and will continue to change. We all hope for the best. Whatever the change, we still love this car and are here to help others who need help or have a few questions. Good luck with your project. I am glad you found one that you can bring back to better shape than it was.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

I remember feeling pretty much the same exact way you do when I bought mine. A lot has changed in my life since then. I hope that feeling stays with you forever and you keep it on the road. Good luck!!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Subaru - they're not for everyone.
SVX - they're definitely not for everyone. You need to be rich or a backyard mechanic to keep an aging one on the road and you need to love driving a rewarding vehicle.

Boxer a bad design? Quite the opposite. Arguably it is the best design. Different generations have their ups and downs.

Honda and Toyota - If you like driving an appliance, they will get you from point A to point B reliably. But they have no soul and the driving experience will never measure to an svx.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Subaru - they're not for everyone.
SVX - they're definitely not for everyone. You need to be rich or a backyard mechanic to keep an aging one on the road and you need to love driving a rewarding vehicle.

Boxer a bad design? Quite the opposite. Arguably it is the best design. Different generations have their ups and downs.

Honda and Toyota - If you like driving an appliance, they will get you from point A to point B reliably. But they have no soul and the driving experience will never measure to an svx.
Come on, are you serious? Really?

1. If a boxer engine is such a good design then why doesn't any other cars currently use them? Don't even mention Porsche because that is comparing apples to oranges. And airplanes? Once again apples to oranges. Airplanes are meticulously maintained and are checked before and after every flight. Whats the big advantage in a boxer engine? Lower weight distribution, that's it. Wow that's impressive.
I bet if went on a RX7 forum and stated that I did not think the rotary engine was a good design I would get the same reaction from them. They would say how great it is just like you guys.

2.Honda and Toyota are the two best automakers on earth. Dollar for dollar pound for pound nothing else beats them.
They are the very very reliable and I think most would agree with that. As far as driving an "appliance" well this is understandable. I have a Civic and it is no fun and very slow!! But I would rather have a car that is reliable.
In this country people are so obsessed with cars we forget there purpose is to get us from point A to point B. It's more important to have a nice flashy car than a higher standard of living. We sacrifice to have that car.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Toyota? Reliable? Do you watch the news, like ever?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1˝" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Glitches always occur here and there, no doubt that Toyota will work real hard to re-earn the trust of consumers.

But the issue for me with Toyota is that they change the model too many times, and with totally differnet designs. The corolla for example, you cannot see any consistency in generations. If you remove the corolla badges, and you release a new model to the public, they will definitely NOT know for which manufacturer this car belongs. This is IMHO.

Honda. A+++ on reliability, definitely the best worldwide. Safety is a successful F

It is cool to drive a very unique car. What is cool about the above? What is cool even about Nissans? I own one, and I regret the day I purchased it. I would have preferred to buy a Wrangler instead... but I did a mistake with the Z.

The SVX is very unique and I am damn proud to be an owner. It just deserves each penny I spend on it.

THERE IS JUST NO PRICE FOR ALMOST EXCLUSIVITY

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:53 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:

2.Honda and Toyota are the two best automakers on earth. Dollar for dollar pound for pound nothing else beats them.
I loved my corolla and wish I didn't sell it because it really did get me from point a to point b and I didnt care if it got bumped dinged or scratched in the process. It was the most BORING ride ever. But it did exactly the Point A to point B, and it did it well
2012 Camry V6 SE