Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Re: Every member please check in here!

Steve in California.

I am now the owner of a 1992 SVX LS-I.

I'm working long hours right now and haven't had time to get into it yet. The good news is I have plenty of overtime cash for the bits and pieces I will need to get it back up to snuff.

It's in pretty decent mechanical shape, 100,103 miles and mostly complete.

The paint is peeling and the tires are like skateboard wheels.

I'm burning off the gas in the tank with octane boost and driving it about 5 miles a day.

Probably get tires next week and take it out for a real drive.

It starts easy, usually on second turnover, hunts a bit and occasionally bogs down and stalls. Drivers window doesn't work, motor turns. Rear passenger window doesn't work, no sound from motor. A/c doesn't work. Brakes seem to stop her but not driven over 50mph yet. Hood and trunk struts are shot. Sun roof opens with a little push. Drivers door doesn't close flush but seems to close up to the sriker plate(I hate this particular problem 'cos the car has such a fine body shape) Engine is responsive and transmission and drivetrain seem smooth but hard to tell with the Flintstone tires. Has some kind of electrical problem that necessitated the disarming of the alarm system.

Apart from the obvious fix it issues it's a fun little project.

My user name is Dees Ride because Dee is my girls Mums name. Dee was the original owner. I'm from Manchester in the UK but I didn't like the weather. I'm originally an aircraft mechanic now working in the Aerospace industry, mostly doing inspection on SpaceX parts for a fairly large manufacturing company(machine shop)

I don't like putting any vehicle I own in the shop and I have anxiety attacks when I pass a dealership.

Looking forward too communicating with some of the other owners.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:52 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny

Welcome! You will find a wealth of information here to help you in your noble quest to repair such a fine car. Good luck!!
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-11-2018, 01:04 PM

Registered SVX

Dillon in Lincoln, Nebraska.

About three years ago I purchased a claret '92 SVX. I got it for cheap($500) because it needed a new transmission and some suspension work. I got all of that fixed, except for the struts, and put in a transmission and differential from a Forester.

I haven't been driving it much recently as the struts are completely shot. I just graduated college and am now a CAD tech at a civil engineering firm in Lincoln and am looking to get the car running like it's supposed to.

As of now it just needs a new battery and struts. Just not sure which struts to get!
Old 04-11-2018, 01:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny

I'd suggest street coilovers from a 05-07 WRX STi. They will bolt in with minor mods and can be found very cheap. There are also sets specifically for this car, but I gather that the lead time is long and they're more costly.

Welcome, and I hope you get that machine fixed up nice!
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.

1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!

1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-28-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny View Post
I'd suggest street coilovers from a 05-07 WRX STi. They will bolt in with minor mods and can be found very cheap. There are also sets specifically for this car, but I gather that the lead time is long and they're more costly.

Welcome, and I hope you get that machine fixed up nice!
Interesting, WRX suspension under an SVX. How much and what sort of mods are required to do this to my '94 LSi?
Old 04-28-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankk View Post
Interesting, WRX suspension under an SVX. How much and what sort of mods are required to do this to my '94 LSi?
Just look for 05-07 STi coilovers. New or used. I don't know how much, because I didn't go that route, but I have heard they start cheap. From my understanding, modification to the car is minimal. Something about grinding down some material off the rear hub or elongating some bolt holes. Again, I don't know what's involved exactly because I didn't go that route, but I have heard it's really simple.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:29 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankk View Post
Also, there are no mounts on the STI front struts to mount the SVX Sway bar, so something must be done there
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 AM
Recovering EG33 Swap Artist

Registered SVX

Hi, I'm Ryan. I'll be picking up my 115k mile '96 in a month when I'll be taking it to Michigan with me. I'm an engineer and I like to build things.

Once had a hand in building an EG33-powered Honda Insight, so now I'm going to try and keep one running in the car it came with.

Cheers.

Ask me about a certain midengine Honda Insight
Old 05-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpsteer View Post
Hi, I'm Ryan. I'll be picking up my 115k mile '96 in a month when I'll be taking it to Michigan with me. I'm an engineer and I like to build things.

