How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Exclamation Shifter moves freely, car won't start. Please help!

After not having used my SVX for 5 days, I started the car this morning. Everything seemed fine.

After having let it warm up, I pressed the brake and put the shifter in reverse. To my surprise, the shifter was moving freely and effortlessly in all gear (I could barely feel the gear notches) and the car wouldn't go into any gear.

Since I was parked in a slight slope, the car was slowly going backwards, but without any resistance from the engine or transmission, regardless of what gear it was in. So I stopped the engine and put the hand brake back on. Then the car wouldn't start, period. I could no more hear the brake release solenoid when I depressed the brake pedal (it worked fine 5 minutes before), so the shifter was stuck in park. Since the shift lock release didn't seem to allow me to shift into neutral, I dismounted the whole center console to get acces to the shifter mechanism (yes, maybe it was useless).

One thing I did notice while trying to get the engine started (besides the fuel pump priming) was a constant buzzing noise (like a stuck bee) comming from under the car. I think it has to do with the transmission in some way (maybe the valve body solenoids) because when I unpluged one of the harnesses that goes to the TCU, the buzzing stopped.

What are your ideas, and what should be my next move?