Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-27-2012, 01:37 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
4eat technical questions

Im asking some questions about the 4eat to determine if a paddleshift option could be "piggybacked" onto the existing tcu. As well as a 5, or 6spd tranny suits the svx, i think a paddleshift fits the spirit of the car as well.

What i need to know is how the trans shifts from drive back. IE 3-2-1. Is there a mechanical link between the shifter, and the trans, or does the fan switch simply tell the tcu a lower gear has been selected?

My thought process is, that if its just electrical, a small 12v industrial plc can be used to trick the tcu into thinking the shifter has been moved. it would be a simple plug and play solution for any 4eat equipped subie.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Re: 4eat technical questions

While researching, have you considered a sequential gearbox to go with that?
I'm ready to f...
Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
While researching, have you considered a sequential gearbox to go with that?
Considered, yes. Feasible, no. LOL. While im working on an SVX, im looking at a marketable kit i can sell for almost any 4eat equipped Subaru. The Impreza guys would "eat" this up, pun intended lol
Current Stable By Age:
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:16 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

I would probably buy one as I drive uphill a lot and 4EAT is not exactly sporty in those situations.

Why not feasable?
I'm ready to f...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Registered SVX

I don't get it, we already have a downshift paddle, its the gas pedal.

I got them silly paddle shifters in the 2010 legacy, I don't think I have used them accept that first week to try them out..

P.S.
Whoever thought it was a good idea to mount the paddle shifts on the steering wheel, so they change position when your turn the wheel, is a moron.
Instead they should have been on the steering column like the blinkers, so that they don't move.
Really, what good is a paddle-shift when I'm trying to hard corner a right 90º and the up-shift paddle is in my crotch!

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 06-27-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 AM

Registered SVX

I had the select shift on the Accura and it felt silly, shift and wait a second or 2 , or shift down and it won't. The 5 and 6 speed really make the car feel sporty.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Im asking some questions about the 4eat to determine if a paddleshift option could be "piggybacked" onto the existing tcu. As well as a 5, or 6spd tranny suits the svx, i think a paddleshift fits the spirit of the car as well.

What i need to know is how the trans shifts from drive back. IE 3-2-1. Is there a mechanical link between the shifter, and the trans, or does the fan switch simply tell the tcu a lower gear has been selected?

My thought process is, that if its just electrical, a small 12v industrial plc can be used to trick the tcu into thinking the shifter has been moved. it would be a simple plug and play solution for any 4eat equipped subie.
This is an idea that has been kicked around before. Did you search older threads?

I'm sure it could be done.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

I found the paddle shifters on my 2010 Outback to be convenient at times. When the gear selector is in the manual position [+/-] it gives me a little more control of the CVT.

However, I found the paddle shifters work when in the selector is in the auto [D] position. Sometimes while in D, I hit the downshift paddle to shift into a lower gear to slow the car without using the brake. Especially helpful when you want to downshift quickly without taking your hands off the wheelor using the brake.

After downshifting, once you give it gas, it automatically returns to D.

117,000 miles and it hasn't hurt the transmission yet.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 AM

Registered SVX

It's been done - , there are several out there.... one for an example:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ad.php?t=93670

Tapani
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I found the paddle shifters on my 2010 Outback to be convenient at times. When the gear selector is in the manual position [+/-] it gives me a little more control of the CVT.
Are the subaru style paddles attached to the steering wheel or the steering column? Do they turn with the wheel? The ones that turn with the wheel I can see being useful, the ones that are fixed (like the wife's lancer), I find very annoying. A friend has a mkv GTi, and those are small and attached to the back of the wheel. And very comfortable and intuitive I might add.

It would make me proud of subaru if they had done it the way that makes sense.

^ Good find tapani, that looks like pretty much exactly what he wants to do, on the same generation of 4eat.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

The paddles are attached to the wheel and move with it. Very easy to control and and access. When holding the steering wheel, a little tap with you middle finger is all it takes.

When climbing a hill with the CVT, it is much easier to downshift with the paddle than to mash the gas.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 outback paddles.jpg (102.8 KB, 914 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 06-27-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

Yeah, i know about the tcu flash method to create paddleshifted 4eat's. Thats not exactly a user friendly way to go about it. Like i said, im looking to make a plug-n-play setup. As for the tap and wait, the trans should respond quickly, and hold the gear regardless. It'll drive normally unless the paddles are turned on. What i need to know is if the trans is mechanically linked to the shifter in the lower gears, or not. Once i know that, i can decide if my method would be possible.
Current Stable By Age:
Old 06-28-2012, 11:56 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

another paddle shifted automatic?! is that really what we need? in my opinion, the whole point of a paddle shifter is changing gears quicker than the other methods, and in order to do that, i would very much rather switch between 3,2, and 1, so that it feels like a stick too(little bit?)
also the 4eat, or better say my 4eat, doesn't downshift under power...maybe you can get that to work...but I personally am not willing to ruin my SVX with paddle shifters
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 06-29-2012, 04:28 AM

Registered SVX

I looked at doing this a while ago, I actually bought a complete damaged JDM Legacy twin turbo RSK with the intention to keep the parts I needed after I has sold the engine and performance parts to a customer ( I think pics are in my locker still) I didn't go down the route in the end because my car is in excellent condition and I want to keep it factory standard.

It is do able if you buy a compete car and use everything you need from one source.

There is a post somewhere on the net of a guy who has put an eg33 into a 2 door Impreza with an RSK box and running gear with the paddle shift working. I remember talking to a guy at a show who was a Subaru tuner who said the running gear on the SVX and the JDM RSK Legacy is the same (also JDM Forester RS)

Do you guys get the 2.0 twin turbo Legacy in the US or just the 2.5 non turbo?

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Hater

Better yet, would the 5eat work with the SVX? Having had 3 4eat vehicles (SVX, and wife's WRX and FXT), i can say that the 4eat is a POS compared to the 5eat i had in the Legacy GT. I cringe when i have to drive the FXT - it just feels so ancient and crude.

I used to use the shifter for manual shifting, but the steering wheel controls were nice to gear down quickly in snow, or for slowing down to pass a cop without lighting up the brake lights.

I dont follow the technical forums here much anymore, so has s 5eat been thrown in an SVX yet?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)