Once had a hand in building an EG33-powered Honda Insight, so now I'm going to try and keep one running in the car it came with.

Cheers.
Welcome. As you may have understood from other posts, parts are becoming sparse, with many having gone EOL already. Skills and motivation is what's needed in this environment now.
I'm ready to f...
Old 06-26-2018, 08:57 AM

Brian here, still lurking..
Old 06-26-2018, 10:06 PM

Registered SVX

Hey everyone!

I just picked up my 92 a couple months ago. It has 84,860 miles on it, has a 98 outback trans (4.44) swapped in, had a red replacement hood that I've painted black, bought the clear center lens to replace the aftermarket grill, and put on a set of STi BBS wheels.

It's very clean underneath and body-wise, but sat for quite a while in storage, so it needs some work. The previous owner hacked off the muffler, and the down pipes are Swiss cheesed. It has a rough idle while in gear and sitting stopped.
I have purchased a high quality vacuum hose replacement kit that I'm hoping will help the rough idle.

I'm looking into a 5 speed swap and maybe rwd swap this year.

Anyways, not sure if I can post pics in here, but attached is a pic of when I picked her up, and a pic of her currently!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-06-26-23-57-16.jpg (214.1 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-06-26-23-57-35.jpg (199.2 KB, 454 views)
Old 07-05-2018, 09:13 PM

Rick from just north of San Fransisco CA.

I just registered with the site the other day but have been lurking here for the last few months researching potential repairs for my original SVX after getting it back from my son who drove it for about 10 years through HS and college until he got his BRZ. This is a 92 Liquid Silver Ls-L with 199,xxx miles and growing. Stock except the radio he put in and SVX spoiler added later.

I also have a 96 LSI in Bordeaux Pearl with 222,xxx miles and growing. Completely stock.

Also have a complete new engine that has never been in a vehicle nor even had oil in it. This was used as a training engine at one of the many Subaru Technician training centers.

Speaking of lurking. I may be new to the site but I am not new to Subaru or new to this group's existence. I was actually present at your 10 year event held at SIA in Indiana and lurked there during your visit to the plant. (Picture attached) As the senior representative for SOA running the Logistics operations in Lafayette I attended your QA with the FHI engineers and SIA staff sitting quietly in the back of the room just in case there were SOA related questions. Still work for SOA, just in a a new location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-014F.JPG (97.6 KB, 436 views)

1996 SVX LSI Bordeaux Pearl 222.600 and going
Old 07-06-2018, 06:14 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Welcome Rick. Nice to see another "Old Rime" original owner on the site.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:47 AM

Yo.

recently purchased a '93 (built 92, not sure if the MY thing is relevant with these).

As far as I can taell, I'm the third owner. Purchased new by QuickSilver (reef cruise company, Port Douglas Australia). funnily enough, its silver. Not sure how quick it is as I heven't got it back on the road yet. Luckily, it's not far off being on the road, gotta do the brake lines, transmission cooler hose change and fix the hoodliner.

Once it's registered I'm going to turn it into a dirt rocket and hit the deserts. Any tips on making it desert resistent greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Up North View Post
Yo.

recently purchased a '93 (built 92, not sure if the MY thing is relevant with these).

As far as I can taell, I'm the third owner. Purchased new by QuickSilver (reef cruise company, Port Douglas Australia). funnily enough, its silver. Not sure how quick it is as I heven't got it back on the road yet. Luckily, it's not far off being on the road, gotta do the brake lines, transmission cooler hose change and fix the hoodliner.

Once it's registered I'm going to turn it into a dirt rocket and hit the deserts. Any tips on making it desert resistent greatly appreciated.
Giday Ben. If you are looking at going across the deserts, check out some of the threads started by
Dynomatt
http://http://www.subaru-svx.net/for...ad.php?t=34904

and Tony.
http://http://www.subaru-svx.net/for...ber.php?u=3741

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.